Studded vs non-studded Nokian LT2/3 - calling fellow northerners & Canadians

Nathansharkey80

I respectfully disagree, studs only work on warm ice. At -20 pure rubber winter tires are better. Ice is as hard as steel at -20 and steel on steel is slipperier than rubber on steel.... or ice....

With all due respect. Ice is hydrogen-bonded. This means that it doesn't form covalent bonds and each molecule of water always retains its identity. ... So, no, ice does not significantly increase in hardness as it gets colder.

That being said, rubber does get much more dense/hard and less pliable when it becomes cold and the technology of the modern winter tire is based on rubber compounds and patterns which only have effectiveness until the reach a certain temperature. In other words, the warmer they are, the more effective they are.

I can tell you this has been my experience as an oilfield guy traveling the Alaska highways for years, through the Rockies in the winters pulling a trailer full of sleds and also winter back country logging in the kootenays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

billiebob

So, no, ice does not significantly increase in hardness as it gets colder.
says the guy to the guy from Yellowknife who spent 10 years at winter temperatures to 70 below.
says the guy to the guy who bartended for 10 years and knows warm ice crushes way easier the cold ice which breaks the blender

ice on the roads in Yellowknife is more permanent than pavement at 50 below.

I have a hard time believing the experience, sounds like we are neighbours, sounds like we are co workers, but your experience makes me wonder why you don't list your location on your profile.

Jwestpro

Explorer
But that is not to say studs are ever better than the new studless winter tires today.

So then what scenario did Nokian spend so much $ on R&D to come up with the newest LT3 studs? They talk about wear, etc. My youth was living in winter northern MN which didn't have the temp swings like you mention. I really appreciate the experiences shared, so thanks!

Jwestpro

Explorer
I can tell you this has been my experience as an oilfield guy traveling the Alaska highways for years, through the Rockies in the winters pulling a trailer full of sleds and also winter back country logging in the kootenays.

I do enjoy hearing about even more specialized circumstances but for the purpose of this thread, or my question anyway, the studdless is probably the best choice especially from a longer trip point of view where widely varying conditions will occur.

Seems to me one could also say just take it easy with speed using studs for where it's dry pavement and then you're good for whatever you find.

Nathansharkey80

says the guy to the guy from Yellowknife who spent 10 years at winter temperatures to 70 below.
says the guy to the guy who bartended for 10 years and knows warm ice crushes way easier the cold ice which breaks the blender

ice on the roads in Yellowknife is more permanent than pavement at 50 below.

I have a hard time believing the experience, sounds like we are neighbours, sounds like we are co workers, but your experience makes me wonder why you don't list your location on your profile.

Haha first of all, I couldn’t give a rats ass if you believe me about who I am and where I am from and what experience that I have.

Second of all, if you go to Nelson BC and ask around about who I am, they will satisfy your curiosity. Go have a look at LVR High School year books from the 90’s and you will find me. Spent a lot of time there when I was younger.

Third, go talk to anyone in oil and gas in Calgary and ask about me. That is if you are really as curious about who I am as you claim to be.

Otherwise, if you want to disagree with my opinion and disregard my experience, then go for that too.

Lastly merry Christmas you filthy animal

billiebob

Haha first of all, I couldn’t give a rats ass if you believe me about who I am and where I am from and what experience that I have.

Second of all, if you go to Nelson BC and ask around about who I am, they will satisfy your curiosity. Go have a look at LVR High School year books from the 90’s and you will find me. Spent a lot of time there when I was younger.

Third, go talk to anyone in oil and gas in Calgary and ask about me. That is if you are really as curious about who I am as you claim to be.

Otherwise, if you want to disagree with my opinion and disregard my experience, then go for that too.

Lastly merry Christmas you filthy animal

I have very different opinions on how temperature affects how hard ice is. I don't expect anyone to give their address but some indication of where you are from adds value to everything you post. How can anyone ask about who you are? Is Nathan Sharkey your real name? Were you born in 1980? And really, filthy animal?

Red is right and I want to go for a beer.... I know a great bar..... changes hands often but....
l.jpg

Nathansharkey80

I have very different opinions on how temperature affects how hard ice is. I don't expect anyone to give their address but some indication of where you are from adds value to everything you post. How can anyone ask about who you are? Is Nathan Sharkey your real name? Were you born in 1980? And really, filthy animal?

Red is right and I want to go for a beer.... I know a great bar..... changes hands often but....
View attachment 555901

Haha you never watched the film home alone?

I know that restaurant. Back in Winlaw

billiebob

Stealing the thread, changing pace for all those who want a beer... The journey to Winlaw is an adventure.

Nakusp, 15 minutes from home. With Canadian Mountain Holidays Heli Skiing flying past. The pool will be full in an hour.

001 Nakusp.jpg

Halfway, snow mobile access in the winter.

002 Halfway.jpg

Canyon.. my favourite

003 Canyon.jpg

Radium... the cure for cancer 50 yearsago.

004 Raduim.jpg

White Swan. Descending temperatures from.. so freaking hot, to ice cold mountain stream.

005 White Swan.jpg

Fairmont, bring your golf clubs, they have two 18 hole courses... plus a ski hill.

006 Fairmont.jpg

Ainsworth Caves

007 Ainsworth.jpg

Halcyon
008 Halcyon.jpg

And Halcyon has an awesome dining room the King Fisher

008 King Fisher.jpg

Google the West Koot Route. Many power line, logging, forestry, summit passes for those who hate pavement.

Last edited:

billiebob

Back on topic, studs are great when you lock up yer tires. Once rubber starts sliding it loses all stopping power but regardless of the ice temperature, studs will resist sliding. If you drive something without ABS..... studs are an advantage.... as they were 50 years ago. But if you have ABS, they offer no advantage. They are old school technology. Like comparing the postal service to email.

Jwestpro

Explorer
So basically you created this thread to complain about the opinions that you asked for.

This place is becoming worse than Facebook.

****************, but you now reply with "complaining" about how I respond to your off the cuff crap? LOL

Your first reply was meaningless with no context.

Your follow-up was thoughtful but I had to drag it out of you.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz