Thinking of a locking diff for my 2wd, talk me into/out of it

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
I might be a little late to this thread, lol. What do you have for the rear diff in your truck now? Look in the glove box for RPO codes, G756, G80, G81, something like that. If you have a G80 then you are in luck and you just saved yourself $1,000 because you already have a locking rear end. If you have an open or limited slip rear end, just get yourself a $200 lunchbox locker, takes about an hour and a 6-pack to put it in. It will give you an idea of whats it's like to drive with an actual locker without spending a grand.

I have a real Detroit not a true track in my rear end. It's amazing, I run all the trails in Death Valley up and down in 2wd high thanks to the locked rear end. (there are 100ft combined that I used 4x4 low but out of 500+ miles it's not too bad) Daily driving has not been an issue for last 3 years.

If you really itching to spend some cash on a rear locker, look into the OX locker, it's mechanical, less things to break. Elocker is fantastic if you want it to break and be stranded miles from civilization wondering how far you can get in front wheel drive (which you don't have). ARB is a great way to spend more than your truck is worth on a locker.

Ultimately yes a rear locker is great and you should get one. Which one you choose will solely depend on you, your needs and your wants!

Good luck!

skrypj

I am another Truetrac fan if your truck is really meant for daily driver duty and mild/medium offroading. The key benefit is that they are always on, there is no slack, no response time, it just hooks and goes. Doesn't matter if you are on pavement or dirt or whatever. This is a result of it being gear driven as opposed to clutches or centrifugal like a G80.

I ran Truetracs in my Jeep Liberty CRD front and rear and it was an impressive set up in any drive mode(2hi, full time 4, 4hi or 4lo).

Meanwhile, I have a factory e-locker in my F150 and its useless in most situtions. For daily driver duty, and some offroading here and there, I would much rather have the TrueTrac in my truck. I just don't have enough reason to drop $1500 to switch it over from the e-locker.

And even if you do get into a more extreme off-road situation, the truetrac can still work well, especially if your truck has traction control. The truetrac multiplies the torque across the axle. So if the tire with the least traction can make 50 ft-lbs of torque on the ground, the opposite tire can apply 150 ft-lbs. If you get into a situation where the loose tire doesnt have enough traction, the traction control will mimic traction and work in harmony with the truetrac. If you don't have traction control, you just lightly apply the brake and that will usually get it going.

Now that I have a Lexus GX I am kind of wanting to try Truetracs in conjunction with Toyota's A-trac system. I think that would be a killer setup.

Last edited:

Porkchopexpress

I would say a locking or limited slip RWD truck is superior in sand to an open diff. That is probably obvious but I have personally experienced both and can confirm. Having weight over the rear tires compared to an empty bed can also make a difference. I'm not discounting ramblinChets experiments as they seem well thought out and provide valuable information.

billiebob

Don't add a locker. Here's what will happen.

You'll put about $1500 into it. Then you'll find the need to modify something else. More money goes in. Another mod. More money. This will go on several times. How do I know? Because you're on ExPo, and I've done something similar myself.

The result is you'll have an off-road modified 2WD vehicle. Save the money for now . Buy a 4WD and modify it.

Play the long game. You'll come out better in the end.
no, absolutely not. A selectable locker does not add stress, it keeps stress equally distributed across all 4 wheels. Without lockers you need speed and momentum. With lockers you can crawl with control.

PS, walking is the only economical transportation choice.

TripLeader

Explorer
no, you got it backwards. A locker will let you travel slower, Without a locker you will need speed, momentum which will definitely break things. A locker might mean you get thru tougher ******** with smaller tires, again reducing strain on everything mechanical. A locker does not add strain, it reduces strain.

Being critical of adding a locker is like being critical of buying winter tires for a snow storm.

no, absolutely not. A selectable locker does not add stress, it keeps stress equally distributed across all 4 wheels. Without lockers you need speed and momentum. With lockers you can crawl with control.

PS, walking is the only economical transportation choice.

Well, Billie, I guess you're looking for a response from me since you've quoted my post twice.;)

I'm not advocating against lockers. I'm advocating putting them on a 4WD vehicle over a 2WD vehicle. And suggesting to the OP to consider moving to 4WD as an alternative before making modifications for offroad or other traction purposes.

My experience is that one can move very slowly, under control, in 4 Low without breaking mechanical parts. Then a locker can be engaged to provide more traction, if needed. Not to mention swaybar disconnects, airing tire pressures down, and minimizing weight/payload.

Your comments about winter tires and and the economics of walking seem out of place to me, and off-putting. Hopefully I am just wrongly interpreting your delivery.:unsure:

billiebob

Well, Billie, I guess you're looking for a response from me since you've quoted my post twice.;)

I'm not advocating against lockers. I'm advocating putting them on a 4WD vehicle over a 2WD vehicle. And suggesting to the OP to consider moving to 4WD as an alternative before making modifications for offroad or other traction purposes.

My experience is that one can move very slowly, under control, in 4 Low without breaking mechanical parts. Then a locker can be engaged to provide more traction, if needed. Not to mention swaybar disconnects, airing tire pressures down, and minimizing weight/payload.

Your comments about winter tires and and the economics of walking seem out of place to me, and off-putting. Hopefully I am just wrongly interpreting your delivery.:unsure:
definitely a misinterpreation, I hardly track who respond too,

2WD, 4WD which one have you got?
2WD definitely gives a better ride over washboard, a locker definitely improves traction.
The OPs question was with 2WD will a locker be beneficial, resounding YES.
The OP did not ask should I scrap my 2WD overlander and go 4WD.

The OP has a 2WD overlander a locker is a good choice.

PSplease do not respond, you are now on IGNORE

dirtnsmores

I'm kind of in the same boat. Not in a place to trade in my truck just for 4wd, and the current used prices are narly. Trying to decide if I want to install a locker. Southern california terrain. Already have a lift and good tires.

::Squish::

Observer
Back on 03 I needed a small truck, the sort of local Toyota dealership was having a loss leader special on TRD optioned Prerunners, cheaper than the standard pick up.
We got it, in the years since we’ve only been not able to go somewhere twice.
Once was too muddy and steep and once it was too snowy and both times we were running street focused tires.

The lift, tires and locker make it just about the most capable two wheel drive truck out there.

I‘ve never regretted having the locker, or having the cheaper insurance not having a 4x4 gets you.

Last edited:

dirtnsmores

Back on 03 I needed a small truck, the sort of local Toyota dealership was having a loss leader special on TRD optioned Prerunners, cheaper than the standard pick up.
We got it, in the years since we’ve only been not able to go somewhere twice.
Once was too muddy and steep and once it was too snowy and both times we were running street focused tires.

The lift, tires and locker make it just about the most capable two wheel drive truck out there.

I‘ve never regretted having the locker, or having the cheaper insurance not having a 4x4 gets you.

Now I'm trying to decide if I want a TruTrac limited slip or the selectable locker

OllieChristopher

You won't be sorry with your locker!! In fact that is exactly what I have done to me 05 GMC Sierra. I installed 3:73 gears and a TruTrac. I am running 265/75 x 17 tires and could not be happier. I have had a few sketchy encounters but overall my rig will go in most places a 4wd can go and in some instances such as deep sand it will go where a heavy 4wd would get buried.

I have a budget and sticking to it. My truck is light, reliable and paid for. I don't worry about a few scratches either. In my experience all these years be it motorcycling or 4 wheels off road, it is a very small group of enthusiasts that actually take advantage and use these expensive rigs for their intended purpose. I go up into the local mountains and take a Jeep trail and it's almost always empty due to the overgrowth of brush and rocks that can bang up rockers and scratch the sides of your rig.

OllieChristopher

Now I'm trying to decide if I want a TruTrac limited slip or the selectable locker

If your rig is a daily driver then TruTrac all the way. Selectable lockers are and not as reliable or seamless. Trutrac can work like a selectable with a little dancing on the brake or using the E-brake. Now if you plan on frequent rock crawling and getting a wheel chest high in the air then the selectable locker for the win.

dirtnsmores

If your rig is a daily driver then TruTrac all the way. Selectable lockers are and not as reliable or seamless. Trutrac can work like a selectable with a little dancing on the brake or using the E-brake. Now if you plan on frequent rock crawling and getting a wheel chest high in the air then the selectable locker for the win.
It's a Tacoma 2wd daily driver that I use for truck camping in southern California summer Mountain trips and desert winter. forest service roads Mostly dry dirt roads, some sand. Not much rock crawling. Lifted with good tires a few years ago. I feel like my factory limited slip is going out.

twodollars

I'm not familiar with Toyota rear ends, but some oem limited slip diffs are rebuild able. I'm planning on rebuilding the factory unit in my f250, and then parts kit is less than a couple hundred bucks. Goimg to add some more preload so it's more aggressive. May be worth looking into for your truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles