Suggestions for a 2008 Toyota 4Runner

Neosapian

Innate Outdoor Co
What are thoughts between the following: OME, Bilstein 6112/5160, and ICON?

I dont know much about the technical & mechanical differences between them.

My opinion? ICON for bragging rights, Bilstein for comfort, OME for load capacity. Thats kind of how i view it.

I considered Toytec’s for my 4th gen but in the end I was sold on Old Man Emu’s parent company, ARB and their stellar customer service combined with the outstanding reputation of the company who manufactures the OME Nitrocharger shocks themselves. Plus Im a fanboy of he Australian off road scene and OME is well proven over there.

I get the idea that most of the available lifts for our trucks are generally very good, as long as its well matched to your vehicle weight and driving style.

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Doesn't Toyota put a version of Fox shocks on their new TRD lineup? I don't think those things need to be rebuilt any sooner than the regular suspension setup's.
Fox recommends the TRD Pro Fox suspension be serviced on the same schedule as they do the Raptor suspension. Fox (or any shop for that matter who services Fox) can get parts to do them, although Fox themselves will not do it while the truck is still under warranty, that's Ford's and Toyota's responsibility. I understand if the shocks do happen to need servicing while still under warranty Toyota just replaces them.

The Fox that Toyota uses are basically smooth body (e.g. no threads, so not ride height adjustable) 2.5" IFP shocks. This is what Fox will refer you to if you ask about the TRD Pro suspension or any of their shocks:
https://www.ridefox.com/service.php?m=truck&ref=topnav

Fox says if you do nothing but street that shocks may go 50,000 miles between full rebuilds. Which is what any shock will last in street use. Nitrochargers are no different, they'll last a long time in light duty. But push them 100% over washboards they won't and neither will Fox/Icon/Radflo/King. Heat and dirt are murder on shocks.

I've had OME and it's good stuff, but it's still sealed, twin tube bodies with a limited performance and life and I preferred not to have to throw away any more dead shocks, so I'm trying the lower end of the top tier. I don't have remote reservoirs, but did go with extended travel, 2.5" bodies in the front and 2.0" bodies in the rear to save money. IMO going with aluminum body 2.0" IFP Fox all around would be a good compromise, rebuildable without being uber expensive and you can tune the valving and adjust ride height as well.

Last edited:

Dalko43

Explorer
Fox recommends the TRD Pro Fox suspension be serviced on the same schedule as they do the Raptor suspension. Fox (or any shop for that matter who services Fox) can get parts to do them, although Fox themselves will not do it while the truck is still under warranty, that's Ford's and Toyota's responsibility. I understand if the shocks do happen to need servicing while still under warranty Toyota just replaces them.

Does Toyota actually recommend shock service intervals?

Fox says if you do nothing but street that shocks may go 50,000 miles between full rebuilds. Which is what any shock will last in street use. Nitrochargers are no different, they'll last a long time in light duty. But push them 100% over washboards they won't and neither will Fox/Icon/Radflo/King. Heat and dirt are murder on shocks.

I think traditional nitrochargers will last much longer than 50k with street driving.

jahalver0706

The Fox that Toyota uses are basically smooth body (e.g. no threads, so not ride height adjustable) 2.5" IFP shocks. This is what Fox will refer you to if you ask about the TRD Pro suspension or any of their shocks:
https://www.ridefox.com/service.php?m=truck&ref=topnav

I've had OME and it's good stuff, but it's still sealed, twin tube bodies with a limited performance and life and I preferred not to have to throw away any more dead shocks, so I'm trying the lower end of the top tier. I don't have remote reservoirs, but did go with extended travel, 2.5" bodies in the front and 2.0" bodies in the rear to save money. IMO going with aluminum body 2.0" IFP Fox all around would be a good compromise, rebuildable without being uber expensive and you can tune the valving and adjust ride height as well.

I appreciate the info here Dave. I’ll definitely look at Fox. For Sure

94toy22re

Observer
I have the discontinued bilstien TRD kit, rock slider and 265\70\17s and had never had a issue on any of the Colorado trails i have attempted. I paid less then 600 for the Bilstien kit, well worth it! This is on a 2007 4Runner!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94