Tacoma: Awning install without a shell?

Clutch

<---Pass
I dunno why it should surprise anyone, since day one bolting on a 'Nest by definition makes a truck immobile once set up. It was conceived by climbers who viewed a truck an approach tool that serves to minimize how much walking you have to do in pursuit of your primary task. Vehicle-centric users came up with trailers so as not to burden the usefulness of their primary tool. You seem to want to figure out a way to complain that water is wet. If a trailer makes more sense in your application, just buy the F150 you really need and go that way.

Have a love hate relationship with it...kinda like Toyotas.

I did buy a box of powdered water once, but didn't know what to add....

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
They are all just tools, gotta stop tilting at windmills and here in reality you select the closest available or build exactly what suits your need.

phsycle

Adventurer
Ahhh...different strokes for different folks. :)

Have been using them for years, never had a problem. I'll stake one leg in the ground..and it opens fairly easy...at least to me. Though I'll only use it for a week or longer trips. (base camping that is). 2-4 trips I don't bother...my Wildernest is the shade provider.

I really hate having anything attached to the truck...even though my Wildernest is pretty easy to setup...but it never fails...get it all setup then have to go get something or get bored at camp and want to go exploring in the truck. Actually getting a little annoyed with it...think that is why I sold the first one.

Little envious of my dirt buddy with his 6X10 Trailer...unhook it, set it up...then the truck is free.

The tent is a stand-alone unit. Simple detach of the awning, and you're ready to go.

Clutch

<---Pass
They are all just tools, gotta stop tilting at windmills and here in reality you select the closest available or build exactly what suits your need.

Ohh it works fine....more than fine actually. Just nit-picking, like making solutions for problems I don't have. ...and I know, I know.... I am a cantankerous ol' sod. :)

F150 and a Trailer would work better, but don't want to spend any money right now, trying to leave the rat race here in a couple years...that is my main goal. But like to look at setups...trying to break that habit, but doesn't seem to be working. I don't know what it is, have been looking at magazines and classifieds ever since I can remember...these forums are just an extension of that. Used to hang out in the garage and bullchit about bikes and vehicles endlessly with my neighbors and buddies...isn't that forums are? Just endless bullchit sessions. And that is what all this is...it is all bullchit...something to past the time at work until the next real adventure.

The tent is a stand-alone unit. Simple detach of the awning, and you're ready to go.

Setup looks super easy.

But pack down doesn't look all that much smaller than an EZ-UP. We also use them to work on the bikes too, both mountain and dirt, nice for shade and out of the rain. One woman I used to ride with in AZ, she would lower hers over the bed of her truck, and sleep in there. Maybe it is just a difference in various types of recreation...just about everyone of my dirt bike buds has them...when we all go camping together looks like we are having some sort of haphazard moto street fair out in the woods or desert. :p

Kinda like this...

IMG_1017.jpg

Last edited:

LoinM

I have a 2020 Tacoma, with a shell. I have an 8ft awning. can I mount it to brackets on both the shell and the roof.
I saw a guy have his mounted like that said he had done it for year, without issue. anyone else have this experience

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94