Testing Pull-Pal Alternative: Smittybilt W.A.S.P. (Winch Anchor Support Platform)

corbin8or

Adventurer
When we were out there testing this stuff I was amazed at how well the MaxTrax worked and the pullpal, I was impressed with the compactness of the W.A.S.P. but when it was being "used" it acted more like a land surfing device. It looked like it would be great with the nice handle and agressive dragon killing look... but after many attempts it would start digging in but then it would lift back out and just plow a big rut... I would have to recomend the pullpal too. If anyone has had good results with the W.A.S.P. please share some photos with me, I want to find a good solution for me and more people who wheel from wheelchairs.

chuck45

Observer
"Is there a reason why SE doesn't carry Pull Pal?

We have heard that they are bit hard to deal with in regards to ordering... It is in the works however.

I bought my PullPal directly from them and they were great to work with. They are a small family operation in Carbondale Colorado that do the PullPal and Premier Power Welder. I'd give them a try. I know the PullPal works. For somebody that goes out solo it is a must.

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
"Is there a reason why SE doesn't carry Pull Pal?

I bought my PullPal directly from them and they were great to work with. They are a small family operation in Carbondale Colorado that do the PullPal and Premier Power Welder. I'd give them a try. I know the PullPal works. For somebody that goes out solo it is a must.

Yeah on the customer side I hear they are great to deal with, however on the dealer side I hear a different story. So in the mean time I just send my customers right to them. Maybe its time to start changing that.:)

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Love having fun 😊 in the 🌞 by the ⛵ and the ⏳
Thanks Wil, Corbin and Lance for a frank and concise test. As I travel solo quite a bit and especially to remote areas, I too am looking for a device/gadget to get me out of trouble. Too bad the Pull Pal is so expensive and heavy. I like to have devices that serve more than one purpose especially if they take up so much room and weight.

Hence I have been using my spare tire and dig it in, Works great, takes a bit longer but serves more than one purpose. Still looking for that gadget, though.

chuck45

Observer
Hence I have been using my spare tire and dig it in, Works great, takes a bit longer but serves more than one purpose. Still looking for that gadget, though.

I hate digging! I guess I'd rather spend the money and carry the weight than to dig. When I do dig around the house I make liberal use of a pick axe. Do you do it with just a shovel?

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Thanks Wil, Corbin and Lance for a frank and concise test. As I travel solo quite a bit and especially to remote areas, I too am looking for a device/gadget to get me out of trouble. Too bad the Pull Pal is so expensive and heavy. I like to have devices that serve more than one purpose especially if they take up so much room and weight.

Hey Jan,
I am not sure if you have ever tried to dig any kind of hole in the desert southwest but we have ground like concrete in many areas.

I agree the Pull Pal is heavy & pricey but nothing I have found serves the purpose as well and as easily.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Even in sand you'd have to dig mighty deep to stop the tyre just lifting straight back out.......

there's a thread here involving a landrover - sand - burying tires and the
short scenic flight in a helicopter......and then the mounted expedition to go and recover the vehicle.

I will leave it too the person involved to explain that its not as easy as it sounds...

michaelgroves

Explorer
Even in sand you'd have to dig mighty deep to stop the tyre just lifting straight back out.......
Yes, absolutely. A ground anchor should ideally be designed to dig itself in deeper as you pull on it, whereas a spare wheel just wants to come up out of the ground. You can reduce that tendency by burying it at the right angle, and attaching the cable to the centre, but it's a heck of a job to bury it deeply enough.

there's a thread here involving a landrover - sand - burying tires and the
short scenic flight in a helicopter......and then the mounted expedition to go and recover the vehicle.

I will leave it too the person involved to explain that its not as easy as it sounds...

Linky?

CanuckMariner/Nomad

I hate digging! I guess I'd rather spend the money and carry the weight than to dig. When I do dig around the house I make liberal use of a pick axe. Do you do it with just a shovel?

Just a shovel! And yes it does take a bit of work, but it does work if you do it right. Hover, in the desert where it is a hard pan, I rarely get stuck as I scout my trails when I am solo.

Last edited:

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Hey Jan,
I am not sure if you have ever tried to dig any kind of hole in the desert southwest but we have ground like concrete in many areas.

I agree the Pull Pal is heavy & pricey but nothing I have found serves the purpose as well and as easily.

Thanks Lance, I too am looking for a used ARB or Pull Pal. Withe current exchange rate 1.30 Kanuk buks to 1 Yank, it is quite expensive at over $650 Kanuk buks!

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
I'm curious about removing thanchor after the vehicle has been extracted.
How difficult is it?
How deep has this thing dug itself into the ground?

Cypher

Full Time Traveler
Wow! How did I miss this thread? I wish I could have tagged along for the testing but I just had to do what I had to do...

With that said, great work on the review! Very simply stated, verified, and some good pics to go along with it. It is always nice to see individuals looking out for the community and sharing their experiences. Thanks!

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I'm curious about removing thanchor after the vehicle has been extracted.
How difficult is it?
How deep has this thing dug itself into the ground?

I trick that I use it to wrap my tree saver around the land anchor so I can pull it back out the way it dug in. Kind of like when you remove a fishing hook.

They usually only dig in 12-24" max and I have never had more than a mild struggle to get it out of the ground.

Great tool and when you need it there usually aren't too many other solutions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94