Spacekap 8 ft + Silverado 2500

Kofi Levermann

Any links?

Also, the Sherpa has a dry weight of 1600 lbs. Unlike many manufacturers, that's probably pretty accurate, but you are going to be way over 1/2 ton GVWR loaded up. Add people, dogs, water, food, stuff, toys, etc... 2500+ lbs is more like it.

They are yet to present the prototype to the public, but it looks promising. Tufport makes some real good shells, but they haven't been any news for about a year now anyway ( compare https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/tufport-overlander.227945/ ).
I guess it's smarter to go with a converted united like the Sherpa.

rruff

Explorer
I saw that one, but it isn't bigger at all... it's based on one of their smaller shells... only 60" height.

The Maranda v365 (or 375 now: https://www.marandacap.com/v-375eng) looks like one of the better DIY starting points if you are taller. It's wide enough that one or two should be able sleep over the cab. That helps a lot for space utilization IMO.

The Sherpa definitely looks like a reasonable price for what you get, if the size works for you.

Last edited:

simple

Adventurer
Does anyone know how to move the bulk of the conversation in this thread to this one?
The original poster started this thread to discuss his specific build and business venture and I think it would be nice to clean it up.

aaldape

Observer
I figured I’d throw an update here, since I looked into these campers after selling my AT Habitat. I was looking into a slide in camper that wasn’t as big as the full-sizers, and this fit the bill.

I’ve jumped around trying many different camper setups, and we moved to the Sherpa from Le Petit for the Spacekap baseline and it’s all-weather robustness (hard/insulated walls, clean/functional interior layout, etc). I had personal plans to build out a modified Diablo myself, and when I saw the Le Petit design I immediately decided that was a much higher quality product than I could do with my time.

…And now I own the first official production Le Petit camper. Since it was the first production version, they worked out some improvements over their first design, and I think it turned out great.

The folks at Le Petit are excellent craftsmen. The camper body itself is durable and weatherproof to start, and the addition of the interior with features like good insulation, Maxx fan, solar, a folding bed, storage, fridge, and a clever layout really maximize the usability. There are also options for heating, more solar, cook stoves, etc, all with cleverly integrated design, if you so desire.

The Rolef screens are a great touch for privacy/access, and the Arctic Tern windows are a high quality touch (same for the roof hatch that I opted for as well).

Make sure you get the hitch step or have plans for entry if you have a taller truck! I had to get a small step stool to easily get into and out of the truck without a little climbing.

I’ll get pictures in the next week or so.

Larry-Cleveland

I just got my 8' SpaceKap two weeks ago. Us Spacekap owners need to all be in touch on our builds.

I like the Le Petit layout the best as it gives you the ability to get in and move about (a little) with the bed made up. Other layouts have no standing room when the bed is set up.

I will be needing some measurements if you would not mind. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles