Switching from Ford E-Series to FC/cabover (like Sportsmobile to Earthcruiser 4x4)?

geoffff

Observer
I've come to terms with the idea that the EarthCruiser will be noticeably slower than my Sportsmobile with its V10. I think the gasoline V8 in the current EarthCruiser will be sufficient.

I do plan on eventually traveling worldwide, after I spend a few years tweaking the systems with experience from shorter trips.

I want something sturdier than my Sportsmobile (which has been decent, but I have managed to break it in several ways over the years). Here I'm talking about weaknesses of the Ford van itself, Sportsmobile's 4x4 conversion, and also all the particleboard and wood screws used for their RV conversion.

The luxury of a bit more space would be nice, but I still want to be able to turn around on narrow trails that come to an abrupt end, even if it's a 5- or 7-point turn. I have eliminated from the running all vehicles with long hoods (pickup trucks) as a waste of space.

Offroad, my Sportsmobile's front end bottoms out easily. I am hoping the Earthcruiser will do a better job than that. I plan to go to Bend, OR and test drive one in the next month. I'll report back here with a comparison between my Sportsmobile and the EC!

-- Geoff

waveslider

Outdoorsman
Geoff,

That's awesome, thank you for doing that. It adds such a great perspective that is hard to envision otherwise. In terms of height, our particular truck is exceptionally tall - owing to the reality that one of the occupants is tall (me). So GXV had to make ours taller than most. I think your comparison for normal-sized rigs is likely pretty close. And yes, we have the 170 wheelbase.

My only experience/frame of reference with the FUSO is the diesel model so it will be interesting to hear your feedback on the gas version. I think you are in for a pleasant surprise going from SMB to EC in terms of fit and finish but I'm sure you already know that.

Lance and Michelle were VERY willing to work with my crazy dimensions but in the end the real issue was that I simply didn't fit into FUSO cab...like literally it was a contortion to drive...and the pop top and living space was slightly small for our desired uses. Bomber otherwise.

Your visual comparisons are undoubtedly going to help others as they weigh the options of size, form and function. Thanks.

Last edited:

geoffff

Observer
Does anyone know where an Isuzu NPS-based vehicle (e.g. an SLRV Adventurer) would fit in the diagram?

OK, challenge accepted :)

Looking at the website, I see that the Adventurer is listed as having a 4600 mm long box on the 3365 mm wheelbase Isuzu NPS 300. So, it's similar in size to the EarthCruiser (at least the taller fixed-top EarthCruiser FX), with a little extra hanging off the back (about 2 feet). Definitely smaller than the GXV Patagonia.

zeeede

OK, challenge accepted :)

Looking at the website, I see that the Adventurer is listed as having a 4600 mm long box on the 3365 mm wheelbase Isuzu NPS 300. So, it's similar in size to the EarthCruiser (at least the taller fixed-top EarthCruiser FX), with a little extra hanging off the back (about 2 feet). Definitely smaller than the GXV Patagonia.

One more challenge then Geofff - How about the new Dual Cab EarthCruiser in your size comparisons?

These diagrams/size comparisons are very helpful!

I plan to go to Bend, OR and test drive one in the next month. I'll report back here with a comparison between my Sportsmobile and the EC!

Looking forward to your report on that.

My wife and I are thinking of upgrading from the sprinter we full-timed in for a year. We have a baby now, and plans for one more. Four people full-timing in a van will get a little cramped!

geoffff

Observer
One more challenge then Geofff - How about the new Dual Cab EarthCruiser in your size comparisons?

Sure... It looks like the dual-cab / crew-cab version adds 899 mm (35") to the EarthCruiser. The extra 3 feet brings its length to about 23' long, still a foot shorter than the GXV Patagonia's 24' length. Turning circle diameter is increased from 40' to 49.5'.

pictured: GXV Patagonia, SLRV Adventurer, EarthCruiser EXP (crew-cab), EarthCruiser EXP (original)

Last edited:

geoffff

Observer
42a4163c-1bd4-42a5-a560-a11437c3e8f9.jpeg

[The EC looks "tougher" without its lower cladding! And for some reason the box looks a bit higher than I was expecting.]

Last edited:

zip

I prefer social distancing.
"As a bonus, we no longer find ourselves legitimately pissed at SMB for the awful quality product we bought and the hours of work required to fix their silly issues. Moving away from that was glorious".

Ditto

Railvan

Adventurer
Offroad, my Sportsmobile's front end bottoms out easily. I am hoping the Earthcruiser will do a better job than that. I plan to go to Bend, OR and test drive one in the next month. I'll report back here with a comparison between my Sportsmobile and the EC!

-- Geoff

Hi Geoff,

Great to see you still active around here. It's been a long time since we crossed paths on the road.

I have researched a very similar comparison for a few years but your visuals really help show the differences. Like you, my SMB has its limits and some good points too. I hate washboard roads while driving it. I recently disconnected the front sway bar and that does help smooth out the roughness on bumps. I get a little more body roll but it's not bad.

You mention the suspension of the SMB bottoming out but I don't see you considering improving the existing van suspension? Are you beyond that point in your thought process?

A good friend of mine bought a Fuso FG and had a box built and is building out the interior now. Every time I see it in person I'm reminded how much bigger it is compared to my van. The photo attached was taken when he picked up the box. It has windows and much more done to it now. And suspension parts have been ordered to convert to Super Singles and softer springs. He reports it rides very rough now with the stock Fuso truck springs.

Brian

Screen Shot 2020-08-30 at 9.24.39 AM.png

Last edited:

geoffff

Observer
Hi Brian! Good to hear from you, too!

I have convinced myself to move on from my Sportsmobile for a variety of reasons, but solutions to the Sportsmobile 4x4's rough ride and bottoming out would still be interesting to me. Mostly what I do for washboard is air down and drive fast, and that helps. As for bottoming out, my understanding has been that because the front axle is only 2" below the van's engine, there simply isn't much room for front suspension travel. And if I lift my van more than Sportsmobile's default 4" lift, the van won't fit in my 8' garage anymore. And, no, the EarthCruiser won't fit either :)

As for the EarthCruiser, I understand that EC changes up the Fuso's suspension when they add their own 4x4 conversion. So I'll just have to try it out and see. I plan to do direct comparisons, driving the same trails with my Sportsmobile and then the EC.

Hi Brian! Good to hear from you, too!

I have convinced myself to move on from my Sportsmobile for a variety of reasons, but solutions to the Sportsmobile 4x4's rough ride and bottoming out would still be interesting to me. Mostly what I do for washboard is air down and drive fast, and that helps. As for bottoming out, my understanding has been that because the front axle is only 2" below the van's engine, there simply isn't much room for front suspension travel. And if I lift my van more than Sportsmobile's default 4" lift, the van won't fit in my 8' garage anymore. And, no, the EarthCruiser won't fit either :)

As for the EarthCruiser, I understand that EC changes up the Fuso's suspension when they add their own 4x4 conversion. So I'll just have to try it out and see. I plan to do direct comparisons, driving the same trails with my Sportsmobile and then the EC.

Thank you for the diagrams. They are super helpful. Looking forward to what you think about the drivability if the 2020 EC. Keep us posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wfv56

Geoff,

That's awesome, thank you for doing that. It adds such a great perspective that is hard to envision otherwise. In terms of height, our particular truck is exceptionally tall - owing to the reality that one of the occupants is tall (me). So GXV had to make ours taller than most. I think your comparison for normal-sized rigs is likely pretty close. And yes, we have the 170 wheelbase.

My only experience/frame of reference with the FUSO is the diesel model so it will be interesting to hear your feedback on the gas version. I think you are in for a pleasant surprise going from SMB to EC in terms of fit and finish but I'm sure you already know that.

Lance and Michelle were VERY willing to work with my crazy dimensions but in the end the real issue was that I simply didn't fit into FUSO cab...like literally it was a contortion to drive...and the pop top and living space was slightly small for our desired uses. Bomber otherwise.

Your visual comparisons are undoubtedly going to help others as they weigh the options of size, form and function. Thanks.
It sounds like your pretty tall. How’s the fit in the K370? I sat in one at global X and do fit but it seemed kind of tight.

waveslider

Outdoorsman
Yeah, I have a fair bit of experience with "adapting" vehicles to my special dimensions. I'm 6'8" and I specifically asked GXV not to mess with it and that I would deal with it once we got settled.

Since the passthru is so huge in the GXV, and it extends to behind the driver, I was able to adapt the factory seat bracket by "reversing" it so-to-speak and that moved the whole thing back some 6 inches or so and gave me tons of leg room. In fact for my wife to drive she now slides the seat all the way forward on the rails. Just had to take a small piece of flat steel and match up holes and bingo! I am going to show GXV what I did when we stop in next time since its a super simple adaptation. I can also kick the seat back quite a ways since there is essentially no rear wall behind it which adds to the comfort.

I think GXV is now doing a modified extended cab that I'm sure adds all kinds of ergonomic possibilities so that's a consideration too I suppose.

The passenger side is still a bit cramped but not awful. Its a cab over so any way you slice it you are going to be sitting pretty upright.

gregmchugh

Observer
Yeah, I have a fair bit of experience with "adapting" vehicles to my special dimensions. I'm 6'8" and I specifically asked GXV not to mess with it and that I would deal with it once we got settled.

Since the passthru is so huge in the GXV, and it extends to behind the driver, I was able to adapt the factory seat bracket by "reversing" it so-to-speak and that moved the whole thing back some 6 inches or so and gave me tons of leg room. In fact for my wife to drive she now slides the seat all the way forward on the rails. Just had to take a small piece of flat steel and match up holes and bingo! I am going to show GXV what I did when we stop in next time since its a super simple adaptation. I can also kick the seat back quite a ways since there is essentially no rear wall behind it which adds to the comfort.

I think GXV is now doing a modified extended cab that I'm sure adds all kinds of ergonomic possibilities so that's a consideration too I suppose.

The passenger side is still a bit cramped but not awful. Its a cab over so any way you slice it you are going to be sitting pretty upright.

Do you have the stock K-370 seats or did you do a seat upgrade?

waveslider

Outdoorsman
He have the stock seats and air ride baffles. The one benefit of the stock seats is that they aren't particularly big so I figured I had a better chance of making more room with a basic seat. But I can tell you that, after having recently pulled the seats out to do some work in the cab - they are NOT lightweight. Whew.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles