Swing-out tire carrier buildup!!

really nice job :D. cant wait til i get my welder...

here's a great tip on notching tubes...instead of hole-sawing a fishmouth, cut the end of the tube youre fitting to a point. youll need to work out the angle, but there are some calculators online for the angles if your joint is not 90*, even templates for the cut.

now turn it sideways...easy fishmouth :D. the curve of the tube provides the necessary curve for the joint, just needs a bit of touchup on a grinding wheel and it'll fit almost perfectly. all ya gotta do is cut a straight line.

-sean

HongerVenture

Adventurer
Very nice build-up. This has given me several ideas for my upcoming bumper. I'm still not sure if I'll make a swing-out or not, but I know that the rear quarter panels will need wraparound protection. Your swing-out is super trick and is seriously making me consider making that a feature.

I'd be curious to see more pics of your latching and securing mechanism (you mentioned rubber pads of some sort). Do you observe any "bouncing" of the tire as you drive off-road? Is there any forward-backward movement of the tire?

Again, it looks fantastic. I'm quite envious of your talent and skill with fabbing.:bowdown:

For other folks future reference, Slee offers a tire carrier spindle that I've heard glowing reports of. Click here to see that.

Last edited:

Willman

FlyingWen said:
Awesome cool bumper. I love the swing out tire...!

Congrats on being a "New Dad"!

Thanks and Welcome to the site!!!

Thanks all for the kind words and tips!!

Willman

HongerVenture said:
I'm still not sure if I'll make a swing-out or not, but I know that the rear quarter panels will need wraparound protection. Your swing-out is super trick and is seriously making me consider making that a feature.

I'd be curious to see more pics of your latching and securing mechanism (you mentioned rubber pads of some sort). Do you observe any "bouncing" of the tire as you drive and off-road? Is there any forward-backward movement of the tire?

I have finished my rear quarter panel wraparound with 1.5" tube! Pictures to come!

The tire and gate does not move at all! It is very strong!!! I am 100% happy with the outcome and overall look!

java

Expedition Leader
Very nice craftsmanship. If you do decide to start producing these before you move i would be very interested also!

Willman

java said:
Very nice craftsmanship. If you do decide to start producing these before you move i would be very interested also!

Thanks! The idea has passed through my mind....too busy with school....Keep you all posted....

I need to add the updated pictures of the new side protection...coming soon!!

:elkgrin:

Willman

Here's the new side protection! Made out of .120 1.5" HREW tube.
I have already put it to good use!!! It turned out great!!!

DSC02197.jpg

DSC02198.jpg

:jumping:

Now time to get the air tank all plumbed up to my future high output compressor.....coming soon!

;)

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Looking good.

Willman said:
Here's the new side protection! Made out of .120 1.5" HREW tube.
I have already put it to good use!!! It turned out great!!!

DSC02197.jpg

Nice work. I'm currious if you tied in the front sections (i.e. closest to the tire) to the frame?
Cheers :beer:,
P

Willman

p1michaud said:
Nice work. I'm currious if you tied in the front sections (i.e. closest to the tire) to the frame?
Cheers :beer:,
P

In the center of the lower tube, their is a support going back to the frame. Don't have a good picture right now....the truck :safari-rig: is 800 miles away....Post one when i return from UT.

P1010008.jpg

(you can barely see it, better picture coming soon)

:REOutIceFishing:

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Show Off! PUNK! I AM SOOO JEALOUS!!! ;)

Take it from a guy who can barely tie his own shoes yet appreciates a quality vision and implementation: JOB WELL DONE! You have remarkable talent for craftsmanship and a great eye for design. Punk...

:friday:

Willman

Schattenjager said:
Show Off! PUNK! I AM SOOO JEALOUS!!! ;)

Take it from a guy who can barely tie his own shoes yet appreciates a quality vision and implementation: JOB WELL DONE! You have remarkable talent for craftsmanship and a great eye for design. Punk...

:friday:

Thanks my Punk friend!!!...lol

:steak:

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Very nice

Willman said:
Here you go....

DSC02391.jpg

Job well done. I was wondering how you tied in the sides. They should hold the weight of the truck if you need to jack from the side.

Thanks for the pic.

Cheers,
P

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles