Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

ebrabaek

Adventurer
speak of the electric system. After viewing all of your great ideas and pictures on this thread, I did see that most of you are not running a relay system to power the accessories. Is the control panel you are using rated to handle the load? IMHO I guess for a few small LEDs, it should be ok/ But do you use a relay for an invertor or a large load unit, e.g. electric blanket?

Not needed IMHO. If you get over 10 amps then perhaps. I personally run each circuit under 5 amps. The biggest hog is my floods at 27 watts or about 2 amps. The switches on my marine panel are rated at 20 amps each.

OregonJKU

Second time out. This time up at Lake Irwin, CO @ 10200 feet. Day temps was around 75 deg, and night time in the mid 40's. I was a bit nervous wrt the size of my solar panel, and small main battery.
https://products.interstatebatteries.com/Product/Details/12691
and
https://www.amazon.com/ACOPOWER-HY-4x12-5W18V-Foldable-Suitcase-50W/dp/B06WWQHV2T?ref=ast_p_ep
and
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075NTT8GH/ref=twister_B076K4CD9J?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

My concern was that the overnight power consumption of my Engel 40 qt fridge, would drain the small battery all the way down. Another concern was that the battery would hold, but the solar panel would not yield enough to bring it back up as it takes a bit longer for a deep cycle AGM battery to fully charge. The key was the Vitron solar controller, that allows for customization of the battery parameter. After two nights I am happy to say that it worked awesome. The first morning the battery had gone to 12.9 volt, and the second day 12.8. The solar panel was engaged as the sun came up and had recovered the battery about lunch time. The Vitron would go into float mode about then, but before would cycle between bulk and absorbsion. You can follow this on your phone via Bluetooth. It was then a matter of just hanging the panel in different places to maximize the solar efficiency.

View attachment 457811
View attachment 457812
Hi ebrabaek, we had similar concerns with our fridge but we were pleasantly surprised at how well our solar panels recharged the battery. We are now looking into better way to prop up and position the panels, maybe using a tripod.

Anvoy

If that is the case, then I would re check the suspension on that side. There should be enough adj. To bring in the chamber, but off course it is possible to have something misaligned from the factory.
Electrically, there are many different opinions. One is that if the battery is fully charged it will not acquire any current. Personally that is along my view as well. However speaking with battery experts they seems to agree that particularly with smaller batteries it should have a charge controller on it. Just like the tiny stock battery does. I have mine charged by the tow vehicle. I have not had any problems.
Thank you again, you are a knowledgeable person. I will re-check the suspension on that side. The electrical system is my priority now, lol. Do you use any battery charger or you just directly wired them?

OregonJKU

Hi all, for those of you that installed a hot water system, e.g. Ecotemp, etc, how do you like them? Are they performing the way you expected? Do you use them to take hot showers? Latter this summer we are planning longer trips, and being able to take showers would be nice.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Hi ebrabaek, we had similar concerns with our fridge but we were pleasantly surprised at how well our solar panels recharged the battery. We are now looking into better way to prop up and position the panels, maybe using a tripod.

Amazing how well it works right... :) I like the foldable unit that I use, as it will fit in the front box, and then fold out and can be hung via straps. Bought a 20 foot extension with MC4 plugs on it. Rolling. :)

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Thank you again, you are a knowledgeable person. I will re-check the suspension on that side. The electrical system is my priority now, lol. Do you use any battery charger or you just directly wired them?

I direct wired the battery o the charge line from the tow vehicle. For 115 volt, I use the Noco Genius 10A shore power. Solar is controlled by the Vitron 10A Bluetooth charger. I used one switch on the panel to connect the charge line from the tow vehicle. This way I can select if I want a charge to be applied, while towing. :)

Anvoy

I direct wired the battery o the charge line from the tow vehicle. For 115 volt, I use the Noco Genius 10A shore power. Solar is controlled by the Vitron 10A Bluetooth charger. I used one switch on the panel to connect the charge line from the tow vehicle. This way I can select if I want a charge to be applied, while towing. :)
Thank you. I brought some ingredients from amazon. I have a big picture in my head now. Just needs to execute it. Thanks again for help

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Another thing worth mentioning, regarding the Vitron Solar controller, is its ability to supplement your overall electrical control system. F.ex. my Engel cooler does not have a battery protection circuit. So that unit will continue to kill the battery if given the chance. It does not mention this in the Vitron manual, but I thought I'd check to see if the load output on the controller is active, even is no solar panel is connected. It just happens to be. I guess it really IS smart... :) With that being the case, I rewired the engel fridge circuit off the battery, and simply connected it to the load output on the Vitron. Now you can observe up to 6 different environments that precludes battery disconnection. On top of that the phone app will show the current draw ( and history of such) of the load output. This might not be of interest to everyone, but I found it very informative, as it shows all kind of stats over the past 24 hrd, like total wattage in, max volts, etc... etc. This is very helpful in determining system capacity, vs. draw.
A very neat little blue box indeed.
Happy fourth of July everyone..... :)

john61ct

Adventurer
It does not mention this in the Vitron manual, but I thought I'd check to see if the load output on the controller is active, even is no solar panel is connected.
Same is true for all load terminals everywhere.

An LVD that only worked protecting your bank during certain hours would be worse than useless.

That functionality is **exactly** the same as a generic LVD located anywhere between the battery bank and load device(s).

Fact that the setpoint is adjustable is nice but nothing special.

But the tiny current limit is a PITA, IMO should be same rating as charge output.

But fact is, has nothing to do with the panel/SC functionality, just a separate tacked on feature included for free, so can't really complain I s'pose

5thGenRunner

So did anyone have issues with those damn Deutsch Connections wiring up the breakaway? What a royal pain!!! I don’t have the crimping tool for them and they’re so tiny and brittle. I had to walk away. Tomorrow thinking of just cutting them off and just using butt connectors and then just electrical tape them. Any reason not to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ebrabaek

Adventurer
So did anyone have issues with those damn Deutsch Connections wiring up the breakaway? What a royal pain!!! I don’t have the crimping tool for them and they’re so tiny and brittle. I had to walk away. Tomorrow thinking of just cutting them off and just using butt connectors and then just electrical tape them. Any reason not to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I soldered mine.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Same is true for all load terminals everywhere.

An LVD that only worked protecting your bank during certain hours would be worse than useless.

That functionality is **exactly** the same as a generic LVD located anywhere between the battery bank and load device(s).

Fact that the setpoint is adjustable is nice but nothing special.

But the tiny current limit is a PITA, IMO should be same rating as charge output.

But fact is, has nothing to do with the panel/SC functionality, just a separate tacked on feature included for free, so can't really complain I s'pose

The load output on the Vitron 75/10 is not current restricted. It even have a safety disconnect of 15 Amps. I think it is special, to be able to adjust algorithms for the load. It is a feature that of course found on bigger systems, but not as often on small units. I sure like it. Along with adjustable charge algorithms.

john61ct

Adventurer
The load output on the Vitron 75/10 is not current restricted. It even have a safety disconnect of 15 Amps.
Yes it is current restricted.

As you say, that limit is 15A.

And even a small device say 10A may not work if it requires a lot more at startup.

Which is very common.

john61ct

Adventurer
I think it is special, to be able to adjust algorithms for the load.
Have no idea what you mean by that.

Yes Victrons are great.

Just saying wrt the load output, you must be aware of the limitations.

If you need finer setpoint adjustability or greater ampacity then using generic LVDs give a lot more flexibility.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior