Suzuki DR200: my first motorcycle

edgear

aventurero, Overland Certified OC0012
Sorry - I haven't checked this thread in quite some time.

What's the exact spec on the new Renthall bars?

The Renthall bars are model #611, and are the 7/8" (22mm):

A = 767
B = 154
C = 112
D = 190
E = 70

Did you remove the locator nub on the off/run switch mount or drill a hole in the bar to accept it?

I do recall grinding off that plastic nub, which wasn't very difficult. I haven't had any issues with the mount moving at all.

[*]How tall are you? (I'm trying to work out the best rise; I'm 5'7".)

I am 5'11", 200lbs. I have been keeping track of my mpg on most tanks of gas, and have been averaging about 70mpg. This is probably due to my weight. If the rider weighs in the 120-150lb range, they could probably achieve the advertised 100mpg.

And an unrelated question: When you stand on the pegs do you find that your right leg gets close enough to the exhaust that your pants melt?

Me and the exhaust have had a few run-ins. To date, I have melted three items on the exhaust, but not simultaneously. This has included: pants, jacket, and pannier. But all have been operator error - not a fault of the equipment!

edgear

rear rack from Cycleracks.com

So I have finally done another mod to the DR200 - my first in several months. It is documented in more detail here. So far I have just strapped a few soft bags to the top, but have plans on possibly mounting some panniers and a top box. Stay tuned!

Attachments

• P8031248.jpg
    P8031248.jpg
    383.5 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

805gregg

Adventurer
Remember to treat it like a new bike with oil changes and rpm ranges, no matter how old it is. With 400 miles it's not broken it yet.

edgear

It's at just over 3500 miles now, and I did oil changes at 500, 1000, and 3000 miles (along with all the other recommended maintenance in the manual). For the most part I lube the chain every two weeks. No major or minor issues to speak of. The only thing that has failed on the bike so far was the horn, and that was because I was honking it not long after a water-crossing - so it probably shorted out after getting wet!

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
Sorry - I haven't checked this thread in quite some time.

<snip>

Me and the exhaust have had a few run-ins. To date, I have melted three items on the exhaust, but not simultaneously. This has included: pants, jacket, and pannier. But all have been operator error - not a fault of the equipment!

No worries! I worked it out myself. I can't remember what model bars I ended up with other than the bag was labeled "Kawasaki Mini Bike" when it arrived! Much better than stock.

My DR now has over 7000 miles and is purring along nicely. I usually get around 95 MPG. And no additional melting!

Cheers,
Graham

D

Deleted member 9101

I took the motorcycle class 9 months ago and obtained the M endorsement, but sadly have not been on a bike since then. I've done quite a bit of research since then on dual sport motorcycling. Aside from the tiny class bikes, I had only been on a Suzuki DR650. I seriously considered going for something in the 650cc range. But after talking to more people and knowing my comfort level, I decided that much smaller, lighter and less powerful bike would be ideal for me to learn on. Yesterday afternoon I finally pulled the trigger on a used 2007 DR200 with only 412 miles on the ODO. It rides great, and I'm looking forward to using it around town and to hit some trails. At an estimated 100mpg with a 3.4 gallon tank, I should have a longer range than my Tacoma.

:roost:

IMG_0691.jpg

Thank you for being smart and buying a bike with in your riding ability. I have seen far too many people let there ego push them to buy something thats way too much bike for them.

GSer

The rack looks great! Thanks for the detailed information. A good friend of mine has a DR650 and I forwarded the info. on to him. :bike_rider:

So I have finally done another mod to the DR200 - my first in several months. It is documented in more detail here. So far I have just strapped a few soft bags to the top, but have plans on possibly mounting some panniers and a top box. Stay tuned!

edgear

installing a top-box on the DR200

Several weeks ago I installed a top-box on the DR200, and it has worked out great - especially on the new rack from Cycleracks. I generally carry my laptop in a Timbuktu messenger-style bag (which can be uncomfortable to ride with), so now I just toss it in the Stormcase. This will provide for good dust & water-proof storage, as well as security, on my upcoming 10-day adventure in Baja next month. For the details on the install, check here.

Attachments

• L1030720.JPG
    L1030720.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 421

edgear

Thank you for being smart and buying a bike with in your riding ability. I have seen far too many people let there ego push them to buy something thats way too much bike for them.

I hope to ride for many, many years. And I'm generally prone to injuring myself, so I figured it would be much safer for me to start out on one of the smallest & most underpowered dualsports out there!!

edgear

breathing new life into the DR200

attachment.php

My latest mod to the DR200 is a set of proper dualsport tires: Dunlop D606. This is a huge improvement over the stock Bridgestone Trail Wings. Although I will lose some efficiency on the pavement, the new tires will be much safer in the dirt. All of my wipeouts or near-crashes have been in the dirt, and most were due to the tires (or operator error).

In the front, the new tires weigh 3 lbs more, and are 1.75 inches taller. In the rear, they are 4 lbs heavier, and 1.25 inches taller. I changed them out by myself using tire irons - which took a few hours and was quite a workout. I also pinch-flatted the first set of tubes since I did not use any sort of talc powder or soapy water. For round-two of changing the tubes I used soapy water and everything worked out just fine.

front:
attachment.php
attachment.php

rear:
attachment.php
attachment.php

My initial impressions of the tires are that they are substantially buzzier on the pavement. I was also able to lock up the brakes & slide much easier than with the Trail Wings, so I will need to keep that in mind when braking on pavement. I've only had a chance to hit a dirt road briefly, but they felt much safer. I hope to do some singletrack this weekend. On the old tires, the front end would washout very easily -- sometimes causing the rider to be ejected over the handlebars!!

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• D606 1.jpg
    D606 1.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 408
  • D606 2.jpg
    D606 2.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 395
  • D606 3.jpg
    D606 3.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 394
  • D606 4.jpg
    D606 4.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 394
  • PA183631.JPG
    PA183631.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 390
  • PA183632.JPG
    PA183632.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 393
  • PA183634.JPG
    PA183634.JPG
    164.7 KB · Views: 408

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Tires make a huge difference -- you know that now.

Also, to help avoid pinching a tube when installing tires, partially inflate the tube prior to pulling the last bead over the rim.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
We'll see how the new treads do on the highway when we're testing top speeds with the NX and BJ70....:sombrero:

-H-

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
These D606 tires do very well on the blacktop too.
They are speed rated for a maximum of 81mph so Jeremy will have to take it easy with the throttle.

I have the same on my bike.
They like to grab into cracks on the road and follow them and they bumble a bit when changing serfices to the side, like in construction areas with new blacktop and uneven lanes. Other than that they are very comfortable.

And they hookup great on the trail!

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
These D606 tires do very well on the blacktop too.
They are speed rated for a maximum of 81mph . . .

Off hand, do you know if all the sizes are rated the same?

81mph ain't gonna do it for me -- and I was considering them for the next set on the 800GS (right after the 18" rim gets laced on the back . . . )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94