SnowTaco - 2016 Tacoma Build / Travel Thread

whwv

Observer
Installed ARB Awning and Yakima Roof Rack

To get ready for an upcoming 10 day road trip, I finally bit the bullet and bought an ARB awning. I had been looking at them for a long time, but was trying to avoid hanging anything outside the truck. Ghetto awnings weren't working well so I bought the awning and a Yakima rack to mount it. I did this all last minute, and the only place I could get the awning in time was from Four Wheel Parts. They were awesome. It wasn't in stock at any close FWP stores, but I called the closest one at 11am and they had it shipped from the warehouse in LA and it arrived for pickup the next day by 1pm. Can't beat that.

I mounted the Yakima rack to the tracks I had installed on the truck cap when I bought it. I went with the round bars because I figured it would be easier to mount the awning compared to the tear drop shaped aero type bars. Per the Yakima rack guide, I needed a set of bars, skyline tower, and landing pad 1. I bought the bars at the local REI, but they didn't have the other parts I needed so I ordered off Amazon. Unfortunately, I only ordered one pair of the landing pads when I needed two. Secondly, the rack guide doesn't tell you that you need an adapter to run the round bars on the skyline tower. As I mentioned before, the local REI didn't have the landing pad nor did six other shops I called. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I am mounting this thing the night before I leave. I get lucky, and the REI in Berkeley has everything I need. So after a nice long drive to Berkeley and back, I get the Yakima rack mounted.

Step 2 - Mount the awning.
I wanted to buy the ARB awning mounts, but I couldn't get a set in time. To mount, I read on ExPo that a guy used conduit hangers and 3" L brackets. I went to Lowes and bought eight U bolts and four 3" L brackets. I also bought a couple of additional hex bolts to mount the awning to the L brackets as ARB only provided 6. ARB required 4 bolts to secure the awning and with my setup I had 8.

awning_1.jpg

awning_2.jpg

awning_3.jpg

awning_4.jpg

whwv

Observer
Love the truck! Any pics with the awning deployed?

Was out on a 10 day road trip. Here it is in action:

IMG_2200.jpg

I'm glad I got the awning as I used it several times a day. Mounting held up just fine from 80 MPH on the freeway with crosswind gusts to bone shaking forest service roads.

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
Nice truck,

Have you been experiencing any issues with the auto transmission?

and how does shifting when you put it S or M mode? Is it similar to manual shifting driving?

whwv

Observer
Thanks! It took a bit for the transmission to learn (or perhaps for me to learn the transmission). For the first 5,000 miles, it would search for gears a bit, but now it drives normal. When it's in S mode, you have control over the maximum gear it goes into. I just came back from a 2500 miles trip through CA, UT, and CO and I did use the S mode a couple times. It came in handy for areas like Vail Pass (10,662') where the truck wants to keep picking too low of a gear. With the new V6, the it feels like the power really starts to come on around 3600 RPM.

whwv

Observer
2016 Travel updates - Thanksgiving at Lassen and December in Sedona

Finally getting a chance to update the build / travel thread. I've taken the truck on many many trips so I won't even try to post all the adventures, just some of the highlights.

As Thanksgiving approached, we were served a nice large powder dump. So instead of doing the family thing we loaded up the truck and headed out to the Lassen back country. Thanksgiving dinner was eaten in the cab of the truck, but the turns were so worth it. Definitely one of my favorite Thanksgivings!

Those are our turns coming down the mountain:
IMG_2403.jpg

Thanksgiving kitchen (and sleeping quarters...)
IMG_2409.jpg

Thanksgiving dinner in the front seat!
IMG_2408.JPG

In late December another big storm rolled through so I packed my skis but instead of snow all it did was rain. So, I replaced the skis with bikes and headed to Arizona for week. Rode the trails in Sedona (including Hiline and Hangover) and rode around the rim of the Grand Canyon since I was in the neighborhood.

One of many trails in Sedona
IMG_2418.jpg

Look at that sweet decent!
IMG_2450.JPG

Stopping for a view into the Grand Canyon
IMG_2464.jpg

One of the dispersed camping areas
IMG_2446.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member