Subaru owners: Let's see your expedition rigs!

fike

Adventurer
For a vehicle to need an engine overhaul somewhere between 100K and 200K miles doesn't seem like a tragedy to me. At 100K miles, you are facing all sorts of stuff to do on most vehicles including every seal, bearing, clutch, rotor, sparkplug, drum, ball joint, and probably for the second time your battery and tires...all this is particularly true if the vehicle in question has seen rugged offroad use. That is part of the reason I typically don't keep my vehicles well into the 100K+ mile range. There is just so much to take care of, and each one is an inconvenience. I am always hoping the inconvenience doesn't strike when I am 50 miles down a remote forest service road.

Last edited:
Oddly enough I have had six Subaru's and none of them ever needed a rebuild, head gasket, clutch, bearings or radiator/water pump. The lowest mileage is my 07 forester I bought from the in-laws, it has 92k on it now. The highest was a 89 gl wagon I bought from the in-laws, it had 287333 when I sold it and the original clutch was just showing signs of slipping. All I have ever had to do to a Subaru is timing belts and related pulleys, replace a carb on a 84 gl wagon and a 86 loyale wagon. With the exception of my forester every car had 175k or more. I think they are pretty amazing cars really. Just my 2 cents.

LionZoo

Observer
This is cross posted to the Event Reports forum, but I thought you guys would enjoy this as well.

23764847480_abee23741f_b.jpg

A pair of 2016 Subies.

Rot Box

Explorer
EDIT: Sorry to crap in the nest everyone :eek:

Here's my old Subaru at the lake. Did some ice fishing.. Used my new expo crate to haul the gear out on the ice :cool:

FullSizeRender_zpsx6nhhspz.jpg

That's unfortunate. I keep looking at getting a Subaru but then I keep hearing stories like these.

I know my way through the 05-09 models pretty good now. If you have any questions pm me I would not hesitate buying one but..... :D

Last edited:

bmaddux

Yes, i agree. There is a place for these conversations and photos of engine builds but not here. Look at the title. Its supposed to be a simple thread of people showing off their expo rig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jakes01234

Explorer
Rot box went above and beyond what the title of the thread suggests, he lifted her skirt and showed us his cars naughty bits.

oldestof11

Observer
My 07 2.5i outback is pushing oil out the top of the drivers head gasket. Going to replace the PCV valve and see if it helps.

vwhammer

Adventurer
Wrapped up the lift and headed out on a quick shakedown run on some of southeast Ohio's back roads in the hocking hills.
Ready to start adding a few more bits of equipment so I can start doing a little adventuring/camping.

CurtStyler

Observer
I finally got my Smittybilt Overlander Tent mounted on my Outback.

I put it on my stock crossbars which was the hard part. I didn't have enough room to get a regular socket wrench under the bar, I had to go out and buy a ratcheting wrench which saved the day. The stock cross bars are also so low profile, the bolts included with the tent were too long so that was another trip. All in all, after I had a shorter bolts and the new wrench it was done in about an hour or so. I'm so excited to get out and try it.

12471650_10205750021126813_2492412000479722927_o.jpg

iamsuperb

How much did the RTT effect your gas mileage? I'looking at getting a new Outback or Forester. Going to test drive today.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I finally got my Smittybilt Overlander Tent mounted on my Outback.

I put it on my stock crossbars which was the hard part. I didn't have enough room to get a regular socket wrench under the bar, I had to go out and buy a ratcheting wrench which saved the day. The stock cross bars are also so low profile, the bolts included with the tent were too long so that was another trip. All in all, after I had a shorter bolts and the new wrench it was done in about an hour or so. I'm so excited to get out and try it.

View attachment 324165

The bar height limited space between roof and bar has been my only big complaint with the stock rack. Guessing 5mpg hit to the 65+mph average? That seems my typical mpg hit with bulky stuff on the lid. 60mph and under the mpg hit really drops off and is harder to track.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles