The Memorial F150 Craptor.

dbhost

I'm still here. Still trying to wrestle the alleged crate motor out of the mechanic that flaked on me. However some progress. I know accessory, but I sorted through my wrench sets, and came up with a mostly complete set of both SAE and metric, a quick run to a pawn shop had the sets completed, and then an order at Amazon and I have them in a nice wrench roll pouch that will stow nicely under the back seat... Trail tools just like dear old Dad had!

dbhost

To those following. I pulled my last resort as far as the original mechanic goes today. I went ahead and filed a challenge with PayPal with their buyer protection. I have sufficient evidence between text exchanges between myself and the mechanic, and one of my best friends that introduced us and the mechanic. He has repeatedly failed to come up with the parts I already paid for, so I am calling for my money back via PayPal. The worst part is, I doubt he has the money in his account, that isn't going to be my problem though, I just didn't want him to have to suffer the legal problems that will come his way when PayPal pursues this... I know it was a total jerk move on my part, but it was the only option I have, and I was trying everything I could to give him a chance to make good...

1000arms

To those following. I pulled my last resort as far as the original mechanic goes today. I went ahead and filed a challenge with PayPal with their buyer protection. I have sufficient evidence between text exchanges between myself and the mechanic, and one of my best friends that introduced us and the mechanic. He has repeatedly failed to come up with the parts I already paid for, so I am calling for my money back via PayPal. The worst part is, I doubt he has the money in his account, that isn't going to be my problem though, I just didn't want him to have to suffer the legal problems that will come his way when PayPal pursues this... I know it was a total jerk move on my part, but it was the only option I have, and I was trying everything I could to give him a chance to make good...
:unsure: ... Hmm, the only person you were being a jerk to was yourself by waiting so long to file. ... You have repeatedly tried to work with the mechanic. You AREN'T the jerk! :)

dbhost

So my money has been refunded via PayPal. I went ahead and ordered up via PowerTrain Products. 5.4L 3V, no phaser lockouts but instead all TSBs applied, 7 year unlimited mileage no fault warranty. Should be delivered to my friends place Friday. Ordered belts, hoses, idler, tensioner, thermostat, motor mounts, etc... from Amazon today, all either Gates or Motorcraft so no junk parts.

And just to make things interesting, this weekend is supposed to be shooting down back into the 40s in Texas, and we are going to be working on a concrete slab in front of his barn. Going to be shivery...

Making a trade, buying my friend a 12 ton Harbor Freight shop press, for trade of labor. I've never done them, he has. Swapping the open diffs for Detroit TrueTracs and 4.11 gears

Due to the shortness of the warranty only being 1 year, am going to wait until we are just about done putting the truck back together to order the 200 amp alternator for the rig... Unless someone can recommend a good 160amp or better alternator with a good long warranty that is...

dbhost

Have not ordered the diff's install kits or gears yet but that's coming.

I'm probably pouring far too much money into a truck that doesn't have much value for anyone else.

I've seen similar vintage F150 super cab 4 by four's going for about 15 grand The difference being is thstet I'm putting the money it to where I wanted it in the 1st place there's not a truck in existence that's exactly the way I want.

Like I said early on this project it's sentimental value and the time I spent with my late wife in this truck one of the things she wanted was for me to finish that truck up so we can travel to offbeat places.

I'm going to do just that.

dbhost

Reviewing the included components etc... Apparently PowerTrain Products ships these things with Dorman VVT solenoids. Ordered up a pair of Motorcraft solenoids, as well as the set of Motorcraft coil packs. Looking for a radiator. I figure since I am in here, might as well go fully new...

started trimming out the front of the engine. Yay....

dbhost

Motor mounts arrived, I believe I mentioned we started lining up the parts to bolt to the engine for the install. I need to find the bolts but for now, the bolts for the water pump, are still on the water pump...

The question has been posed. do we use some kind of anti sieze on the plugs prior to install to keep the ceramic from sticking, or are the newer redesigned plugs not prone to sticking in the cylinder heads?

Dougnuts

I always use a dab on anti-seize on the threads of spark plugs. I’ve never had a 5.4 with the two piece design though, but I imagine it would be a good idea.

dbhost

I know about using anti sieze on the threads, I have no clue about that long ceramic snout on these dumb things.

As much as I love this truck, I would LOVE an old school pushrod V8 before they started fiddling with all this overhead cam / fiddly variable timing stuff with the funny spark plugs.

dbhost

On the idea better safe than sorry, ordered a new Four Seasons AC compressor and receiver dryer. Making space in the shop to work, and realizing that front bumper has to come off... it gets in the way...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94