Tacoma Transmission Cooler

Ed Bravo

Adventurer
I posted this on a Tacoma forum and got lots of views but no comments. Thought I'd try it here.

I have a 2006 Tacoma, 4x4, Short Bed, Double Cab, V6. I'd like to add an auxillary transmission cooler because of the use I put the Tacoma through. Has anyone done this? Which cooler? with fan? How and where is it mounted?

Ed

keezer37

Explorer
I did a few years back. I first put in an ISSPRO trans temp gauge while everybody was waiting for Scangauge to add this function. Don't know if Scangauge ever did. At the time, I didn't think they could based on how the ECM processed temp sensor data.

I have a Hayden unit mounted under the horns. P/N 526
Hayden's Electric Fan Controller P/N 3651
Hayden's Oil Thermostat (Cold Whether App.) P/N 163

All bought through NAPA.

A couple notable items are: Good luck finding bulk 10mm hose. I ended up using 3/8 (9.5mm). Half a mm doesn't sound like much til you have to push it on a 10mm nipple. If you use an in line temp sensor for the gauge or cooler, you don't have to concern yourself with getting it close to the pan. I ran a test and the temp difference between coolant in the pan and coolant in the rubber hose portion of the transmission line (under crank pulley) was two degrees.

This may be overkill for what you want but if you're still interested, I have a folder full of pictures.

slooowr6

Explorer
Ed,
Look no further, follow what keezer37 did. He has the best installation I've read on 3 forums.

keezer,
Nope, Scangauge never got the code.

Ed Bravo

Adventurer
Thanks guys

Ok, done deal. I will follow the advice and procedures in Keezer's post. And, Keezer, yes, I would like photos. My email is jnmarnellatyahoo.com

Next question, and I've beem pondering this for some time. With a good supplemental cooler with fan, is there really any reason to install a transmission temperature gauge? Quite obviously the oil temperature will decrease to a decent degree (pun intended).

ED

D

Deleted member 9101

I got a rather large tranny cooler for my Tundra off a mid 90"s f-150 at a junk yard for 12.50... even has really useful mounting tabs.

D

Deleted member 9101

Ok, done deal. I will follow the advice and procedures in Keezer's post. And, Keezer, yes, I would like photos. My email is jnmarnellatyahoo.com

Next question, and I've beem pondering this for some time. With a good supplemental cooler with fan, is there really any reason to install a transmission temperature gauge? Quite obviously the oil temperature will decrease to a decent degree (pun intended).

ED

For me, I have no really need for the gauge.. but for you guys that off road I would imagine its very handy. Unlike a stick shift, you will always have some loss of power that translates to heat... off roading only adds to this.

keezer37

Explorer

ED

ED, If you buy a cooler with a fan and the electric controller, you'll need to know where to set the adjustable pot on the controller. Sans gauge, I'd go with a probe type controller with a preset temp (Hayden P/N 3652) http://www.haydenauto.com/upload/HaydenAuto/Documents/Cat_Hayden/2007-hayden-electric-fans.pdf. Bear in mind, what I've done goes beyond necessity and into hobby.
I'll get some picture to you later today.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
I posted this on a Tacoma forum and got lots of views but no comments. Thought I'd try it here.

I have a 2006 Tacoma, 4x4, Short Bed, Double Cab, V6. I'd like to add an auxillary transmission cooler because of the use I put the Tacoma through. Has anyone done this? Which cooler? with fan? How and where is it mounted?

Ed

Does your truck have the OEM towing package? If so, it came with a cooler plumbed from the factory.

Ed Bravo

Adventurer
Trans cooler

Yes, Tacodoc, it has the factory towing package.

I am considering adding a supplemental cooler, much like the one Keezer has installed. I have not yet popped the hood since receiving his post and the photos sent in a private email, so the factory cooler may be located where he positioned his.

We drive probably more than most in very hot climates, occassionally towing. Recently on a Mojave Road trip I detected the smell of hot trans fluid. I had not lowered air pressure sufficiently, and the trans was working way too hard in soft sand. It was my fault, corrected by reducing air to 14 pounds, but that event caused me to consider this addition.

Ed

keezer37

Explorer
What I have replaced my stock cooler. When I lived in San Diego, the highest I ever got my fluid temp with my current setup was just a bit north of 190. That was loaded down on the end of the climb to Sequoia NP (about 10k ft above sea level) in late August. It was 103 out. Pulling and 8.5k skid steer (it was the lightest one they had) on roads of no particular grade, the cooler kept it about 185. My fan kicks on at 180.
Use that info for what it's worth to you.

I first installed the gauge but didn't have it in there long enough with the OE cooler to get any good data on its performance. Being the over anxious garage rat that I am, I went right in to replacing it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12