The 5th (ish) Gen Ram HD love/hate thread

jadmt

ignore button user
my buddy that works on them for a living says the dial is less problematic on warranty returns. I suppose less linkage to deal with. I know I never have to look at mine and I have the mind of a rusty trap lol. I have to ask my wife how to start the dishwasher every time.....

ramatl73

Observer
I've been having issues with my 1500 Bighorn with Off Road Package. My front passenger strut went out at less than 8k. RAM dealer said they'd replace it under warranty, but only the passenger side. No bueno! I don't replace just one strut at time, always in pairs. Here is the hook, all factory OEM struts are on factory back order. No ETA on parts either. I talked to a local off-road shop and truck accessory shop, they said that one of the south GA dealers they work with has 15 NEW trucks on the lot with bad shocks/struts or both. Both 1500s and 2500s.

I ended up replacing both the front struts with some after-market trail performance struts.

This was a real bummer as I'd just put on brand new 35x11.50x20 Toyo OC AT3s. Rides fine now, better that factory.

ripperj

Explorer
There are definitely wireless CarPlay units.

They are kind of big though. But as long as it’s in the console you’ll never see it. It works off Wi-Fi though and not Bluetooth. So it takes a min after cranking to get going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought this, it took a little over a week to get, pretty good for the Xmas package season.

It works really well and was easy to set up. I have only had it a couple days, and have not played too much, but if I’m in and out of the truck a lot(running errands) then there is a delay and once in a while pandora wont start streaming unless I hit play on the phone.

Edit- this may be because it stays connected if I’m close??? No idea what the range is, haven’t played with it enough. I would think the wifi network would drop as soon as hit the truck locks?? It uses Bluetooth and wifi, Bluetooth maybe only in the initial setup??

All in all definitely worth the $100 to keep my phone in my pocket :)

Big thx for the tip

The usb cord is kind of short and would not reach the little storage compartment by the usb panel on my Tradesman, so I stuck it to the driver side footwell side of the console with that scotch clear Velcro like(plastic) stuff . Pretty much invisible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

ripperj

Explorer
3e365e1054e193ced6b339ea4f61f28a.jpg

868e2bf76397f1087379df862348c767.jpg

The new and old solutions

I originally fished a black USB C to Lightning cable through a hole I drilled in the driver side dash rubber lined pocket. I drilled a hole big enough for the IPhone end. I then used a leather punch to make a hole that fits snugly around the cable in the rubber piece. I slit the rubber between the hole and the edge.

It works well and looks pretty good. I used a 6’ cable and you can push or pull what you want out, but my phone is a Mini and in a black case. It disappears into the dash and I’m alway thinking about so many other things that I walk away without it. For the last decade I kept my phone in my pocket and relied on Bluetooth, but did not have CarPlay. Just defective mental programming :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles