The Map is Not the Territory: A Northern Maine Adventure

epicxcrider

Observer
DAY FOUR: SUNDAY 9.25.11 _________________ 111 Miles

IMG_7522-1.JPG

For the third day in a row I awoke to Chirp licking my face. She jumped out as fast as I could open the zipper. 6:30. Good time to get up. The sun was just coming up and I started making moves around camp to get everyone moving. We had another big day ahead of us. Oatmeal and coffee for breakfast, packing up and drving North for the fourth day in a row.

IMG_7526.JPG

We needed to head East-Northeast this morning and I spent my usual half-hour looking for a route. We could take the main logging road, but that was the long way around... We wanted the road less traveled!

IMG_7517-1.JPG

On the road at 8:30 we drove a little North but mostly East on the main road for about an hour before our first turn. I stopped at every intersection to double-check our location. The GPS was not much help here - we had lost the road a while ago. Roads couldn’t be counted because there were new and old tracks everywhere. We had to navigate using the atlas, compass, and land features - rivers, streams, mountains, ponds, etc.

307088_939838968121_11014177_43716342_2029593840_n.jpg

The main road continued North, but the un-traveled track East would bring us closer to our destination, so East it was. There were few tire tracks on the road and it was apparent it hadn’t been used regularly for some time. The roadbed was firm but washed out, making for a very bumpy ride - we kept the speed down here. I really felt “out there” on this road, we hadn’t seen anyone for a long time and were so far North. Navigating by land features we found our way East to the next intersection an hour later.

epicxcrider

Observer
Picking up the pace on the smoother road, we wound our way through small mountains heading South then East until the intersection with a major logging highway. The road was about 4 lanes wide and we cruised at 60 for a few miles looking for our next right hand turn. Passing several overgrown trails, we finally found a drivable one heading East and we were back in the woods...

296116_939839477101_11014177_43716345_986161854_n.jpg

Tall grass covered the road except for two worn valleys the width of tires. The road was good, but washed out in places. It pointed straight to the supposed coordinates of the trains - we were on the right track - until a bend to the left pointed us Northeast. About a mile and a half further there was a narrow trail heading South - this must be it!!! Not far down the trail there were three boulders that had clearly once blocked the way, but someone with the means had moved them enough to let a vehicle slip through.
We fit :)
It was slow going now... scattered small saplings were growing in the road, scraping the floorboards as we drove over. The trail narrowed until branches were hitting the mirrors... SNAP! Both mirrors folded in as the trail got even narrower, branches hitting the windshield now and small trees scraping the underside of the FJ. Nature had started to reclaim this road. Eventually the trail became so narrow we just could not drive any further. Making a parking space on the side of the trail we got ready to continue on foot...

IMG_7531.JPG

IMG_7532.JPG

IMG_7533.JPG

The trail had a firm roadbed and continued on into the woods for a while - it was a good starting point. I grabbed the GPS and we headed deeper into the brush.

epicxcrider

Observer
IMAG0488.jpg

Only a few hundred yards down the trail tied to a small pine tree I spotted a number ribbons of different color, made from surveyor’s tape. This had to be a clue. Right at the tape a game trail went left into the woods... so did we. The ground was mushy and the trail was not well worn. The whole area appeared to be a peat bog, so we watched our steps.

IMG_7535.JPG

IMAG0489.jpg

Carefully we picked our way along through the pine trees and over the peat and watched Chrip bound ahead chasing squirrels.
“AARRGGHHH” Nick B was down - mud everywhere! HA! He didn’t care, we were in the Allagash wilderness- It was awesome!

315307_939839631791_11014177_43716346_1632361914_n.jpg

IMAG0491.jpg

The GPS had shown the trains being 2 miles away from where we left the trucks- in a straight line - it had been more than that by now.
Passing through an area with many trees down (microburst?) I spotted a big steel stake in the ground with the remains of some long gone guyline. We were close :)

316670_939839831391_11014177_43716349_577338756_n.jpg

Not 50 yards later I almost tripped over railroad tracks!

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Awesome thanks for sharing this trip! This is great stuff! MORE keep me entertained on this sunday so I can avoid studying haha

spencyg

This Space For Rent
Good Stuff. Glad to see others have traveled on some of the DRAM route as well. Looking forward to reading more. Great Writeup.

epicxcrider

Observer
IMG_7543.JPG

The GPS showed us about a quarter mile North of the trains so we walked along the tracks heading South. Most of the ties had disappeared long ago and the rails were now held in place mostly by new vegetation. We walked slowly along the rail bed taking photos and admiring a track switch that still operated despite being un-used for 70 years. There were a couple of spurs heading Northeast and Northwest but the GPS showed the trains still .1 miles Southeast. We climbed up out of the rail bed as it became flooded, and started shwacking through the woods alongside the rails.

IMG_7540.JPG

IMG_7539.JPG

There was no more trail here. I had been following the GPS along the tracks, but now we had gone too far. We needed to go East of the tracks through the woods. We shwacked some more for another .1 miles until we were at the right coordinates. Nothing. Just more trees and scrub in every direction. Crap.

IMG_7538.JPG

Back where we had first encountered the rail bed there was a trail heading both ways on the tracks. I decided we should ignore the GPS and head the other way on the tracks, towards the lake. Crashing our way through the woods we found the rail bed again and followed that past the first intersection. Things started to look up!

IMG_7544.JPG

IMG_7545.JPG

There were more and more signs of the old railway. Everyone was excited as we hurried North looking for signs of the trains in the woods! Shortly we came across two rows of old rotting flatbed cars and I knew we were close. Moss grew all over the trucks and structural steel pieces of the cars. The wood had long since rotted away save a few cars where the wood sagged down in the middle. Without the wood for support, the steel tie-bars sagged under their own weight in between the trucks and at each end. Nature had started to reclaim the cars.

IMAG0501.jpg

IMG_7548.JPG

IMAG0498.jpg

IMG_7549.JPG

One thing really struck me, however. The air line valves still rotated, axle grease covers opened. Anything that had once been a moving part still moved! I bet the trucks would still roll if you could push them. 70 years untouched, and these parts had not even started to rust away. This was good old American Iron!

IMG_7547.JPG

epicxcrider

Observer
IMAG0533.jpg

Not far beyond where the flatbed cars sat in rows I spotted a clearing and hurried to get a better look - we had found them!

IMG_7562.JPG

IMG_7558-1.JPG

IMAG0504.jpg

Across the tracks from where the locomotives sat was an inlet on Eagle Lake - part of the Alligash Wilderness Area. As I walked out to the shoreline it became immediately clear how far away from everything we were. There were no houses on this lake, no powerboats. The only way to this spot was by foot or by paddle.

IMG_7552.JPG

IMAG0516.jpg

The shoreline could have easily been mistaken for the ocean. Something about it - the smell, the arrangement of the rocks... Maybe the absolute desolation.

IMAG0521.jpg

IMG_7557.JPG

We all branched out and explored the shore line - Erek, Josh and I went for a swim. The water was fairly cold but extremely refreshing. It was the first chance to clean off since we left Thursday afternoon and the chance was appreciated. There were signs of the rich logging history all over - Large steel cables, rail car trucks, gears and shafts were strewn all over the place. Somehow it wasn’t trash, it was fascinating.

IMG_7571.JPG

IMAG0520.jpg

IMG_7555.JPG

Sufficiently relaxed after a few hours in the sun it was time to move on - there was still distance to cover and it was quickly turning into afternoon. We picked our way the few miles back through the woods to the trucks and began the slow drive out to the Telos road. Nick and I looked for possible campgrounds and a place to make lunch as we flew South, making good speed on the well traveled road. Nick found a campsite just south of Umbazooksus lake we would stop for lunch and evaluate staying there for the night.

brianwj

Observer
Thanks for this write up. I'm now planing a trip with my kids next spring to do some camping and see the trains.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

epicxcrider

Observer
IMAG0534.jpg

We never made it to the campsite - there was a turn for Umbazooksus lake and I took that. It brought us along an earthen dam at the south end of the lake where there was enough room to park both vehicles. A perfect place for lunch! Josh’s crew ate manifold sausages and I cooked Mac & Cheese on my small camp stove for Nick B, Jason, and I.

307488_939841967111_11014177_43716408_1351502047_n.jpg

307271_939842540961_11014177_43716420_296513655_n.jpg

296549_939842990061_11014177_43716431_1552822473_n.jpg

310706_939842780481_11014177_43716425_1707723623_n.jpg

314926_939843284471_11014177_43716437_860506950_n.jpg

IMAG0542.jpg

After lunch everyone decided it was too soon to make camp. We would make for Ripogenous Gorge, leaving the North Maine Woods at the Telos checkpoint. I refueled from the Jerry cans and we set off towards the gate, electing again to take the road less traveled :) I turned South on Duck Pond Rd where it was immediately clear nobody had traveled through in a long time.

IMAG0544.jpg

The road was rough but solid, made of large chunks of stone - we had to take it slow here. Slow was fine as there were potholes and after a quarter mile vegetation started encroaching on the road. Swamp alders growing up into the road told me the ground was pretty soft on each side so we were careful not to stray from the main tracks. The closer we got to Cuxabexis lake more water began to appear in the road, splashing through potholes at first, then coming to a flooded section several hundred feet long. The lake had flooded over the road - probably the work of beavers - and was about 2’ deep. Nothing too challenging as long as the road bed stayed firm under the water.

Putting the FJ in 4-low I crept into the water, Josh waiting behind until I was through safely. Aside from a few submerged logs it was an easy crossing and Josh followed without incident. The road was still rough but dry at least so we kept moving through the alders until we came to another flooded section...

IMAG0536-1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior