The old 1999 build thread

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Almost finished, turned out OK. Wish I had gone down to 60 grit before painting but meh. I made the body pieces between paint coats, shaped then welded them in (fully welded but i forgot to take a pic finished). Still need to make some extra attaching points to the frame and new rear frame snatch points.

20180726_185333.jpg20180726_185412.jpg20180726_185516.jpg20180726_185550.jpg20180726_185631.jpg20180726_185830.jpg

Toasty

_Ha ha, yeah. Since i quit Adventure Driven Design i probably shouldn't say that anymore. I don't want anyone getting confused by my behavior on the internet so from now on when i go off on some hyperfocused rapidly changing something or other it's just a regular autism moment.

Speaking of...

_A bunch of pages back I built a cool axle for an SAS, decided not to SAS because i love how my IFS handles and had another SAS'd truck anyway. I then rebuilt my IFS stonger and better than ever, my IFS took me everywhere, it was great and i was so happy...

_Fast forward to now, i'm rebuilding my UCAs and replacing another Idler arm that didn't survive the Rubicon. I'm sure as i disassemble i'll find more things, typical.

_The plan is to tune it up so i can get back on the trail then start assembling the parts cache for the SAS, at least i've been down this road before and this time i'm going to do it a little different and better. I can make the truck handle like i want it to and i can make it keep it's ability to haul ass offroad (not that i do that often but i do like a safe offroad cruise speed), I'll be doing two Monteros in tandem exactly the same.

_ I sold all my stuff from the last bout with SAS'ing, this round will be built Dana 44 on adjustable radius arms, all rubber bushed and coil overs. I'm actually going to take detailed photos, measurements and post a parts lists for those of you following along at home. I know "said that before!" but it's different this time because i have some good friends helping me and they have cell phones with cameras on them so documented for realz!

_Also I will make CAD files for the Montero SAS bracketry making it easier for you (YES YOU!) to play along at home when the time comes. I'll document the swap in it's own thread CUT AND PASTED across all of the Montero forums and the parts i make in the process will be open source YAY!

_I won't however be making any extra things for anyone, i recently took a promotion at my regular job out of nowhere. So now i run two shops and my leftover time is at a premium which the missus and crouton get first dibs on.

JamesW

Adventurer
That bumper is gorgeous, it is giving me ideas for mine now.

You could go for the Japanese tails too, they've everything in them as they have no low mounted bumper lights

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Toasty

I had those but broke one and just never replaced it, I'll get a new set eventually.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
_Ha ha, yeah. Since i quit Adventure Driven Design i probably shouldn't say that anymore. I don't want anyone getting confused by my behavior on the internet so from now on when i go off on some hyperfocused rapidly changing something or other it's just a regular autism moment.

Speaking of...

_A bunch of pages back I built a cool axle for an SAS, decided not to SAS because i love how my IFS handles and had another SAS'd truck anyway. I then rebuilt my IFS stonger and better than ever, my IFS took me everywhere, it was great and i was so happy...

_Fast forward to now, i'm rebuilding my UCAs and replacing another Idler arm that didn't survive the Rubicon. I'm sure as i disassemble i'll find more things, typical.

_The plan is to tune it up so i can get back on the trail then start assembling the parts cache for the SAS, at least i've been down this road before and this time i'm going to do it a little different and better. I can make the truck handle like i want it to and i can make it keep it's ability to haul ass offroad (not that i do that often but i do like a safe offroad cruise speed), I'll be doing two Monteros in tandem exactly the same.

_ I sold all my stuff from the last bout with SAS'ing, this round will be built Dana 44 on adjustable radius arms, all rubber bushed and coil overs. I'm actually going to take detailed photos, measurements and post a parts lists for those of you following along at home. I know "said that before!" but it's different this time because i have some good friends helping me and they have cell phones with cameras on them so documented for realz!

_Also I will make CAD files for the Montero SAS bracketry making it easier for you (YES YOU!) to play along at home when the time comes. I'll document the swap in it's own thread CUT AND PASTED across all of the Montero forums and the parts i make in the process will be open source YAY!

_I won't however be making any extra things for anyone, i recently took a promotion at my regular job out of nowhere. So now i run two shops and my leftover time is at a premium which the missus and crouton get first dibs on.

I was definitely referring to your ADD, I thought mine was bad until I read your thread, just funny that the company has the same "ADD".

Toasty

I thought it was clever. One of my original ideas for the company name was Mothfūkel Engineering but nobody liked it. Those days are gone and I'm just Toasty meow.

Toasty

Update! Replaced my idler arm and UCA's with some used OEM stuff to get me by with the '99. Then i rebuilt my IFS and steering on my '91, that job went smoothly and it drives super smooth meow. All of it's IFS was original 1991 so it was long overdue for a refresh. I'll do the rear suspension and SR axle install soon, I'll try to make a video but I'm kind of better at just knocking out the work.

Here's how i remove the left frame side bushing from the truck without removing the front axle like in the FSM. I just cut a chunk out of an exhaust adapter from Autozone. You just need to nibble off a little bit to clear the diff bracket and unbolt the x member mount so you can jack up the axle a bit. It's really easy, mine is cut a lot more than needed because i actually made it for something else and it happened to work for this too.

Notice how i didn't remove the torsion anchor, that keeps you from having to index the bars again. I'd recommend marking it in case you accidentally remove it while it's off.

20180824_102150.jpg

Toasty

Dude we gotta hit that jerkwad with the pressure washer and suds and scrubby mail and black paint! :)

Yeah I want to make it really pretty, it only has 111k miles and deserves to be loved.

...but first it gets maintenance love in the form of new everything.
20180905_125232.jpg

Toasty

My trucks got bumped back another few days while i make a high and tight front bumper for this '97 SR.
20180905_082108.jpg

Toasty

Almost done with this simple '97 SR bumper for now, it'll be back later for more. Tomorrow I'll cap the frame rails, add light mounts and winch plate. Probably do some hoops and wrap the corners a different day. Also tomorrow i'll rebuild the rear suspension on my '91 and another friend's '96 LS at the same time. All this AFTER i work my regular shift at my normal job, I take over as foreman tomorrow HOORAY!!!

20180906_130156.jpg20180906_130037.jpg20180906_130045.jpg

This morning I requested a quote on a custom walnut AC console cap/trey (the thing I'm pointing at above the HVAC controls), interior door handles and a two din bezel to match the single din radio bezel for the '91 in case i find a functioning Montero two din radio.
20180906_081416.jpg
I think that will look really good, debating the center console lid though. Right now it's a padded arm rest and i really like it BUT it might be nicer if it were a matching walnut lid with cup holders built in. I don't know, but what i do know is that a song from the new Dimmu Borgir album came on the radio today and well there goes another $12 from the Montero fund. So there's a little less wood i can get ;)

AZPAJERO

Observer
Could not be happier with Toasty’s latest front bumper creation. From the “tucked” look to the finishing touches on the light mounts......that boy GOOD!!

Thanks again dude!!!

82490349275f15a618ac966f2ac6078e.jpg

a35e40b61665d6da6089d9cd23c86441.jpg

3da279174c59430718021a4c2da9688c.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toasty

Let me know when you are ready to wrap those corners and make templates for the rear wrap around dude!

Toasty

Small update, picking up the new Dana 44 on Saturday. Since PA_JERO and I are doing the same build simultaneously he ordered my axle/differential rebuild kit and gave me a new Yukon 4.88 gear set and i ordered our axle truss kits this morning. Parts are inbound! Probably going to buy some new ARB air lockers this week too! It's getting real!

I'll make a parts list once everything has been ordered too but so far it's the following X2

Wagoneer Dana 44, Master overhaul kit for diff and hubs, Spicer Balljoints, Yukon 4.88 for me and 5.38 for PAJ and Next Venture Wagoneer Truss.

Waggy-44-Front-Truss-CMP.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94