The Rube Goldberg Machine Build - 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock

RubeGoldberg

On the way back from Colorado, I chose to go a different route, partially to avoid Illinois and its horrible roads, and partially to add new states to my list of those I've visited.

The route this time was Colorado -> Kansas -> Oklahoma (overnight stop in OKC) -> Arkansas -> Mississippi (needed to take a conference call, so I stopped to get the tires rotated LOL) -> Alabama (had to stop for a quick couple hours sleep - I was getting too tired to continue on safely, so ended up stopping at a gas station where a ton of truckers were also stopped) -> Georgia (grabbed some Waffle House and a coffee and booked it back to Atlanta).

i-jTnHL6T-L.jpg

Oklahoma

i-VXqj6KK-L.jpg

Arkansas

i-PvTdVh2-L.jpg

Mississippi

i-VjrRStt-L.jpg

Alabama

While this route took marginally longer, I enjoyed it so much, it was the route I used when I moved West. That, and I had a bunch of guns in the Jeep and felt like going through states more accepting of those than Illinois :)

Next up? More wheeling adventure pictures, then some more mods, then some more wheeling adventure pictures!

RubeGoldberg

Speaking of the move out West, that's pretty much what happened almost right after my trip out to Colorado.

Almost as soon as we got there, we were back out in the Jeep.

I ran Kingston Peak again with a different group of friends (but from the other direction), as well as Yankee Hill, before dropping into Alice to check out St. Mary's Glacier.

i-XTCqLGM-L.jpg

i-GzSq4qS-L.jpg

i-SkM7CBc-L.jpg

Later that weekend, we ran Schubarth Trail to catch some of the last of the Aspen trees "blazing" before the leaves fell.

i-ZXvbKSn-X2.jpg

i-TMGfWrP-L.jpg

Next up... more mods!!!

RubeGoldberg

Shortly after moving to Colorado, I decided it was time for a few mods that would make my life easier on the trail.

The parts for the first mod arrived damaged, so I had to sort that out; in the interim, I decided to do some adventuring and camping with a few new friends...

We took a trip down to Buena Vista, stopping in Leadville for lunch. We hit a few trails and even did a little night riding before making camp for the night... Beautiful area.

i-ZQMhFXS-L.jpg

Mount Elbert, Colorado's highest peak, in the distance.

i-Z7qcm8z-L.jpg

i-NRXnKGL-L.jpg

i-5hFGvsS-L.jpg

RubeGoldberg

Okay, back to the mods!

First up: Vector Off-road's JKE-Dock

It could not be a more straightforward, quick and simple installation! The idea here is to use RAM mounts, like you would on the handlebars of something like a KTM, to hold various electronics.

Here's a picture of the JKE-Dock after install, before I added anything to it; nice and clean!

Note: Since I'm writing about the past, I now know that the attachments have gone through several iterations and I'll be covering those iterations as I add to this thread.

i-bDmKXVr-L.jpg

I really like how it makes the tray on the dash effectively about twice as deep, as it allows for larger items to be stored, and keeps things from popping out while on the trail.

We'll revisit this mod a few times in the thread...

RubeGoldberg

Next up: ARB's On-board High Performance Twin Air Compressor

In hindsight, this has been one of my favorite mods. It's also saved my butt once!

A few friends and I threw together a wrenching party and installed 2 or 3 of these in our Jeeps in the same day, and it was AWESOME!

I used MetalCloak's under the hood mounting bracket, which relocates the horn to the same bracket as the compressor.

I ran a lead hose down to location at the front driver's side of the engine bay where we created a bracket using a Simpson tie and a speed nut and some grade 8 hardware. On this bracket, we mounted the quick connect that comes with the ARB hose that they sell for use with the compressor.

The lead hose is to dissipate heat, as several friends have reported that the smaller hoses can overheat and pop due to the PSI this compressor puts out.

Here are a few pics of the install:

i-cmSjGFk-L.jpg

i-h8vptnC-L.jpg

i-V2j2kMZ-L.jpg

i-ss78jXJ-L.jpg

It's super nice to be able to stand up and fill the tires :cool:

i-tXcDgtw-XL.jpg

i-5NPw7vZ-XL.jpg

Oh, and here's a pic from the first trail run with the ARB compressor on-board :cool:

i-RLfhc2D-L.jpg

RubeGoldberg

After the inaugural run with the ARB compressor, we had a little snow in the high country, so I did a little snow riding with a friend...

i-HVgsWtp-L.jpg

i-F2jVwQv-L.jpg

i-vZBLx5f-XL.jpg

RubeGoldberg

Now we are getting to the point of "Black Friday 2016"... What better excuse to buy more parts?

The Black Friday haul...
  • 8-switch sPOD SE (switch panel version, red LEDs)
  • ARB Premium Recovery Kit
  • Factor55 FlatLink (Red)
  • Factor55 Shorty Strap III
  • Maxtrax MkII (Red)
Only two of those need to be installed, so we'll cover those (briefly)!

But first, a picture from a day out on the trails with some friends...

i-Kc2sGV2-L.jpg

8-Switch sPOD SE (Switch Panel Version)

i-9VpWSbS-L.jpg

sPOD and the first iteration of the radio setup...

i-gvZd49H-L.jpg

This is what I refer to as "Command Center MkI"

Next, I got the sPOD installed with the help of a friend. The instructions that come with the sPOD are great, and there are already many and more great threads on installing the sPOD on the internet, so I'm going to skip the step-by-step and just post a few pictures of the "final" installation...

At this juncture in the build, the only functional switch is the first one, which is hooked up to the ARB compressor.

i-kFbCGf2-XL.jpg

i-d7CppQH-L.jpg

This is what I refer to as "Command Center MkII"

Factor55 FlatLink (to replace my existing ProLink...)

i-fZCf4PV-XL.jpg

While the ProLink completely protects the winch line, I like the tucked up profile of the FlatLink better.

After getting the command center put together in MkII fashion, and getting the FlatLink installed, my parents came for a visit and I wanted to take them out in the Jeep. A friend of mine and I got some snow under the tires of our Jeeps and showed my parents the Switzerland Trail!

i-NKfH4Js-L.jpg

Here's a shot of the Maxtrax that I ordered on Black Friday... This shall also be known as "Maxtrax mount MkI" (all I'm using are a couple ROK straps to hold them to the spare).

i-sGjJRJn-L.jpg

The Maxtrax came in handy when I went snowboarding one day at Winter Park. The lot attendants said the lot was "full," so I asked if I could just take a look... :cool:

i-ZdpVz2J-L.jpg

Last edited:

RubeGoldberg

So, remember that tire carrier mod I said we would be revisiting? The time is NOW!

I swapped out the TeraFlex HD Hinged Carrier & Adjustable Tire Mounting Kit (that's a mouthful) and the TeraFlex JK Third Brake Light Extension Mount Kit (another mouthful) for the AEV JK Tire Carrier (not a mouthful) and the AEV Fuel Caddy (also not a mouthful). What's up with the super long product names on TeraFlex's tire carrier?
clear.png

Nothing was wrong with the TeraFlex carrier, I just have some plans in the near future that will require I have about 10 gallons of extra fuel, in addition to a full tank in the Jeep, and the Fuel Caddy fit the bill for that. I also grew to like the design and functionality of the AEV tire carrier (fuel caddy, hi-lift mount, shovel mount, mast for work / backup light and antennas) after staring at 3 of them all the time when I wheel. What are friends for, if not to make you spend more money on your Jeep?

We had a wrenchfest at my buddy's house and installed two of the carriers (and one AEV rear bumper) all in a day's work. We're both happy campers.

i-Q7kGz3F-XL.jpg

i-73MshDz-XL.jpg

i-VTxn9Zf-L.jpg

Next, a friend and I wired up the magnetic base for the Baofeng's antenna. We ran it from the top of the AEV tire carrier's mast through the passenger side floorboards up to the dash.

i-r8pLNwv-XL.jpg

And here's "Command Center MkIII" -- Some of you may recognize those switchbacks on the iPad Mini...

i-d7CppQH-M.jpg

RubeGoldberg

The next mod was a set of Rigid Industries SR-M diffused backup lights. I mounted these on top of the mast of the AEV tire carrier, and ran some clean wiring through the tailgate door to the inside of the Jeep and down the passenger side, through the firewall, across the engine bay and over to the sPOD. Bright little suckers!

i-f6FrmWB-L.jpg

i-nxcKhQT-M.jpg

RubeGoldberg

The last mod for a while would be the JK Trailgater with Bamboo Cutting Board by Outback Adventure Products.

Installation is a breeze and it comes with well written instructions (although because it's a big hunk of kitchen grade stainless steel and bamboo, it is easier with two people - one to hold the Trailgater while the other one mounts it to the Jeep).

i-cmRjNpN-L.jpg

i-R5QRB4d-L.jpg

RubeGoldberg

Alright... so time to take a little break from the build and put all these mods to use! Some friends and I did some adventuring in NW CO / NE UT / SW WY... The trip was roughly 1,000 miles off-road across 4 days, with three nights of camping.

Here's some pics!

i-XkWGMKP-L.jpg

i-DHQrJs3-L.jpg

i-Q7vL4WB-L.jpg

i-cQ62HN9-L.jpg

i-hTQ6CWM-L.jpg

i-kvPS2gt-L.jpg

i-pmsbbBg-L.jpg

i-3MK7MxL-L.jpg

i-6TKHKZ9-L.jpg

i-MK28GtN-L.jpg

i-sGbv9GW-L.jpg

i-vhHgCbW-L.jpg

i-KNcZkSJ-L.jpg

i-6gfQnNR-L.jpg

i-tgvxJqz-L.jpg

i-7Q9VQvg-L.jpg

RubeGoldberg

awesome build man! why the AEV over the TF carrier set up?

Hey @RacerAV thanks!

I switched to the AEV carrier over the TF carrier for a few reasons... The main reason being that I started taking annual trips that require about 10 gallons of auxiliary fuel... and the AEV Fuel Caddy holds 10.2 gallons. The photos in post #42 are from one of those trips. We get so far out, we literally run the Jeeps almost out of gas, or completely out and refuel in the field. I just couldn't find a way to carry this much fuel, other than the Fuel Caddy, that was as integrated looking and as easy to use in the field. The idea of strapping a bunch of Rotopax to the Jeep in some way or another didn't appeal to me, and to carry that much fuel in Rotopax would require a minimum of 3 Rotopax containers. Finding a way to carry that on the outside of the Jeep presented a challenge in and of itself, even using a roof rack. Plus, dealing with three different containers at gas stations, and taking them up and down off a rack (especially when full), and having to empty 3 separate containers into the tank during an in-field fuel up just made the whole idea less and less appealing. I'm sure there are some folks that love the Rotopax, but in thinking through practical use, I wrote them off. Plus, everyone that I know that has them (granted, not that many people) has had trouble with the mounts breaking and the Rotopax falling off the Jeep. Maybe this is unique to the folks that I know which had them attached to the Maximus-3 and TF carriers in ways that there is some degree of movement of the Rotopax (and thus dynamic load stressing the mounts).

The idea of just having one tank that looks extremely integrated into the Jeep just seemed like the perfect solution to my need to carry fuel.

Also, the AEV carrier is, in my opinion, a beautiful amalgamation of design, engineering, and function. It can hold an impressive amount of weight, up to a 40" spare (or a 37" spare with the AEV Fuel Caddy equipped), along with a hi-lift jack or pull pall, a shovel, Maxtrax, and has a mast for antenna(s) and rear lights. It also swings open with the gate, doesn't rattle or squeak, and is slightly offset in it's design (which drives some people nuts) but allows for easier access to the tailgate door handle with larger spare tires, which is nice when the jeep is covered in dirt or mud.

Longer response than I thought I was going to type when I started out, but hopefully it helps you or someone that's struggling with the same fuel needs / decisions on tire carriers.

The TF carrier is a great product, just didn't meet my needs as well as the AEV carrier.

Cheers! :coffee:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz