soaking in Saline Valley

Green Ganesha

Adventurer
kellymoe said:
Any changes at the springs? Lee doing well? I miss that place. I need to make more of an effort to get out there. From 1986-2000 I went out at least 4 times a year. Since 2000 I have made it out 1 time a year maybe twice. It's a special place, people either get it or they dont.

Kevin, probably no changes since your last visit. We ran into some great folks. Source temperatures and flow were typical. Lee was his usual sullen self. I thought about you on the way out North Pass, and all the forgotten trails you've explored in that area. The portion of Saline Valley Rd. south from Warm Springs Rd. to the mouth of Grapevine Canyon is in the most trashed condition I've ever seen: landslides covering most of the roadbed in sections, rocks across the entire width, lots of washouts. It's a low-speed slog. (The big boulder that was blocking the road has been pulled aside though.)

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Green Ganesha said:
Kevin, probably no changes since your last visit. We ran into some great folks. Source temperatures and flow were typical. Lee was his usual sullen self. I thought about you on the way out North Pass, and all the forgotten trails you've explored in that area. The portion of Saline Valley Rd. south from Warm Springs Rd. to the mouth of Grapevine Canyon is in the most trashed condition I've ever seen: landslides covering most of the roadbed in sections, rocks across the entire width, lots of washouts. It's a low-speed slog. (The big boulder that was blocking the road has been pulled aside though.)

Sorry...we exited SV to the South a couple months ago and quite "dug" the road of lesser condition. True you couldn't make fast time on it but the road washouts, etc. kept trail traffic from the South Pass area to almost nil and a bit more interesting than in the past.

We were actually astonished how much water had come down onto not only that part of DV but also the lower Racetrack road heading to Ubehebe. And one thinks of this place as an extreme desert!

Chris

Adventurer
Great post, thanks.

Although not absolute looks like we will be spending Turkey week there, Thanksgiving dinner in DV. oh my! and as of now its going to be solo.. :(

anyone else going? :)

thanks again.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Chris said:
Great post, thanks.

Although not absolute looks like we will be spending Turkey week there, Thanksgiving dinner in DV. oh my! and as of now its going to be solo.. :(

anyone else going? :)

thanks again.

Not me...but you won't be alone at SV hot springs on T-day.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Love it Linda, thanks for the temptation.

I've been giving serious consideration to visiting Saline Valley the week after Thanksgiving. Your pics and write-up are a great inspiration to see what's out there.

Much obliged - :beer:

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
kcowyo said:
Love it Linda, thanks for the temptation.

I've been giving serious consideration to visiting Saline Valley the week after Thanksgiving. Your pics and write-up are a great inspiration to see what's out there.

Much obliged - :beer:

You go, I'll go.

Saline

Adventurer
Forgot to add that I had a 5 gallon jerry can go AWOL near Lipincott on the 2nd. Damn thing rattled right out of my ORU mount! Saline Valley road has a way of working loose just about anything!:box:

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Saline said:
Forgot to add that I had a 5 gallon jerry can go AWOL near Lipincott on the 2nd. Damn thing rattled right out of my ORU mount! Saline Valley road has a way of working loose just about anything!:box:

Its the Death Valley curse I tell ya! The washboard is the worst I've driven. They say Aussie land is as bad or worse over vastly great distances too! Hard to imagine!

suntinez said:
yummycolor.jpg
Oh... my... GAWD.

Green Ganesha

Adventurer
Purple People Eater said:
Oh... my... GAWD.

And make no mistake: for as incredible as they looked, they tasted even better! Savory sweet contrasts, succulent, with an amazing sauce, all lightly seared to perfection!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior