Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

fd6axc4

Another question I had about this trailer is how it tows behind a JLUR Wrangler. The Scout is twice as heavy as a m101/m416 and weight is a concern. People say you don't even know you're towing an m101/m416. Is it the same experience with the Scout?

I've never towed anything in my life, so I didn't want to get anything large to start off with. I like the setup of the Scout, but the size and weight is something on my mind.

mmrocek

Observer
Another question I had about this trailer is how it tows behind a JLUR Wrangler. The Scout is twice as heavy as a m101/m416 and weight is a concern. People say you don't even know you're towing an m101/m416. Is it the same experience with the Scout?

I've never towed anything in my life, so I didn't want to get anything large to start off with. I like the setup of the Scout, but the size and weight is something on my mind.

Here is my experience towing this trailer on my 2016 JKUR on 37's and 5.38 gears. Do I notice it? yes, I set my rear shocks to firm when towing it on the freeway due to the extra tongue weight. Is it bad? No at all, I tow the trailer a lot between Phoenix and Flagstaff which has a difference of elevation of about 6000ft with a nice big dip in the middle at Verde Valley. The trailer weight, even fully loaded, has not been an issue and it tracks well even at 80-85mph. Offroad, on washboards here in AZ, I deflate the tires a bit on the trailer and it does well, same with the beach. I do not even have the brakes in the trailer connected as I did not get the chance to install a 7 pin wiring in my jeep yet. Instead I have the adapter from 4 to 7 pin. I never had any issues controlling the trailer with my stock JKUR brakes on even steep downhills. I might do the wiring eventually but it is not on the top of my list right now. As for you, it should be even easier as you have more gears in your tranny. Just make sure if you have larger tires that you are properly geared, as you can see I'm geared pretty low (and loving it.) I hope this helps.

fd6axc4

Here is my experience towing this trailer on my 2016 JKUR on 37's and 5.38 gears. Do I notice it? yes, I set my rear shocks to firm when towing it on the freeway due to the extra tongue weight. Is it bad? No at all, I tow the trailer a lot between Phoenix and Flagstaff which has a difference of elevation of about 6000ft with a nice big dip in the middle at Verde Valley. The trailer weight, even fully loaded, has not been an issue and it tracks well even at 80-85mph. Offroad, on washboards here in AZ, I deflate the tires a bit on the trailer and it does well, same with the beach. I do not even have the brakes in the trailer connected as I did not get the chance to install a 7 pin wiring in my jeep yet. Instead I have the adapter from 4 to 7 pin. I never had any issues controlling the trailer with my stock JKUR brakes on even steep downhills. I might do the wiring eventually but it is not on the top of my list right now. As for you, it should be even easier as you have more gears in your tranny. Just make sure if you have larger tires that you are properly geared, as you can see I'm geared pretty low (and loving it.) I hope this helps.

Thanks for the feedback. I have the stock KO2's, which are about 33", and the default ratio of 4.10. I've never towed anything, so it's something that I don't want to get anything that I wouldn't be able to handle. It sounds like the Jeep can handle it, but that you will know that it's back there.

Thanks for the information on this. I love the trailer and how it's laid out. I'm still on the fence about it with the quality and weight.

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
I tow with an xterra ‘11 on 33’s. I have had to beef my rear springs secondary to the tongue weight and I can’t get to sixth gear but it toes well other than that. Diffs are 3.69 if I went 4.10’ I’m sure I wouldn’t have any issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

fd6axc4

I tow with an xterra ‘11 on 33’s. I have had to beef my rear springs secondary to the tongue weight and I can’t get to sixth gear but it toes well other than that. Diffs are 3.69 if I went 4.10’ I’m sure I wouldn’t have any issues

Tongue weight is on my mind too. I'm thinking that I can either get rid of the spare and just use the Jeep spare or get a bumper tire carrier and mount it on the rear. I want to say the tongue weight on the jeep is 350lbs. As mentioned, I have no experience with towing, but I do know that just because it says 350lbs doesn't mean you should get close to 350lbs!

I still like the Scout, but the m-series trailers are much lighter. I just wonder once you start building the m-series trailers up, how much of a difference will it be between that and a scout.

bshinn

Not a Scout, but 2800#’s as it sits here and no issue towing it with my 3.8 JKU, you just had to be patient. A JLU should have no issues towing a loaded Scout, heavier springs or airbags might help, but I doubt they will be necessary.

Ditched the 3.8/6-speed for a 6.0LS/6L80E combo and 13” rotors/2 piston calipers and NO issues now.:p

Attachments

• DB475076-3232-48C2-9C39-CEC43824C756.jpeg
    DB475076-3232-48C2-9C39-CEC43824C756.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 84

Catalanbull

Before I upgraded tires and suspension my 2014 JKUR used to sag a bit when towing it. I put airbags and they really helped. Now with the teraflex falcon suspension you don't even know it's there unless you're going uphill. But you'll get that with any trailer. The rear bumper & tire carrier will reduce the tongue weight for about $500. Lots of benefits to it.

mmrocek

Observer
Before I upgraded tires and suspension my 2014 JKUR used to sag a bit when towing it. I put airbags and they really helped. Now with the teraflex falcon suspension you don't even know it's there unless you're going uphill. But you'll get that with any trailer. The rear bumper & tire carrier will reduce the tongue weight for about $500. Lots of benefits to it.

I should add that I have the 3.5 inch MetalCloak game changer lift on mine with the falcon adjustable shocks. The sag is minimal when hooked up and the shocks do great in the firm setting. I also do not have a rear swaybar anymore.

robepa

Hello everyone, long time reader first time poster. I have decided to pull the trigger on a Scout that I will be pulling behind my 2021 Bronco 4 door. Prior to placing my order for the Scout I am trying to determine how I want to handle the spare tire. I really would like to get rid of the spare on the Scout or at least get it moved to a swing out tire carrier. I am leaning on getting rid of it all together and just relying on the spare on the Bronco. Trouble is the Bronc has a 6x5.5 bolt pattern and the Scout has 5x5. My thought is to just keep one of these wheel adapters in the trailer and in the event of a blow out add the adapter and mount the spare. I am a bit worried about fitment though, particularly the length of the bolts on the Scout's hub protruding outside of the inner half of the hub preventing the outer half from bolting on. Have any of you installed a 6x5.5 hub and did you have to shave down the existing lug bolts?

I have been used the adapter and it has worked fine. I also have a Bronco on order and lucky me the Bronco and Tacoma bolt patterns are the same. I also have a swing out tire carrier on order. He is making mine just wide enough to clear the rear door as opposed to the full width shown.

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
I was curious on your thoughts about the Joolca HOTTAP. I'm considering it as an option for mine... I hate the price, but I like how simple the set up is as I don't really want to buy and piece together all these parts on a different brand model.

Careful not to derail thread to far from the smitty lol

I’m waffling myself. Ultimately I’m saying no to having the mud puddle next to my camp. I have a zodi and walk it out to where it’s nice and do it that way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CRYA

Hi all, picking up a new to me Scout tomorrow and am wondering, does anyone know of or can show any examples of solar mounted for charging while running? The issue is pulling into camp in evenings, then getting up and running the next morning without having time to actually charge stationary. This is for keeping a fridge going on a multi-day run. With an RTT, I'm guessing I'm outta luck or need to mount the solar to the vehicle roof and run a cable back to the trailer battery. Appreciate any ideas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles