T-slot compatible boat carriers?

DaveM

Explorer
Need help on canoe rack ides, fast!

I have the Front Runner Slimline rack over my 2016 Outback. Planned a trip to Juniper lake for next week and was going to bring my canoe. Although my old clamp under bar style Thule boat supports work with Slimline bars, they can't utilize the T-slot and so can't mount out to the edge of the rack, which means I can't get my boat on the rack without having to pull down my two roof mounted storage bins. With gear for 4 of us, plus an oz tent, there's no way I can lose those roof bins or move the gear anywhere else.

Looking for any leads on other boat carries that use a T-slot mount? The Slimline T-slot is designed around an 8mm bolt head. Front Runner has a great solution, but unfortunately out if stock.

Appreciate any leads, thanks!

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Grind down a bolt to fit the slot. Though canoes are the easiest to haul given they lay flat on their rails. Just strap it down and go no fancy clips needed for canoes.

My OB only works for us family of 4 when doing short light trips. Probably my biggest negative is payload isn’t high enough and the cvt dealing with dealers to do the drain fill. I like Subaru but done owning them. No more subaru cvts for me

DaveM

Explorer
My canoe is a bit different, it's a wood double paddle canoe (kind of a canoe kayak hybrid):

56626771_f91b73672b.jpg

The curve of the boat and wood rails means I need to cradle it upright to not break or damage the wood. Plus I often (now more than ever) need to load it up with some of my gear as it takes up at least 50% of my rack real-estate.

I may have found a solution. The Thule carriers have a center hole for a smaller diameter T-slot bolt and nut, I drilled it out for 8mm and it seems to have enough plastic meat left to still solidly bolt down to the rack. Just need to confirm that this will allow me to now slide the cradle over enough to clear my roof top boxes.

I hear you on the OB. I'm only a couple months in and although I love the ride and overall design, I'm still very worried about the CVT over the long haul. If the OB just had a more bullet proof transmission I'd probably keep it for a lot longer. I suspect I'll trade up for a 4Runner in a year or two. This was always an experiment and got me out of my old Taco which just didn't suit us anymore. The good new is that whenever I do trade in for the 4Runner, my camp and road trip set up well be sorted and organized for efficiency and space!

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Nice boat?. I really want to build a stitch and glue. Candlefish13. Or PT 11

We just did 12 day Zion,Bryce, Capitol Reef Moab, Arches, Canyon Lands, Dead Horse and North Rim. Used the old 06 Sequoia and our 4x6 Original Lifetime tent trailer.

Yesterday my wife just told me to get our replacement vehicle figured out. Replacing the OB and the Sequoia with one car. Wife has her plugin Fusion. I really want the new Bronco to be First gen Sequoia sized. But its looking to be smaller. Realistically plugin 2020 Lincoln Aviator which is nearly identical in size to the 06 Sequoia is probably the smart choice. I’ll be giving up real 4x4 but haven’t needed it for yrs.

DaveM

Explorer
Candlefish is a nice looking skiff. If you decide you don't want to build I got a great little lapstrake skiff for sale right now ; )

That's a nice looking tent. A tent trailer would go along way towards making the OB work better for backcountry trips. I'm planning on eventually picking up the Taxa Woolly Bear but will still probably move back to a Toyota 4Runner to haul it. Thanks for info, cheers.

David

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Candlefish is a nice looking skiff. If you decide you don't want to build I got a great little lapstrake skiff for sale right now ; )

That's a nice looking tent. A tent trailer would go along way towards making the OB work better for backcountry trips. I'm planning on eventually picking up the Taxa Woolly Bear but will still probably move back to a Toyota 4Runner to haul it. Thanks for info, cheers.

David
The OB tows the 4x6 well 900lb empty probably 1300-1400 loaded really well. My 1800lb boat was clearly flat land trips only but 1400lbs is a non issue. The main issue is suspension my OB is the 2010 which had super soft squishy suspension to start with. 2015’s and newer got better suspension but its still the big negative. For road use its ok but when loaded you loose any ground clearance that would be of use off pavement.

The OB handled this last yrs wicked Sierra snow well. The BFG Advantage Sports hands down best tire I’ve run in 20 yrs with Subarus. No highway performance impact but super durable and pretty good for a M+S tire in the snow. Like them so much I put them on our Sequoia and so far Impressed with them on that heavy thing also. I’ll be putting them on my next rig for sure.

Just a warning though!! I got stuck twice backing out of a spot in the Ski resort parking lot. The cvt in reverse will stall out and cut power pretty quick when you have to climb over ice rubble. My first experience was a nose in parking spot against a snow berm. One front tire dropped off the pavement edge maybe 5-6 inch hole basically. Other three tires on clear pavement I had to get pulled out by snatch strap!! Zero tire spin with all nannies turned off!! A fwd mini van two cars down did the same thing they spun tires and climbed out!! Grrr

Second time was flat ski resort parking lot. Ice chunks had fallen off the mud flaps and wheel wells then about 6inches of fresh snow during the day. I couldn’t get backed out of my spot. I got out kicked the ice chunks out from behind the tires and then backed out?. Friends FWD chained up Highlander which just barely made it to the Ski resort that morning just backed out zero problems..

The Dealer maintenance BS and the cvt stall was the final decision no more Subarus for us.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12