Tex's 2019 GX460 build

whododat

That cut on the running boards looks professional. I cannot wait to see the finished product with the sliders installed. Going to order a Kaon door soon.
Fantastic build!

Tex68w

Beach Bum
That cut on the running boards looks professional. I cannot wait to see the finished product with the sliders installed. Going to order a Kaon door soon.
Fantastic build!

Thanks! I'll end up taking another inch or two off of the ends once the sliders go on, but I am happy with the initial cut. My Kaon door is currently in transit, I'm expecting it sometime next week. I plan to use a nut/bolt/washer combo to secure it to the rear door instead of the self tapping screws it comes with, that should make for a more durable mount.

Last edited:

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I fabbed these up earlier this evening. Not the prettiest brackets out there but they keep the lights flush and up and out of the way. Simply put, they get the job done and once mounted they are pretty robust. The jury is still out on whether or not I'll have trim them or possibly adjust the bend once the sliders go on, but I think just from eye balling it that they will be fine.

I used a piece of 1/8" by 1.5" flat aluminum stock.

Pjy8oLf.jpg

I then marked all of the necessary holes for the bolts and for the wire to run through the mounting bracket when mounted flush.

i4FZST3.jpg

I used a set of Amazon "Rigid" knock-off rock lights. The location of the wire at the back of the light tended to vary from one to the other. This required a little enlarging of the holes in order to get the wire to sit flush at times.

SSXOJbS.jpg

I reused the existing threaded holes from the factory step supports in order to mount the brackets. I pre-bent the brackets in the vice before mounting the lights and then the brackets to the truck. Once fully supported against the truck you can adjust the bend in the bracket by hand.

QGJKqMk.jpg

GDqIkRj.jpg

I still need to finish wiring them back into the factory puddle light harnesses, hopefully I can get that done this weekend along with the slider install. The aluminum was $11.99 for a 4ft stick and the puddle lights were $20 on Amazon. So for a little more than one pair of Rago Rock Light Brackets I have four LED puddle lights with brackets, I can't complain. I'll post up pics with the finished product once I get them wired in.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Wired up and operational. I will figure out how/where I want to route the wiring harness once the sliders go on.

S1NCERh.jpg

loNDAxt.jpg

8Gi9DCT.jpg

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Kaon rear door table ordered and delivered all the way from Australia to Texas in just six days. It's a simple design, but executed quite nicely. I can see this being used for food prep, eating meals, repairing small items, field surgery on small animals and children, etc. I hope to possibly use it to setup my CPAP for when I camp and sleep inside the truck, which I do often when out camping without the misses. I can't see paying six times as much for the Orangeboxx version, money well spent!

iG3S3hK.jpg

vYBM4mr.jpg

Tex68w

Beach Bum
RSG sliders are on! I am extremely happy with how these turned out, I had my doubts before they showed up but I couldn't be more impressed with this product. The welds are clean and the powder coat is excellent. I'll clean up the wiring tomorrow and then I can focus on the next mods.

B7XlaCK.jpg

XQoDrqo.jpg

UFAIwNX.jpg

6e5uLoO.jpg

QCODk1p.jpg

AqnKiGr.jpg

rTeoW5g.jpg

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Wow! Impressive work and it looks fantastic.
How did you know where to make the cut for the sliders?

I looked at some pics from others and then just sorta eye balled it. I left my initial cuts long so that I could trim up later on after the slider were mounted. I free hand a lot of cuts, when I was younger I messed around with pin striping and whatnot so I enjoy doing stuff off the cuff like that. Using a box blade with firm and steady pressure will make for a cleaner cut, it just takes more time and patience.

The sliders came with grade 10.9 hardware, good stuff. I like that even with my -10mm offset wheels the kick out still protrudes past the wheel/tire. Grinding on the KDSS line skid plate to make clearance for the slider plate and hardware kinda sucked but it isn't noticeable after you clean up the edge and hit it with some paint.

R024ZWb.jpg

Y9ZfJl1.jpg

lKlS8wq.jpg

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I couldn't handle all of the low hanging plastic any longer and with more guys cutting it off it gave me the drive and desire to get out and cut mine too. Like I did with the rocker panel trim for the sliders, I used a box blade for my initial cut. I then cleaned up the edge with a Dremel sanding bit and then finished it up with a sanding block.

There are lots of clips that have to come off in order to remove that lower valence and then the multiple bracket supports and finally the rivets holing the brackets to the actual crash bar. In the end I think it came out pretty good for free-hand and it makes the truck look a little taller now that it isn't dragging it's chin around everywhere lol. I'll likely trim up the rear to match in the coming days. This will keep me happy until I can get a proper bumper.

lS7r6su.jpg

wuWbYqp.jpg

LkguZ0A.jpg

ykhXyIU.jpg

gg34EGY.jpg

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Looks really good!

Thanks! I was surprised by how much I liked the final outcome as well. I have to admit that I was kind of nervous upon the initial cut haha. Sadly, this simply brings the front chin to a similar height as the 2010-13 front end.

tennesseewj

Observer
I'm surprised how much nicer this makes the whole front end look.

I noticed your comments about the SCS center caps above... what's your opinion of the wheels otherwise? SCS is priced at the top of the aftermarket wheel spectrum, do you feel they were worth the premium?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I'm surprised how much nicer this makes the whole front end look.

I noticed your comments about the SCS center caps above... what's your opinion of the wheels otherwise? SCS is priced at the top of the aftermarket wheel spectrum, do you feel they were worth the premium?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Thanks, it certainly alters the look of the vehicle in a positive way.

In regards to Stealth Custom Series wheels, I think they make a nice wheel, it's certainly better than a Fuel or Method and anything below those in terms of fit and finish. I think Raceline is in the same class and there are of course other wheel manufacturers that are even better but not many that I would put on this type of vehicle. They do a bang up job on their packaging and that very well may be where the extra expense/cost comes into play, but beyond delivery that really doesn't factor in to the value of the purchase. I think they are slightly over priced to the tune of $20-30 per wheel but I wouldn't call them grossly over priced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles