***SOLD*** 2005 Unimog U500 - Very well equipped, low miles, very clean!

Jolly Roger

Adventurer
***SOLD*** It's with a heavy heart that I'm listing my beloved U500 for sale. I purchased the U500 last summer with plans to have a custom camper built for a multi-year trip around Central and South America. However, personal circumstances are dictating that we amend our travel plans, so we’re reluctantly putting the U500 up for sale.

The U500 is in exceptional condition and comes extremely well equipped. If you’re looking for a platform to build a spacious, comfortable and go-anywhere rig that you could live in for extended periods; the U500 is an ideal choice.

Aside from being a great choice for an overland rig, the U500 is also a mighty workhorse that can be utilized in an almost endless variety of tasks (snow plowing, hauling, farming, forestry, municipal, etc.).

This U500 has the full North American specifications and was originally registered in the USA. I imported it into Canada last summer and its currently registered, taxed and insured in British Columbia. Unlike most Unimogs, it is not subject to the archaic import rules that state a vehicle must be 25-years or older to be imported into the USA. Consequently, this Unimog can easily be reimported back into the USA.

This Unimog also has the much sought-after VarioPilot system, which allows you to position the steering wheel, instrument cluster and pedals on either the right or the left hand side of the vehicle. Consequently, you can travel anywhere in the world and easily (in 30 seconds) transform the vehicle from a left-hand drive to a right-hand drive. It also features the EAS system which allows you to drive the vehicle in manual or fully automatic mode.

Asking price is $108,000 CDN (negotiable). Part trades (plus cash) may be considered for smaller; overland capable vehicle.

The basic specifications together with some photos are listed below. If you require more detailed information on this vehicle, or would like to arrange a viewing, please PM me.

The U500’s are becoming increasingly rare, especially ones this well equipped with such miles. Don’t miss your opportunity to own one of these amazing and exciting vehicles!

- Year 2005
- Mileage: 26,000 miles (42,000 kms)
- Engine OM906LA
- 6 cylinder Mercedes-Benz 906 turbo-diesel engine
- Power output 260 hp, 700 ft.lbs torque
- Long 154" wheelbase
- 3-way tipper bed with hydraulic cylinder (front to back and side to side)
- 33'000 lbs GVW
- 24-forward, 22-reverse speeds (highway, working & crawler gears)
- Teligent Shifting, Electronic Pneumatic Shifting (EPS) with Electronic Quick Reverse
- EAS (electronic auto shift) allows for the transmission to be driven as an automatic or standard
- Vario-pilot (allows for left-handed or right-handed drivers position)
- Front live PTO (204 horsepower)
- Front & rear hydraulics
- Air conditioning
- Raised plow lights
- Trailer towing package
- Cold weather package (120v block heater, intake grid heater, Webasto diesel fired engine / cab heater)
- Heated windshield
- Heated mirrors
- Power mirrors
- Power windows
- Air conditioning
- Cruise Control
- Speed Limiter
- 2-stage engine brake
- Dual radiators
- Dual air tanks
- Air-suspended driver's seat with headrest
- Air-suspended passenger seat with headrest
- 395-85 R20 Michelin XZL tires, 70 mph rating
- Electronic Speed Limiter to 70 mph
- Front, rear and central differential locks
- Full time four-wheel drive
- 4 snow chains
- AM/FM CD
- Chrome vertical exhaust
- Front implement mounting plate
- Jump start studs
- Daytime running lights

IMG_0299-L.jpg

IMG_0300-L.jpg

IMG_0383-L.jpg

IMG_0397-L.jpg

IMG_0311-L.jpg

IMG_0333-L.jpg

IMG_0338-L.jpg

IMG_0339-L.jpg

IMG_0390-L.jpg

IMG_0343-L.jpg

Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
Exceptional condition is right! I've seen dealer demo models with more wear and tear than this vehicle appears to have. If you have documents that show the truck was originally built to USA specs, the new owner should have no problem bringing the truck back to USA.

Good luck with the sale. Let's hope it goes to an ExPo member who will use it as you originally planned.

Jolly Roger

Adventurer
Yes, the U500 is very clean and in extremely good shape. It was built to US / Canadian specs and has all of the necessary stickers in place on the vehicle. I also have a letter from the manger of Unimog North America, confirming that there are no outstanding recalls on the vehicle and that "This vehicle was manufactured specifically for the US and Canadian markets meeting all specifications". It's fully compliant and would not pose any problems importing it back into the USA.

I too hope it goes to a fellow ExPo member who will be able to utilize all of the amazing features of this vehicle. It really is a marvel of engineering.

mogwildRW1

Adventurer
I know personally Simon looked at several candidates before settling on this unit, this is the cleanest of the clean, an excellent truck. Sorry to see you have to sell it, it will make an excellent Expo or working truck for someone.

AMBOT

Adventurer
How would you think someone who is 6'6" tall would fit in the cab of this unimog? Is the seat adjustable? Does the steering wheel tilt? I tried to find interior dimensions to no avail.

Jolly Roger

Adventurer
How would you think someone who is 6'6" tall would fit in the cab of this unimog? Is the seat adjustable? Does the steering wheel tilt? I tried to find interior dimensions to no avail.

Well, I'm only 5' 10" and my partner is only 4'11" so neither of us have had an issue with the interior hight. :)

I'll be taking the truck out for a run either today or tomorrow and will take some measurements of the inside of the cab. If there are any specific measurements you'd like, let me know.

Both the driver's and passenger's seat are air suspended with automatic weight adjustment from 110 lbs to 330 lbs. Both seats have the following adjustment options:

- Adjust seat location (fore and aft)
- Adjust seat cushion angle
- Adjust seat vertical height
- Adjust backrest position
- Adjust headrest
- Boarding aid switch that provides rapid vertical adjustment when entering or exiting the vehicle.

IMG_0354-L.jpg

I don't think the steering wheel has any adjustment options . . . other than the unique ability to slide it over to the right hand side of the vehicle and drive from that side.

variopilot-715x230.jpg

AMBOT

Adventurer
Thanks for your consideration.

I would be interested in the height and legroom dimensions as depicted below with the seat in its lowest position and farthest back. I would also be curious as to the distance between the back of the seat and the first impediment of the dash board for any knee contact.

Lastly, based on how the seat is mounted to the floor and the clearance behind the seat, if in your opinion there would be any way to move the seat back any further if needed.

Thanks very much for your consideration!

legroom-measure-car-front.jpg

Attachments

• how-to-measure-legroom-in-cars.jpg
    how-to-measure-legroom-in-cars.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 5,803

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Mooka, I share your needs for vehicles that fit talls. I like how Hilldweller puts it: "the Conspiracy against the Tall!"
I hope for your sake that something like this Mog works out for you!

Jolly Roger

Adventurer
Sorry for taking so long to get back to you with the info . . . its been a busy weekend. I've reposted your diagram with the measurements from the U500 superimposed. The measurements were taken from the seat position you requested (seat in lowest position, and pushed as far back as it will go).

1. Height from floor to roof - 57"
2. Height from highest point of seat cushion (front of seat) to roof - 41"
3. Height from lowest point of seat cushion (back of seat) to roof - 44"
4. Length measured from midpoint of seat (where bottom of seat meets backrest) to floor under the accelerator - 41"
5. Height from floor to bottom of steering wheel - 25"

If I sit in the position as described above (seat pushed back as far as it will go) and extend my legs fully in front of me, they just dangle in space without touching anything in front of them. I've driven a few different vehicles in my time and have never had this amount of space or legroom in any other vehicle. I've attached a couple more photos showing the seating area. You may be able to reposition the track that the seat is attached to, which would net you a potential 1" - 2" of room. However, I'm not sure it would be a good idea to mess with the system that keeps the seat bolted firmly in place. If you have any other questions please let me know.

Leg-Room.jpg

IMG_0449.JPG

IMG_0447.JPG

IMG_0450.JPG

IMG_0453.JPG

IMG_0448.JPG

Last edited:

Jolly Roger

Adventurer
Nice truck!

This seems like a bit of wishful thinking though...

View attachment 154260

:D

Well, these vehicles are obviously not designed to keep pace with a Bugatti Veyron hurtling around the Nurburgring at 260mph. However, they will do 70mph all day long on the highway which is pretty darn good for a vehicle of this type and size. Driving the U500 may take you longer to get to your destination than if you were driving a Veyron. On the flip-side, try driving a Veyron through two feet of mud and water while carrying thousands of KGs worth of camper, fuel, water, supplies, etc. It ain't gonna happen! At the end of the day it all boils down to horses for courses. :)

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Can anyone easily comment on what's involved in derating this truck to 26K pound GVWR so as to avoid the need for a CDL?

aires35

Adventurer
It is my understanding that if you are using this for personal use, you do not need one. I do the IT work for a group of dealerships in Houston, TX and we have an RV division. I asked the sales manager what type of license you needed if you bought one of their $650,000.00 tandem axled diesel pushers, and he said standard license if for personal use.

AMBOT

Adventurer
Mooka, I share your needs for vehicles that fit talls. I like how Hilldweller puts it: "the Conspiracy against the Tall!"
I hope for your sake that something like this Mog works out for you!

Yeah and I'm left handed also. It's making it very difficult to find something used that would accommodate. All these used earthroamers coming up for sale and their cabin is 6'3". I know one is not standing all day in a camper but I think I would get cabin fever if there was not some headroom clearance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior