The Rig Runner ...a 2010 E350 5.4 DIY Coil Conversion

Raul

Adventurer
I've installed the MaxxFan. On the "Stealth Van" part of the project I think I am failing miserably. Last thing I needed to keep a "low profile" was this big mushroom on top.

IMG_3719.JPG

Installation was pretty straight forward. If you want to install it centered you have to cut two ridges. If you can live with a little bit of offset, you can cut only one. I've framed the inside to provide some reinforcement and to have better support for the screws. I was afraid of wind noise driving on the highway, but on the closed position doesn't make much noise. You can tell it is there, but not too bad. I love the plywood insert on the headliner. My main goal was to gain a few inches of headroom, but works great to run wiring that you forgot or when you need to cut extra holes.

IMG_3706.jpg

Continuing with the interior. Galley unit is installed. I moved the seat bracket closer to the wall to increase the pass trough when using the captain chairs. The galley latches on the seat bracket at the bottom and to an "L" bracket bolted to the body on the top right. It is very solid. The airplane table turned great. I need to finish the floor insert and the wall. I will be gluing some aluminum "L" profile with heat conducting glue as heat sink on the sides of the fridge to improve head dissipation and add an extra inch of insulation on the door.

IMG_3713.jpg

Next is install the batteries and the electric panel. I wanted to do two golf cart batteries in series, but they are too tall and will not fit on the frame boxes. I went with two group 27 deep cycle batteries.

Raul

Adventurer
Not much to report. I was planning to do an East Coast Summer Road Trip with my daughters but the passing of my father changed all those plans. Houston heat, feeling blue and not having a trip in sight, have left this project on stand by.

I am going over and over about replacing the wheels. For what I need, the current ones are fine but on the aesthetic front I wish a wider stance. The best compromise would be to get just new rims with 4.5" backspacing and use my current tires. I am scouting for some decent deal on Craigslist, but most of the rims are ugly, busy design and chromed. A few good deals popped up but I am not interested in 20" rims. It is interesting to see what people define as 40% of thread left... really, a bald tire has 40% of life left... Am I supposed to replace the tire when the internal wires start to show or when the tire blows up.

On the Death Wobble front, after one single issue on our early summer trip to Colorado I had a minor shake up on the railroad crossing by my house.
22222.JPG

This has been my suspension test facility. At the worst of my DW saga, it will shake like crazy just passing it at slow speed. After increasing the caster and the addition of an old drag link (Red on the picture) as Track Bar bracket (Yellow) reinforcement it has worked quite well. Few days ago i got a little shake passing the tracks (20%0 of what used to be. I shortened the rod by tightening the adjustment (green). After that I've not been able to replicate the DW and I've tried. Short of getting any air, I've tried several speeds. All this without steering stabilizer, i want to make sure the platform is solid, or as solid as possible before I add them.
IMG_3195.JPGe.jpg

Raul

Adventurer
Not a lot of progress, but I am all for celebrate even the small accomplishments. I had to change the catalytic converters. After a few weeks knowing that I had a leak that I need top address, one of the cats broke by the connecting point to the pipe. Of course it was the one that sits on top of the re-routed one. Since they have to remove one to reach the other, I just changed both. Now it doesn't sound like something that is going too fall apart. \

I also had chance to finish the floor on the "living room". This central portion of the floor is bolted using the 4 bolts for the seat bracket and flushed under the fridge. Remove the 4 bolts. Remove the floor and wall retaining bolt from the fridge and the galley comes out and two captain chairs go in.
IMG_4090ed.jpgIMG_4088ed.jpg

Raul

Adventurer
New Shoes. Well, new to me. I didn't want to spend $1,500 on some wheels that I may not like. I got these on Craigslist SD Series Diesel 18x9 rims and 325/65R18 tires. I hate chrome and it is peeling anyway so I'll be painting them down the road.

The tires are going to be good for a couple of weeks. On a quick loop around the neighborhood they feel Ok at 45 psi. The idea is to see if I like them and get a new set of Falken Wild Peak AT3W. I am leaning more towards 305/65R18 or 295/70R18.

IMG_4133RS.jpg
Side by side with the stock f350 wheels 275/70R18
IMG_4149_Edit.jpg
With the new shoes on her natural habitat :confused:
IMG_4148RS.jpg

The most important think: I like the looks.

Justgosurfin

Wildpeaks are awesome. I’ve have them on a few trucks now. Excellent traction, quiet and a really good value. If you don’t mind lugging them around to get mounted discount tire direct had a deal on them when I bought last month.

Raul

Adventurer
The wheel swapping didn't go without drama. back pain for the rest of the weekend and ER trip on Tuesday as I was not bale to get out of bed. Rest, muscle relaxant and anti-inflammatories and almost back on my feet. Careful when handling 90+ lbs wheels.

I've driving around with the new wheels for few days and I like the ride (45 psi), I may have lost a little bit of acceleration but I can still accelerate on the hwy on ramps and do not feel loosing any speed on climbing the overpasses (This is Houston, TX and these are the only elevation changes in miles).

Wheels.JPG

I've run some numbers on this table and I am looking at different factors:

RATIOS
Option 1 is the van's oem with the original ratios. Option 2 is what I have after the gear change and 4x4 conversion with F350 wheels. Gear/wheel ration increased by 1.2%. I didn't have any issues driving the mountain roads in New Mexico or Colorado.
I am running Option 5 today but the tires are pretty worn down so I need to replace them. The speedometer is spot on with the GPS. It was also spot on with option 2. I am guessing the wear on this tires is putting the diameter close to the 33.4 of the fairly new michelins I was running.
If I go with option 4 (305/65/18) the ration will be close to what I had until now. If I do option 5 (325/65/18) the ratio will be 4.2% higher than the van original configuration and 3.0% taller than the f350 wheels.

WEIGHT
Option 5 is 10 lbs heavier than option 4. Harder to install and handle (see my recent trip to the ER). From a Rotational Inertia, that weight is in the outside where it affects the most to the acceleration.

COMFORT
To keep the same 2,500 lbs capacity per wheel, option 2 (f350 wheels) has to be at 55 psi. Option 4 at 46 and option 5 at 42.1. I think that both 4 and 5 will give me a smoother ride compare wit what I've been running with slightly advantage fro the 325

RIM SIZE
The new rims are 18x9. Options 2,3,4 and 5 will work, but option 4 (305/65/18) seem to be optimal for 9" rims

COST
Going whit Falken A/T3W I can get Option 2 (275/70) for around $800. Option 4 (305/65) for $1200 and option 5 (325/65) for $1100 (surprisingly cheaper).

AESTHETICS
The main change, I think is coming from the rims sticking further out. Between 305 and 325 I do not think is going to be very noticeable as they will fill the fender quite wheel, and they are only 1" in difference.

I am leaning over option 4 (305/65R18) but any feedback will be appreciated.

Raul

Adventurer
Well, after driving the wheels for a couple of weeks I decided on the new tires: Falken Wildpeak AT3W 305/65r18. I never liked the chrome so by the time I factor new installation, stripping or sanding the crome, painting,.. getting a half-a.. wheels, i got a good deal at my local Discount Tire and got new wheels. 18x9 -12offset (4.5 backspacing)

IMG_4332er.jpg

Here it shows the difference in stiles.
IMG_4338er.jpg

And this is the final result.

I've only driven 6 miles but it seems the tires are a lot quieter (new tires always are, but still). Speedo is 1 mile faster than the GPS so the gearing is slightly shorter, with the 325/65 the speed was spot on.

So far, I am a happy camper.

Raul

Adventurer
After a week with the new wheels I am very happy. I was not expecting the ride quality to improve as much as it has. I am guessing it is because I am able to run lower pressure on the tires, in addition to the tire themselves.

As shown on the table I posted earlier, to have the same load capacity of 2,500 lbs per tire I can run 45 psi on these tires instead of 55 on the original F350. It seems more responsive than with the used 325's (Weight difference?)

Now I need to sell two sets of tires. One almost new OEM F350 with Michelins ($600) and the used chrome wheel ($300)

Raul

Adventurer
Time for another update.

After getting the wheels, feeling the van driving right and no wobble issues, I decided it was time to just verify and set the alignment properly. Regular shops (Firestone or small alignment places) will not touch my van so I went to a place that does a lot of lifted 4x4 trucks. I insisted in "lost of caster"

at the first attempt the got this:
hlk.jpg
and left the drive side like this:
IMG_4422r.jpg
They didn't torqued up the nut so I have to get back and ended like this:

IMG_4482e.jpg

In theory with the F350 specs so I should be happy. I wasn't. The van track straight and didn't do anything weird, even over bumps, but it didn't feel right. I wanted to install a steering stabilizer once I would feel confident in the transformation so I did. I didn't think I really need it so I went with a sensible option. Rough Country N3
IMG_4475.JPG

I like them, but the iffyness was still there. So I check for the more aggressive cams I could get and found these: SPC 23268 and 23269 one is for the driver and the other for the passenger side.

IMG_4524.JPG
They changed the complete driving experience. Probably I could use some more caster, but to accomplish it I should lift the front or modify the radius arms. For now I am quite pleased. I should take comfort thinking that they adjust the toe. Otherwise it was a waste of money.

I also had an issue with the brake calipers-The sliding pin got lock and the pad was dragging- so I decided to change them and put new Hawk SD pads.
IMG_4514.JPG

Now I should focus on finishing the inside and get ready for the Christmas ski trip.

Last edited:

Raul

Adventurer
Back from the Christmas trip. Houston, TX to Crested Butte, Co. 2500+ Miles. Average mpg 10.4 at a fast clip.

Modifications evaluation:
* Tires: I love them! these Falken AT3W are awesome. Not noisy on the highway and great performance on the snow.The house we rented had a very steep driveway and I was able to get out with 4 inches of fresh snow without any drama. My friend on a CX-9 AWD was sliding all over the place and had to wait until the driveway was cleaned. (after that I didn't heard my wife asking "Why do we need this monstrosity?" ever again.
On the way back we stopped at the Great Sand Dunes National Park and took the Medano Primitive road. Usually they recommend to lower the pressure to 20 psi. Only about 3 miles of the trail was open but we did it with no issue at normal pressure (It was cold and there was snow so the sand was quite packed).
Quite please with the size too. As shown on the table I posted earlier, I am only 1.3% higher ratio than the original van set up. For my load, it felt right even on the mountains - yes, when trying to go fast in the mountains it downshift and screams above 4500 rpm, but not for too long.

*Double steering stabilizers: Pointless. I guess with bigger tires they may provide some benefit. After the first day on the highway (around 600 miles) I took them off. I could not bear the lack of feeling from the wheels. It was exhausting!. The van feels a lot better without them. No Death Wobble without them.

* Brakes: very pleased after the new calipers and Hawk SD pads. No emergency braking to test them, but very good feeling and never felt short.

* Flexy flares: They do work. they may not be as cool as the Bushwaker, but for a fraction of the price they do quite a decent job.

IMG_0288e.jpg

Do not try clicking the nex picture. It is an screen shot.

drivewaye.jpg

IMG_4651.JPG

IMG_4780.jpg
IMG_0575.jpg
IMG_4800e.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz