spare tire shaped water storage?

grimbo

Explorer
A mate of mine just filled an inner tube with water and put it into a spare tyre carcass. Also added another valve to the inner tube with a hose. Hook the air compressor up to the tyre valve, open the tank and hit the on switch, pressurised water.

Mind you he only used it a couple of times because it was a pain to fill :)

southpier

Expedition Leader
some trip reports indicate early termination, citing lack of water as the reason. maybe 40 is just right?

although 40 x 8.2 is a tad more than 200#

spikemd

Explorer
I am now looking for a spare tire water solution myself since my 33 won't fit down there. I would like to put in a pump and have an attachment outside the vehicle for a hose and/or other attachments;.

Those aluminum tanks are nice, but very pricey. I am sure there are some polypropylene ones for cheaper. I have also seen collapsible plastic tanks/bladders that might work but I think I want something that is solidly attached.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
A mate of mine just filled an inner tube with water and put it into a spare tyre carcass. Also added another valve to the inner tube with a hose. Hook the air compressor up to the tyre valve, open the tank and hit the on switch, pressurised water.

Mind you he only used it a couple of times because it was a pain to fill :)

Thought about that years ago, have you seen the inside of an inner-tube? All that silver stuff used in molding the rubber, air carries impurities, mold, not too sanitary, I'd be hard pressed drinking it but guess with a good filter that would get the rubber taste out I might. :)

If you're interested in a bladder system, look at Jack's Plastic Welding, bags, pontoons, raft stuff. If you can draw it they can probably make it, they seem reasonable on prices too. No affiliation with them either. :)

NCLRbear

Adventurer
I am now looking for a spare tire water solution myself since my 33 won't fit down there. I would like to put in a pump and have an attachment outside the vehicle for a hose and/or other attachments;.

Those aluminum tanks are nice, but very pricey. I am sure there are some polypropylene ones for cheaper. I have also seen collapsible plastic tanks/bladders that might work but I think I want something that is solidly attached.
any progress on this idea yet? thinking about it mysef.

rayra

Expedition Leader
A niche product but a global market. Someone out to write it up and market the idea to some of the poly / HDPE tank makers, roto-molders. It would be east to make and outfit with standard drum bungs / fittings.

barring that, just fab up your own basket and load it up with gallon jugs or put in the largest squat rectangular tank that will fit.

http://www.plasticwatertanks.com/
usplastics.com

Rando

Explorer
The original poster is probably long gone - but I did just what he was thinking. I moved the spare on my LC to a bumper swingout, and put a 15 gal water tank and 3 gal propane tank in the space it formally occupied. There is no need to use a round tank, the hole is rectangular. I use these two tanks:
Water: http://www.amazon.com/Valterra-R8024-ABS-Water-Tank/dp/B0006MRSKW
Propane: http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?id=2447

They are protected by a hefty steel bumper and an aluminium skid plate, and the water tank and pump are insulated with a double layer of reflectix.

chet6.7

Explorer
The original poster is probably long gone - but I did just what he was thinking. I moved the spare on my LC to a bumper swingout, and put a 15 gal water tank and 3 gal propane tank in the space it formally occupied. There is no need to use a round tank, the hole is rectangular. I use these two tanks:
Water: http://www.amazon.com/Valterra-R8024-ABS-Water-Tank/dp/B0006MRSKW
Propane: http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?id=2447

They are protected by a hefty steel bumper and an aluminium skid plate, and the water tank and pump are insulated with a double layer of reflectix.

My spare won't fit in the stock location,I am thinking of ways to use that space.I was thinking about mounting a 5gal. propane tank on a swing-out,next to the spare tire,but I think a propane tank mounted like you did may be a little safer in a collision.
If you get the chance I would like to see some pictures of your tanks.How did you mount/secure the tanks to the vehicle?
Thanks.

Rando

Explorer
My spare won't fit in the stock location,I am thinking of ways to use that space.I was thinking about mounting a 5gal. propane tank on a swing-out,next to the spare tire,but I think a propane tank mounted like you did may be a little safer in a collision.
If you get the chance I would like to see some pictures of your tanks.How did you mount/secure the tanks to the vehicle?
Thanks.

Unfortunately it is all tucked up there, so a photo won't show much. I can try to describe it in words - I added three steel L beams that span between the rear frame rails, on top of the rails. The propane tank has mounting tabs (it is supposed to mount to the underside of a VW westfalia) is mounted at the back, right behind the heavy steel bumper and bolted to the rearmost and middle L beams. The water tank sits on a 1/8" thick sheet of 6061 aluminium, which is suspended from the middle and front rails by the 4 corners using 12MM threaded rod. To fill the water tank I installed an marine fill port in the rear right quarter panel, and have an RV water pump also mounted up there to get the water out. I thought carefully about what would happen to the propane tank in an accident - it is about 8" behind my super heavy duty BIOR bumper to protect it in a rear end accident. It is also tucked up high enough that if I drop off a ledge, the bumper will hit first, not the tank. The whole contraption is tucked up slightly higher than the original spare tire.

ab1985

Explorer
Unfortunately it is all tucked up there, so a photo won't show much. I can try to describe it in words - I added three steel L beams that span between the rear frame rails, on top of the rails. The propane tank has mounting tabs (it is supposed to mount to the underside of a VW westfalia) is mounted at the back, right behind the heavy steel bumper and bolted to the rearmost and middle L beams. The water tank sits on a 1/8" thick sheet of 6061 aluminium, which is suspended from the middle and front rails by the 4 corners using 12MM threaded rod. To fill the water tank I installed an marine fill port in the rear right quarter panel, and have an RV water pump also mounted up there to get the water out. I thought carefully about what would happen to the propane tank in an accident - it is about 8" behind my super heavy duty BIOR bumper to protect it in a rear end accident. It is also tucked up high enough that if I drop off a ledge, the bumper will hit first, not the tank. The whole contraption is tucked up slightly higher than the original spare tire.
Did you modify or remove the spare tire mount/cross-member? I started to fit a water tank there, but that crossmember forced it to hang a little lower than I liked.

ab1985

Explorer
I cut out the spare tire cross member, no use for it any more.
Thanks, Rando. I hadn't given any thought to whether or not the crossmember served any purpose other than to carry the spare tire. I guess not, though. Good to know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles