The Perfect Brew........!

• Thread starter Scenic WonderRunner
  • Start date

DarinM

Explorer
I found a pretty good beer last week in Colorado. Went to the San Luis Valley Brewing Company in Alamosa and tried the Valle Caliente. Very clean tasting lager, extremely refreshing with an awesome little hit of green chile to finish. I bought all they had to bring home with me. That was 4 bottles. Sad.

http://slvbrewco.com/brews/valle-caliente :beer:

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
it is kind of funny but I am from Chico, where Sierra Nevada is made and while I can slowly sip down a Summerfest, it is not my fave and I don't care for anything else they make. I am more of a tecate/ corona/ coors light/ Bud light guy. IF I am Gonna Drink Beer.
Right now I am more into Diet Coke and -
jackdanielshoney.jpg

FLYFISHEXPERT

LivingOverland.com
Well I have been working on a new project for the blog I am calling 'The 12 Beers of Christmas'. Each day I will be posting a new beer review on the blog and sharing it here on ExPo. I hope you enjoy.

Day 1:
Snake River Zonker Stout
DSC_9851.jpg

Aroma:
Hints of cocoa, molasses, and roasted notes.

Appearance:
Pours a rich dark brown with a thin tan head. Good amount of lacing.

Flavor:
Rich and chocolate beginning turning to a light espresso and finishing with hoppy notes.

You can find more reviews on our blog www.LivingOverland.com or by clicking here.

FLYFISHEXPERT

LivingOverland.com
Day 2: Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale

DSC_9854.jpg

Aroma:
Mellow hop and caramel aromas.

Appearance:
Pours a dark amber with a medium thick head that is tan in color. Lacing was thin and the head quickly faded.

Flavor:
The oak flavor is first to hit the tongue but is quickly followed by bitter and pine hop flavors. Finishes quickly and dry.

Overall:
I really enjoy the original Arrogant Bastard Ale, it is one of my favorites, but was less than impressed with this version. Perhaps it was an 'off-bottle' but I didn't think the flavors meshed together. Perhaps another bottle is in order. I may revisit this after Christmas.

You can find more reviews on our blog www.LivingOverland.com.

FLYFISHEXPERT

LivingOverland.com
Day 3: Bison Brewing Organic Gingerbread Ale

DSC_9861.jpg

Aroma:
Dominant ginger and spice notes but not much else and not overwhelming.

Appearance:
Pours a deep brown/black with a medium thick head that is cream/tan in color. Heavy rings of lacing remaining.

Flavor:
Starts off with a light molasses flavor and finishes with medium gingerbread as expected but with bitter tones.

Overall:
I was underwhelmed with this beer. The flavor was thin and predictable to begin but the lingering bitter finish was not expected.

FLYFISHEXPERT

LivingOverland.com
Day 4: Ninkasi Brewing Company Total Domination IPA

DSC_9862.jpg

Aroma:
Faint floral nose with hints of citrus and pine.

Appearance:
Pours a translucent copper with a thick cream colored head and a fair amount of lace.

Flavor:
Bitter grapefruit notes to start but quickly transitioning to a rather astringent bitterness that seems to linger far too long.

Overall:
I enjoyed the starting grapefruit flavors and wished they would have carried farther farther along. By itself, I did not care for the finish but it would probably work well with an overly sweet dessert.

Jiggity

Observer
Stone Ruination (2nd best brewery tour)
New Belgium Ranger (Best brewery tour)
Columbus Brewing Company Pale Ale and IPA (smallest and 3rd best brewery tour)
Northern Brewer American Pale Ale extract kit (closest brewery tour)
Caribou Slobber kit (=closest brewery tour)

FLYFISHEXPERT

LivingOverland.com
Day 5: Heretic Brewing Evil Cousin Imperial IPA

DSC_9876.jpg

Aroma:
Wonderful floral and apple nose. I really enjoyed the smell of this beer.

Appearance:
Poured a clear amber with a thin white colored and minimal lace.

Flavor:
Very hop forward with a little citrus note following along. There was minimal pine flavor and it finished very crisply with only the slightest bit of lingering bitter.

Overall:
I was mesmerized by the wonderful aroma of this Imperial IPA. It flowed well into the flavor which was well balanced and crisp. I really enjoyed this beer.

Day 6: Anderson Valley Brewing Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout

DSC_9939.jpg

Aroma:
Oats and chocolate dominate the smell but there is a hint of coffee there too.

Appearance:
Poured a deep black with a thick tan colored head and thin lacing.

Taste:
The taste is very mild and surprisingly thin. The oats and chocolate are there and they are a little toasty. The flavor is very smooth and finishes quickly.

Overall:
I thought the flavor good but I was expecting it to be heavier and thicker with more character. I would say was an average stout.

Day 7: Sierra Nevada Celebration

DSC_9948.jpg

Aroma:
Lots of spice and hops are abundant and sweet smelling.

Appearance:
Clear amber colored body with a thick and heavy white head. There is a little bit of noticeable carbonation.

Taste:
Follows the aroma with spice, hops and a little pine. The flavor is clean and dry, finishing crisply.

Overall:
I am not usually one for winter seasonal ales but I thought Celebration was balanced. It was not overly spiced and the balanced hops worked well to round off the flavor.

Day 8: New Belgium Brewing Snow Day Winter Ale

DSC_9950.jpg

Aroma:
Mild hop, chocolate, and caramel with a hint of pine.

Appearance:
Dark espresso with a heavy cream colored head that quickly falls leaving heavy lacing on the glass.

Taste:
Sweet nutty flavor with chocolate and hints of coffee. The finish is mild with a hint of pine.

Overall:
I found this beer to be very smooth. I enjoyed the espresso and chocolate flavors; although they didn't 'blow my mind'. This was a decent beer.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
The Beer Cave.

well, something strange happened today. We stopped in a small convenience store in Cap Rouge, a suburb of Quebec City.

I walked in and I found myself walking in a labyrinth of coolers and shelfs full with all sort of beers, most of them I have never heard of.

Apparently they have the largest selection in Canada, over 700 different sort of beers right now!

http://www.depdelarive.com/main.php?action=Ledep

carte-moins.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94