The Lost XR

lostxr

Observer
Heated hand grips

Man o man these things rock. These are very nice grips and they have different throttle rings so they fit tons of bikes. The also have a cut line on them so you can cut the end if you are using hand protectors. The install was not back but just be sure you are using the correct throttle ring . I used the wrong one at first and the throttle was a little sticky. Swapped out to the correct one and everything worked great. The only thing I really changed on the install was adding a relay to the ign on... so that I would never be able to leave the heated grips on when my key was not turned on. It was 40 degrees this morning in Prescott and the grips made a huge difference. Stay warm my friends. Here is a link to the site for the grips. http://www.amegrips.com/motorcycleoffroadheated/heated-road-motorcycle-grips Thanks to Mario and Anne for finding these grips. I was not aware that you could add grips like this to bars with hand protectors.
grip1.jpg grip2.jpg grip3.jpg grip4.jpg grip5.jpg grip6.jpg grip7.jpg grip8.jpg

Giovanni Ground

View attachment 173182View attachment 173183View attachment 173184View attachment 173185

I have always loved the XR's. Yes the bars are too low and the pegs are to high but they are a blast to ride and seem to last forever. Again, I know there are many newer and more up to date bikes out there and I am not taking away from them at all.
One of the first things we changed on this bike was the bars. We used the CR version of the Renthal fatbar. I have used these in the past on my 600 R and they will really take a beating. The CR version bar it a lot taller than the stock bar and makes for a more natural riding position while standing. I do a lot of standing while off road. Prescott offers some great trails for the big XR.

Yes you can make desired addition in the bike too make it more comfortable and fast.I also have the XR and i really love it.I also change my CR version bar according to my height and now i can with more comfort and ease.
It rocks on the road!

lostxr

Observer
New Head light

I have already converted all lights on The LOST XR to LED's and now it time to play with a different headlight. I placed an order from Baja Designs for the SII LED race light. Now I already know this is a race light but I am running it as a street light right now and will see how this works out. I set the aim after the install to the same height level as the stock lamp but if I start getting flashed all the time I will lower it a bit. The lamps in the unit are very small but man o man do that put out some serious light. The pattern looks very good. This would be a very easy install on a dirt bike set up for race mode but with all the stuff crammed in behind the factory head light it was just a bit more work. Start but removing the stock head light along with the head light ring.
lamp1.jpglamp2.jpglamp3.jpg
Next I cut down the bracket that holds the factory light because it was way too wide for the sides of the Baja Designs light. Then I reinstalled the bracket that I cut down. You need this bracket because it hold the speedo unit in place. I could have used some large washers in place of the bracket but I like that the bracket has the hanger for all the wire bundle.
lamp4.jpglamp5.jpg
I like the look of the new lamp and housing and it is a very nice fit. The lamp is held on with rubber straps that have 3 locking rings...very solid. I also reinstalled the 12 volt outlet. This is a marine grade outlet and I do not worry about water using this outlet. The small size of the lamps might make you think they could not be that bright ... WAY WRONG... they are very bright. Super white and have a nice long range pattern with good side view. I have one more headlight housing and I want to dial it in before I cut any holes in it. More to come.
lamp6.jpglamp7.jpg

watrboy

Observer
2009 XR

I have a BRP of the same year and did a lot of the same mods. It is a great bike for running the back roads and some light single track. I did the northern section of the WABDR and had a blast with mine. Mine had 1050 miles on it when I found in Oct 2011. 4200 miles now with only 500 of those on the pavement. Mods to mine:

14/48 sprocket
4.7 gallon Clarke
TCI Skidplate
TCI rear rack
Manrack case protector
MSR large footpegs
Tusk Aux. Outlet
2" Rox Risers
XR's Only Shark Fin
XR's Only Chain guide
Baja Designs kit to De Smog
Dave's mod on jetting - same as yours basically
Airbox modification
Uni Air filter
Fork Brace
Twisted Throttle rear frame brace

Had a SuperTrapp exhaust and put stock back on
I did the XR's only lowering bone and ended up going back to stock
Had a TCI Windshield and destroyed it on a ride, so removed it. Had a tendency to hit it during single track riding

RHINO

Expedition Leader
pretty nice build ya got goin. i prefer grip heaters to heated grips so i can run my favorite grips.

waterboy, 4200 miles with only 500 on tarmac, thats nice. i get around most of AZ w/o much hiway as well. takes more time but isnt that why we ride?

watrboy

Observer
pretty nice build ya got goin. i prefer grip heaters to heated grips so i can run my favorite grips.

waterboy, 4200 miles with only 500 on tarmac, thats nice. i get around most of AZ w/o much hiway as well. takes more time but isnt that why we ride?

I use heated gloves so they will work on both of my bikes. AZ is a lot like MT. I can hit the gravel 3 miles from home and get to Canada without seeing pavement other than crossing it. I am coming to visit AZ in January, have a brother in Phoenix. My son and I are flying into El Paso and renting Harleys for 4 days. We are planning on 1200 to 1500 miles. Good break since winter has started here already.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
that should be a nice trip, great weather down here. ok, dont want to hijack the thread.

lostxr

Observer
The slick look

I have never really been a fan of the tail light on the L version because it still has that same old 1973 tail light look that was on so many of the older Hondas. Yes I know the R version has had the same look for that many years as well but I just like the slick look on the R tail light. The XR600 R tail light cover will fit right inside of the indentation where the factory 650 L tail light fits. I converted the tail light to a LED and installed a smaller dragon light for the plate light which is also an LED. With the new LED's...everything is still bright and legal but with a slick look. I also cut down the plate holder and set it up so it fit the fender and bolted it down.
fender1.jpg fender2.jpg

watrboy

Observer
I have never really been a fan of the tail light on the L version because it still has that same old 1973 tail light look that was on so many of the older Hondas. Yes I know the R version has had the same look for that many years as well but I just like the slick look on the R tail light. The XR600 R tail light cover will fit right inside of the indentation where the factory 650 L tail light fits. I converted the tail light to a LED and installed a smaller dragon light for the plate light which is also an LED. With the new LED's...everything is still bright and legal but with a slick look. I also cut down the plate holder and set it up so it fit the fender and bolted it down.
View attachment 194890 View attachment 194891

That looks very nice. I keep waiting to mangle mine to the point of replacement. Then I figure I will take the time and replace with a streamlined unit, such as yours. Banged it up many times and it just keeps working. Something about those Honda's.

watrboy

Observer
AZ in May

Are any XRL owners bring their bikes to the Expo in May outside of Flagstaff?

I was thinking of bringing mine down. I would trailer down, just because I can't take that much time off. Maybe spend a day in Moab.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior