*Sold!* 1999 Land Rover Discovery 2, with RTT, $3.5K, Oakland, CA

BigBwana

Hi Folks!

Happy 2022! It's time for my 1999 Disco 2 with 147K miles to find a new owner. I bought just before Thanksgiving of 2018 and then after checking fluids, etc took it on a 4-day hot spring hopping trip in Death Valley, including Saline Hot Springs where we exited north on Steele Pass. Since then it has shared daily driving duties with (*ahem*) a couple other cars as well as taken me without drama on several more desert and off road trips. It has even towed my SIII on a trailer a couple times to NV (albeit slowly). I am selling because I "upgraded" to an '07 RR and the Disco is too good to be relegated to spare duty for visiting friends. I am located in Oakland, CA and am asking $3500 OBO for the car, racks, and tent or $3000 for just the car. I'd prefer to sell as a package first.

Pics and videos available here:

Work done, within the last year/1000 miles (all worked performed by me)
Installed two (2) CARB-legal catalytic converters (Jan, 2021) to replace stolen units (successful smog test results with new cats will be provided).
Five (5) used 16" Discovery 2 wheels with new Yokohama Geolandar A/T tires in 255/70/R16 size (The five (5) RR 19's it came with are available but the Duratrac tires are worn and out of balance). Tires have less than 1000 miles on them.
Replaced front wheel bearings
Replaced all 4 rotors and pads
Option B wiring bypass installed
Oil and filter change, 20w50 Castrol.
Air filter replacement.

I have never overheated the car (and there have been some hot trips in the desert) and I use a Smart Gauge to monitor various temps while driving. I have never had to stop to cool down. When I bought the car it already had front and rear bumper damage (see pics) and the right front inner fender was and still is held partially on with zip ties. The only time the inner fender needed attention was after crossing the Carson River. Speaking of the Carson River, water did get into the driver and rear passenger wheel wells while crossing but I dried everything out thoroughly after the trip with a powered dehumidifier (this was back in 2019). I did have to replace the stereo amp under the driver seat. The right rear quarter window and outside lip on the front sun roof has silicone sealant around the edge done by a previous owner and I have never experienced leaks from either. The rear door and upper lip also have sealant and there is a wide rubber strip glued to act as a drip rail above the door. I planned to change the water pump as it's a bit squeaky but it doesn't leak and I don't loose coolant. The new water pump will be included.

Known issues:
Front and rear bumper damage
Faded hood and roof paint
Colorado pinstripes
Sealant on front sun roof, right rear quarter panel, and rear door
Rear door alignment is off. It still closes and latches fine but a firm slam is suggested
Replaced rear speakers (it came to me broken)
Ashtray trim missing
Driver seat heater inoperable (passenger seat heater works but certainly not as good as the ones in the 07 RR).
Shifter knob with the shift release button is slightly loose and sometimes if the knob rotates just right the shifter lock doesn't release and you have to realign the knob. I did this once in the drive-thru at McD's and it didn't take long to figure out.
This truck did come with a CDL but no linkage. I've tested it works in the shop by actuating the lock with a wrench but it was too hot to do it on Steele Pass (and I didn't need it anyway)
Front and rear window heaters have some dead wires
Cruise control not operative
SRS warning light went on last year (2021)
Stock bottle jack is missing

Other items
I replaced the front and rear wiper arms with D1 units so that blades can be found at most auto parts stores.
A/C works great
Heater works great (no leaks from core)
4wd low works great
No 3 amigos warning lights as I did the Option B wiring update when Moe, Larry, and Curly showed up last year. ABS and Hill Descent Control work as expected.
Power seats work
Rear seat has a stuck seatbelt-it's jammed in the retracted position. Rear seat trim has been removed but I'll put that back before sale.
CD changer very rarely fails to recognize a disc but after removing and reinstalling the CD case the problem has always gone away.
The snorkel was installed by the previous owner and is sealed with silicone sealant.
Headliner at the windshield in front of the driver is held up with neat little push-pins.
Spare tire is held on with actual lugnuts instead of the stock ones (which can't be used on the road wheels)
The car didn't come with a key fob but two keys will be included
Trailer light wiring plug has been added
Replaced both driver and passenger front window regulators
Rear 12V socket operational
Cargo cover included
I believe the rest of the car is stock, aside from the wheels.

RTT
I bought the tent and truck together and I do not know what brand it is. The sides do zip in and out for quick replacement and there is a small 1" area were the zipper stitching has come apart. There are no other tears or rips in the canvas or screens. The tent came with a 3" foam mattress which I used for about a year and then I added an IKEA mattress topper (2"?) and the sleep I get is sublime. I keep my pillows and bedding inside the tent while the ladder travels inside the car. The tent was originally mounted with two Thule bars and I added a third in the middle for extra support. The Thule feet do not have lock cores. I've used the tent in temps below freezing as well as during the summer (nights) in the desert. If you're ever in the former I'd recommend having an electric blanket and Hypothermia Buddy.

Please let me know if you have any questions-email to jeffreydli@hotmail.com is preferred as I do not always receive notifications from this board. I am usually available during the day to show the car.

Thanks,
Jeffrey

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior