Some RTT Questions

BigMF

The Hypervent looks cool, but at $10 per square foot, I'll be passing on that for now.

Actually, I believe the $10 is per linear foot and it's 39" wide. So, for a queen size mattress, you'd actually only need 10 feet for $100. Still not cheaper but less than the $160 that my tent vendor is charging for their "official" anti-cond. mat.

1606793386238.png

I've thought about just buying a bunch of loufahs... ?

1606793589507.png

BigMF

Actually, I believe the $10 is per linear foot and it's 39" wide. So, for a queen size mattress, you'd actually only need 10 feet for $100. Still not cheaper but less than the $160 that my tent vendor is charging for their "official" anti-cond. mat.

Obviously, I didn't read to the end of the thread before replying about the Hypervent versus the CVT mat cost because @plh beat me to it by about 2 months. :rolleyes:

Reactions: plh

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Late to the party but we had a Conqueror trailer, big (I think it was a Mombassa) tent with permanently attached annex. The screens for the annex zipped shut but not the bottom of the heavy canvas flaps. So always some air coming in at the bottom. Two medium triangle windows up top with one huge window.
I'd put the Buddy heater on a table downstairs in cold weather and open the two triangles about halfway. Created a bit of a chimney. At 15 degrees outside it was usually about 70 upstairs and 40 degrees downstairs with little to no condensation.
With other temps and situations, when/if condensation did happen and we were leaving before the sun could do its thing, I'd partially open the tent at home in the garage (ceiling prohibited full tent deployment) and blast it with fans for 3 days. Same for rainy last days. Never got any smelly growth.

The stock mattress was a lame foam thing covered in zebra-patterned cotton fabric. Got moist. I replaced it with a Cabella's queen sized foam/self-inflate hybrid thing that was covered in the traditional almost-textile plastic-ish stuff. 4" thick and absolutely luxurious. Never got damp too.

plh

Explorer
Late to the party but we had a Conqueror trailer, big (I think it was a Mombassa) tent with permanently attached annex. The screens for the annex zipped shut but not the bottom of the heavy canvas flaps. So always some air coming in at the bottom. Two medium triangle windows up top with one huge window.
I'd put the Buddy heater on a table downstairs in cold weather and open the two triangles about halfway. Created a bit of a chimney. At 15 degrees outside it was usually about 70 upstairs and 40 degrees downstairs with little to no condensation.
With other temps and situations, when/if condensation did happen and we were leaving before the sun could do its thing, I'd partially open the tent at home in the garage (ceiling prohibited full tent deployment) and blast it with fans for 3 days. Same for rainy last days. Never got any smelly growth.

The stock mattress was a lame foam thing covered in zebra-patterned cotton fabric. Got moist. I replaced it with a Cabella's queen sized foam/self-inflate hybrid thing that was covered in the traditional almost-textile plastic-ish stuff. 4" thick and absolutely luxurious. Never got damp too.

What was the floor material of the Mombassa? The RTT that I had was aluminum skinned something on the floor. Kind of a dumb idea to sleep on a heat sink. Ours got wet between the foam and the floor from respiration (people breathing). And yeah the foam mattress that came with it suked, way too compressive.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
What was the floor material of the Mombassa? ....
Rubberized canvas.

@chips95 had the same set-up and we camped next to each other once. A VERY severe thunderstorm blew through one night, 60-70 mph wind, frog-drowning rain, lightning.
I had the "big top" deployed, a huge tarp that was shaped to the tent. 8 poles with two guy lines each to secure it.
Kenny didn't put up his big top.
Next morning his tent floor was filled with 3" of rain water; it was that water-tight. The big top kept most of the rain out of my tent but it did get plenty soaked. Several days with fans to dry it out.

Walk-around of the tent on the day we brought it home:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior