Tacoma re-design: Predictions?

Kaisen

Explorer
Agree with you. I don't see the Tacoma getting smaller, as its' HiLux counter-part is darn near the same size and shares components, since the foreign market's "Utes" are getting bigger, highly unlikely that the Tacoma will shrink. If anything we might see a Uni-Bodied small truck under the Scion badge.

The cost of the Tacoma as gotten out of line, you're right, might as well buy a 1/2 ton truck when buying new.

The HiLux is an anomaly to the US market because Toyota doesn't have a full size truck in many of the markets the HiLux services. The US-built Tundra is largely a North-American-only truck, although the find their way to some other continents.

So the HiLux needs to serve whatever pickup/ute duty those markets require. Where here we have the Tacoma (supposed to be small) and Tundra (obviously large).

I really think the US is ready for a small truck. Whether it be unibody, FWD-based, or whatever.

What is the sweet spot in separation from a small truck to a half ton?
5 mpg?
$5,000?
5 feet in length?

Clutch

<---Pass
The HiLux is an anomaly to the US market because Toyota doesn't have a full size truck in many of the markets the HiLux services. The US-built Tundra is largely a North-American-only truck, although the find their way to some other continents.

So the HiLux needs to serve whatever pickup/ute duty those markets require. Where here we have the Tacoma (supposed to be small) and Tundra (obviously large).

I really think the US is ready for a small truck. Whether it be unibody, FWD-based, or whatever.

What is the sweet spot in separation from a small truck to a half ton?
5 mpg?
$5,000?
5 feet in length?

Would like to see high 20's mpg range, perhaps crack the 30 mpg mark (2WD Base Model)

$8-10K cheaper than a 1/2 ton to make it financially appealing (probably won't happen) your $5K mark is more likely.

Toyota did long beds before, and achieved decent mileage with old tech (could squeak 22-24mpg out of a 22RE pickup I had), would think their current bed lengths are ok, perhaps add a regular cab 7ft bed like the used to.

DSC_0496.jpg

Kaisen

Explorer
I think 30 mpg has to be a stated project goal in the Tacoma engineering team. There's no reason why it isn't possible. What's the point of a little truck if it isn't economical? Since a Ram with a 305hp V6 can earn an EPA official 25 mpg rating, a smaller truck with a four cylinder should do 30.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Just a plug for hybrid-electric systems: they're capable of providing some serious torque with just a fraction of the emissions of even a clean diesel. The electric drive in the 2nd-gen Prius has an output of about 300 ft-lbs at any speed (including from a stop). I noticed when driving the Pri on rocky mountain roads that although it doesn't have much ground clearance, the torque from the electric drive effortlessly rolls the tires right over the rocks. A hybrid-electric power train would be a great match for a truck (as Hino and others have proven). How about those regenerative brakes that don't fade or overheat and capture some of that kinetic energy for getting the load moving again. The forum threads I've read say the Highlander Hybrid is a great tow rig--it sounds like it effortlessly handles trailers well over the rated towing capacity (and the 2006 does 0-60 in 6.9s (I guess the new ones gained some weight--they're down to 7.6 seconds)). Why not a hybrid Tacoma? Diesel-electric is also an option.

...and before the counter-argument of cost comes up, consider that the Prius C is Consumer Reports' top pick for lowest cost of ownership (including purchase price) of any production vehicle in the US.

/plug off

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
Just a plug for hybrid-electric systems: they're capable of providing some serious torque with just a fraction of the emissions of even a clean diesel. The electric drive in the 2nd-gen Prius has an output of about 300 ft-lbs at any speed (including from a stop). I noticed when driving the Pri on rocky mountain roads that although it doesn't have much ground clearance, the torque from the electric drive effortlessly rolls the tires right over the rocks. A hybrid-electric power train would be a great match for a truck (as Hino and others have proven). How about those regenerative brakes that don't fade or overheat and capture some of that kinetic energy for getting the load moving again. The forum threads I've read say the Highlander Hybrid is a great tow rig--it sounds like it effortlessly handles trailers well over the rated towing capacity (and the 2006 does 0-60 in 6.9s (I guess the new ones gained some weight--they're down to 7.6 seconds)). Why not a hybrid Tacoma? Diesel-electric is also an option.

...and before the counter-argument of cost comes up, consider that the Prius C is Consumer Reports' top pick for lowest cost of ownership (including purchase price) of any production vehicle in the US.

/plug off

I would expect to see a hybrid Tacoma, before we saw a diesel only version (if ever)

the electric motor torque sure would be handy with towing (as you say)

Does anyone think Toyota reads any of this? I sent them a email of my first gen @ 300000 miles on the way to Dug Bar OR a few days ago and I got NO response. They are going to "F" up the next Taco then I will buy a Jeep and be a sheep. :(

I don't like it but I feel like that's the direction it's going. It seems like pretty soon the only option for a decent 4wd that isn't a fullsize truck will be a Wrangler.

I feel this is apropos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szE0XC9xF1Y

Clutch

<---Pass
Does anyone think Toyota reads any of this? I sent them a email of my first gen @ 300000 miles on the way to Dug Bar OR a few days ago and I got NO response. They are going to "F" up the next Taco then I will buy a Jeep and be a sheep. :(

Didn't Toyota used to have a high mileage, ad campaign, where owners would write in and tell their story? One sticks out in my mind with an old guy and a 2WD yellow HiLux, stating if you're going to buy a Toyota, you better like the color...

Seems like they did away with that?

enzo

Explorer
Didn't Toyota used to have a high mileage, ad campaign, where owners would write in and tell their story? One sticks out in my mind with an old guy and a 2WD yellow HiLux, stating if you're going to buy a Toyota, you better like the color...

Seems like they did away with that?

Yep they do. I have a brochure somewhere that has a few people and there Toyotas with 295k miles and up. I think it was a high mileage club kinda thing.

Clutch

<---Pass
Yep they do. I have a brochure somewhere that has a few people and there Toyotas with 295k miles and up. I think it was a high mileage club kinda thing.

Is it through Toyota, or just a fan club? I know of the 500K-1M mile club.

25K more to go on mine and it is at 300K.

Toyota USA finally responded! They said thanks and all that good stuff but no mention of a high milage club. If someone has information on this please share.

Clutch

<---Pass
Toyota USA finally responded! They said thanks and all that good stuff but no mention of a high milage club. If someone has information on this please share.

isn't there a rumor if you get it to million miles they'll give you a brand new one? probably just an urban myth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94