SoCal Tear Drop Owners! Post up!

No Ma

Wonderer
Line-X costs?

So, if you don't mind.... what was your ballpark cost for having the front of the trailer (inside the cage), Line-X'd?

Keith Starr

Inmate #2558516
So, if you don't mind.... what was your ballpark cost for having the front of the trailer (inside the cage), Line-X'd?

If I recall it was around $160. Apparently that was a pretty good deal. The guy who sprayed it said his receptionist quoted me less than she should have, she didn't take into account the aluminum skin which "required a lot more prep than usual to ensure the Line-X adhered properly."

No Ma

Wonderer
Thanks. Not cheap, but it's a long term investment, so really not too bad. I think I'll do that off-season. We've used the trailer more than I expected since we got it and the cage is indispensable. Would be nice to not see scrapes and scratches in the aluminum over time.

Keith Starr

Inmate #2558516
What is causing the scrapes and scratches on the powercoating?

Powdercoating? No Ma is talking about the aluminum exterior on the front of the trailer. The rear of the expanded metal cage isn't enclosed so anything you store in it has the potential to scrape/scratch the front of the trailer.

510xs.jpg

RoverGS

So after way too many months without getting my (new in March 17) 510, I finally got to use it! What a cool rig! I really enjoy it. I'm really hoping work tapers off soon so I can use it more often. I'm even considering taking it on the road with me as I currently travel throughout the US on work assignments. Anyway, the one thing that I'm looking for thoughts and/or suggestions on is the mattress. Have any of you supplemented the mattress any for a little more comfort? It's by no means terrible, but it could be a little less hard. Or, will it soften somewhat with time? I was considering adding foam underneath for a little more give. I'd appreciate any feedback or suggestions. Thanks.

RoverGS

Thanks for the suggestions. Any particular Costco one? I looked and there are many to choose from. Are you guys using these as replacements or adding them to the SoCal mattress?

cactusjk

Explorer
I have electric brakes on my 4.5 x 9 Kascade and that is not a problem with my GX 470 which has a Tekonsha P3 installed. My 2007 FJC is a harder problem. Any problem just not using the brakes with the FJ if just doing road cruising?

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions. Any particular Costco one? I looked and there are many to choose from. Are you guys using these as replacements or adding them to the SoCal mattress?

I've added a 3" topper to the mattress from Treeline. I use a "full", but I have a 4.5x9 body. You'll need a different size for a 5x10.

I have electric brakes on my 4.5 x 9 Kascade and that is not a problem with my GX 470 which has a Tekonsha P3 installed. My 2007 FJC is a harder problem. Any problem just not using the brakes with the FJ if just doing road cruising?

I wouldn't want to pull my 459 krawler with my JK without trailer brakes. The Kascade/FJ is about the same size as my Krawler/JK. It does not cost much to install a brake controller.

Does the GX470 use the same tires/rims as a FJC? What will you be using as a spare tire if you change tow vehicles?

Last edited:

cactusjk

Explorer
I have a spare on the trailer mounted under so I am not dependent on vehicle wheels.

Recommendations on where to get the FJ brake installed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dotar

REDARC makes a brake controller that mounts behind the dash with only a knob protruding from a blank switch plate. Works well but a little bit expensive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles