The "Az Crew" Thread

SirFrancisDrake

2002 Montero Ltd
Got the Montero back from the mechanic today.

New plugs + wires, valve guide seals, lifters, all top end gaskets, motor mount, cracked manifold replaced, engine degreased. It's beautiful

No more sewing machine, it sounds like a proper V6

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
LT, that hydraulic back up set looks cool, must be a pricey unit.
SirFrancis, good for you. There's nothing like a renewed rig.
Yesterday, HoseB repainted the plastic on my 95, once again gloss black. He and Jorge have been wood workers since they were old enough to have their Dad make them help him in the shop, so he gets kind of detailed about sanding and things. I kept trying to remind him it's just gonna get scratched and sits outside all the time, but anyway, it's mostly done and will be fine again for the next two years. I really need to get into the front end on this truck again next. Visibly, the driver's side front upper control bushing is gone and I can feel a lot of movement in there, so something steering-wise isn't right...again. Luckily, a lot of that stuff is warranty parts, but the parts aren't that good, which makes frequent replacement a muscle memory exercise. I've got Jorge looking for a junk yard stock Gen 2 idler arm I can snag from him so I can get an Adventure Driven Design kingpin and bushings set-up.
Still waiting for somebody to do a write-up on the ADD upper control arm bushings so I don't have to go first!

John B.

snare

Adventurer
If no one else has a write up on the control arm bushings by the time i get mine and get them installed, i will do one. I am going to be doing the LCA bushings too. All Siberian poly.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
I've done the lower control arm bushings. The front ones in the arm are relatively easy. The rear ones in the frame are nothing short of a nightmare, at least it was for me, plus, after I managed to get the old ones out (at something like 165K miles on them), they were still good, but it was too late to turn back then. I'll avoid ever doing that job again.
I've done the Gen 1 upper shaft replacement, but that's different from the Gen 2, entirely. The Gen 1 doesn't even have real bushings, they're metal and they screw in. Too bad they decided to make the upper ball joints press-in.

John B.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
I've done the lower control arm bushings. The rear ones in the frame are nothing short of a nightmare, at least it was for me, plus, after I managed to get the old ones out (at something like 165K miles on them), they were still good, but it was too late to turn back then.

John B.

Mine were intact but deformed, the lowers are really easy with the polyurethane replacements.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
the lowers are really easy with the polyurethane replacements.
But having the poly replacements doesn't make the old ones come out any easier.
ANYWAY:
The AZ Crew has an opportunity to do some camping this weekend, if you can stand some cold weather. Just north of Oak Creek Canyon, west of 89A, up on top of the Mogollon Rim. If I haven't already contacted you and you need a map sent to you in Google maps format, I can text it to you, just PM me. It's going to be windy and pretty chilly at night, but I'm only going Saturday noon-ish until Sunday afternoon. Oso/Mongo is heading this one up and has headed over from the Bay Area, so it's the least we AZ folks can do to say hi, right? Even if you can only make it over for a couple of hours, let me know.
John B.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
ANYWAY:
The AZ Crew has an opportunity to do some camping this weekend, if you can stand some cold weather. Just north of Oak Creek Canyon, west of 89A, up on top of the Mogollon Rim. If I haven't already contacted you and you need a map sent to you in Google maps format, I can text it to you, just PM me. It's going to be windy and pretty chilly at night, but I'm only going Saturday noon-ish until Sunday afternoon. Oso/Mongo is heading this one up and has headed over from the Bay Area, so it's the least we AZ folks can do to say hi, right? Even if you can only make it over for a couple of hours, let me know.
John B.

Had them out in munites.

PA_JERO

Adventurer
Sounds like sunday is suppose to have some 4 wheeling involved for any others who just so happen to see this and want to join in.

Johnny, adams new Siberian bushings actually to not require the outer shell to be removed on the lower control arms. Just the rubber which is cake to get out, super easy. I did it the hard way when I used the super pro poly.

monte3

Endeavor
ANYWAY:
John B.
JB, (or Uncle Johnny...) I looked at the weather and Saturday calls for mid 60's and Sunday mid 50's daytime, and high to low 20's at night.
BTW the area is actually the Coconino National forest, and 2 FS roads in the area are the 535 and the 237
If I get a chance this weekend I'll try to track you down.
Have fun & stay warm!

Bottomfeeder

Observer
Well, I need your help. My 95 SR is blowing through crank position sensors. I am now on the 5th sensor. All 3 wires have been tested and checked out with the right voltage. I have replaced the sensor ring (MD185237) and spacer (MD309036). I am on my 3rd mitsu crank sensor (MD303643) The 1st 2 were purchased at O'Reilly's and failed within minutes. As you all know, this process is like replacing the timing belt over and over and over and over again... Any advice and help is very much appreciated.

I am planing a trip to Colorado in June. I will also be heading to AZ at that time if I can get this sorted out.

Thanks

lordtrunks

camp loser
Trip this weekend was great nice too see some new faces on the trail and hope to see you guys out on the trail again. We aired up at the 76 in sedona really nice guys over there then took the 89a to flagstaff and made the loop back home on Lake mary rd.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz