Suzuki DR200: my first motorcycle

Fishenough

Creeper
Congrats on the great bike, not even broken in yet too!

Last bike in NA for myself was a DR650 and found that the cheapest new flexy turn signals were Kawasaki units for a KLX250 (those protrusions were mt first thought too); some what like the ones on my new D-Tracker. My first brand new bike and first Kawasaki; I'll never go back to a big bike again, the 100 mpg on my fuel injected 250 more than makes up for being the last one to the top of the mountain. 3500 miles in 3 months, and bikes like these feel as easy as riding a bicycle; next up getting set up for week plus trips.

Wish I could get a tank like yours, but have to settle for 2l spare tankage for now.

Cheers

dsc_6934.jpg

edgear

aventurero, Overland Certified OC0012
first droppage

This past Sunday was beautiful weather here in Prescott. That morning I decided to head out on a short adventure. I had never been to Lynx Lake and that looked like a good destination. The road there was nicely paved, about 50-55 mph, and winded up in to the pine trees. I continued up the road past the lake where it eventually turned to dirt. The stock tires on the DR200 are probably geared towards 80% pavement, but I kept my speeds low and did just fine on this graded dirt road. I gradually got into some snow & mud, and even some shallow water crossings. The road seemed to dead end at Potato Patch (a private community), and there was a sign posted 'No motorcycles allowed.' This made for a wonderful first solo adventure.

Then later that afternoon I rode with Scott Brady out to the Alto Pits, a designated motorcycle area with a lot of single-track. This was my first time on technical dirt terrain, and he tough me a lot of good tips for various scenarios. It was tough to stand up on that small bike, so I ended up sitting for most of the ride. On one sharp turn I caught a rock with my rear tire and ended up putting the bike down. A little bit of the plastic got scraped (thankfully it was soft sand), and part of the hard plastic on the rear turn signal broke - but the signal still works just fine. No damage done to the rider aside from a small bruise!
IMG_0755.JPG

I performed the first 500-mile oil change which was quite easy. Only 1 quart of oil required (when you remember to put the plug back in).

Now for some possible suspension upgrades, and handlebar changes.

Rexsname

Explorer
Yeah, that whole oil change process goes a whole lot faster once the plug is in...:coffeedrink: I hope you had enough oil to finnish:wings:

REX

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
... and part of the hard plastic on the rear turn signal broke - but the signal still works just fine ...

Been there, done that! I found if I can retrieve most of the broken pieces the whole thing can be held together with clear tape. That said, the bike is due for its inspection...

Now for some possible suspension upgrades, and handlebar changes.

Let me know how the handlebars go. My stock handlebars are too short even for my 5'7" frame so I'm considering taller ATV bars. I'm wondering if there will be more vibration with bars that don't have the steel plugs in the end.

Glad you're enjoying the bike. Its a hoot to ride.

Cheers,
Graham

edgear

more single-track adventure

Today Scott took me out to some great single-track that goes between Lynx & Goldwater lakes, just south of Prescott. There were several steep & loose climbs that were a fun challenge, along with some rocky descents. No droppage this time so that's a good thing. I was able to practice some more standing-up techniques, but that is still a bit difficult on this bike with the short handlebars. Here are a few shots that Scott took:

attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• L1020423_.jpg
    L1020423_.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 637
  • L1020426_.jpg
    L1020426_.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 626
  • L1020427_.jpg
    L1020427_.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 627

edgear

bigger foot pegs

The stock DR200 pegs are 3" x 1.25". I scored a free pair of stock KTM 950 pegs which are 3.25" x 2" -- a much better platform for standing on compared to the stock ones. Some slight modification was required, as I had to grind off some excess metal which caused the KTM pegs to be too wide for the brackets on the Suzuki.

Side-by-side comparison:
attachment.php

attachment.php

Excess metal ground off:

attachment.php

attachment.php

KTM pegs on Suzuki DR200:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0793.jpg
    IMG_0793.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 604
  • IMG_0794.jpg
    IMG_0794.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 607
  • IMG_0797.jpg
    IMG_0797.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 600
  • IMG_0803.jpg
    IMG_0803.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 597
  • IMG_0800.jpg
    IMG_0800.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 605
  • IMG_0798.jpg
    IMG_0798.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 592

edgear

first farkles on the dr.

One of the major downsides of this motorcyle was the handlebar height. It was set up for a shorter person, making it difficult to comfortably stand up for any period of time. In addition there were no handlebar guards, causing my hands to get a bit chilly and/or possibly injured.

The stock handlebars had about 100mm of rise, so I upgraded to 150mm. The new ones were noticeably lighter than the stock ones, and should be much stronger too:

attachment.php
attachment.php

I also picked up some Acerbis handguard, and some very cushy grips:

attachment.php
attachment.php

I immediately noticed that the bike was more comfortable, both while sitting down on the pavement and while standing in the dirt. The bars can still be rotated upwards a little bit (which I will probably do), or rotated downwards for a shorter rider.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0871.JPG
    IMG_0871.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 568
  • IMG_0873.JPG
    IMG_0873.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 568
  • IMG_0909.JPG
    IMG_0909.JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 573
  • IMG_0912.JPG
    IMG_0912.JPG
    132 KB · Views: 567
  • IMG_0875.JPG
    IMG_0875.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0877.JPG
    IMG_0877.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 567
Very nice! What brand of handle bars did you go with? I have a 1987 Honda TLR 200 Reflex I want to switch the bars out on as well. Yours look really good! Keep the updates coming!!!

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
The stock handlebars had about 100mm of rise, so I upgraded to 150mm.

Hi Jeremy,

I've got a couple of handlebar questions, if you wouldn't mind:

1. What's the exact spec on the new Renthall bars?
  2. Did you remove the locator nub on the off/run switch mount or drill a hole in the bar to accept it?
  3. How tall are you? (I'm trying to work out the best rise; I'm 5'7".)

And an unrelated question: When you stand on the pegs do you find that your right leg gets close enough to the exhaust that your pants melt?

Cheers,
Graham

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior