Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

thardin68

Just take a trip to a more lenient state.

VT I think allows confessed flatlanders to title / register?
Took a look at VT. Their Registration, Tax and Title application specifically identifies the VIN verification process. Hard to do without a VIN.....

If you ask for a MCO which is what you need to register in most states, they will send you one. Just give them the serial # and mfg date of your trailer.

john61ct

Adventurer
Also note even if VT requires an inspection, they send out the registration and plates first, and NP failing to get the inspection done, as long as you're not actually driving there.

Heard of people doing the whole process by mail, never setting foot there.

Also lots of CT trailer owners register in Maine, must be a reason.

thardin68

If you ask for a MCO which is what you need to register in most states, they will send you one. Just give them the serial # and mfg date of your trailer.
Thanks, I'll look into that. Unfortunately, after reviewing with the head guy at DMV inspections, it sounds like I really need a VIN# to avoid a TON of obnoxious bureaucratic nonsense in CT. INSANE amounts of paperwork, hauling trailer around on a trailer or flatbed to multiple locations / days, etc for "VIN verification" process. I hope you are right and it does not come to this.

I have sent an email to a contact at SB asking to escalate the issue. I'm going to refrain from commenting on this further until I hear from them.

thardin68

Also note even if VT requires an inspection, they send out the registration and plates first, and NP failing to get the inspection done, as long as you're not actually driving there.

Heard of people doing the whole process by mail, never setting foot there.

Also lots of CT trailer owners register in Maine, must be a reason.
Yeah, Maine is known for allowing out of state registrations. I understand trailer fleets register there as they are not "reciprocal" with many states which allows the trailer owners to keep registered even if you have unpaid traffic tolls, violations, or property taxes in those other states. CT, for example, will not allow you to re-register unless your municipal property taxes are paid in full. I recall Delaware being the most critical of this form of "evasion". Kinda hypocritical....

ANyway, lets see where this goes with SB. If that doesn't pan out, then I will look into other means (all which seem unreasonable to me). But thank you guys for the input / recommendations.

thardin68

And we have a winner..... SB responded to me and explained this. Sounds like what I need to get it done. Backing away from ledge......

jojackc

Ya they sent me out a MCO. When I was leaving the DMV I called them and told them what was going on and they said they would send one to see if it would help. Then I remembered about the Third party DMV's and was like I bet they don't know all the rules lol. Worst case drive it out here to Arizona. I'll by you a beer and we will go to one of the Third party DMV's and get it registered LOL. Best part about Arizona is we have lifetime plates on trailers. One and done!

Kraxler

Nice setup. You may want to consider getting an off road hitch for your rig. A max coupler or lock n roll would be better for off the pavement. I like to solar cells. Am working on electric for mine. Have a 100 ah lithium ion battery, ac charger, solar charger and inverter. Just need to install and wire up.

misubisu

Nice setup. You may want to consider getting an off road hitch for your rig. A max coupler or lock n roll would be better for off the pavement. I like to solar cells. Am working on electric for mine. Have a 100 ah lithium ion battery, ac charger, solar charger and inverter. Just need to install and wire up.
Yep... an articulating hitch is at the top of my shopping list.
I wasn't worried for this weekend, as I knew it was going to be a level run. I'll check out the max coupler and lock n roll. Thanks for the feedback.

jays0n

Adventurer
Really surprised that a trailer that is purchased new doesn't come with a VIN. Here in WA state the inspection for a homemade trailer is a complete joke, just a money grab. When I finished mine I showed up to the State Patrol at the appointment I had to wait 6 weeks for and all i had to provide was a weight slip from a state certified scale (gravel pit up the road) and the receipts for the materials used to build it. I provided receipts for the wheels, tires, axle and the steel. The guy literally didn't even look at the trailer, didn't test the lights, didn't comment on the lock'n'roll coupler (which usually catches attention because it looks weird) or anything. He stamped a VIN onto the tongue, riveted a plate onto the tongue with the VIN on it and sent me on my way, 10 min total. I went to the DMV, paid a pile of taxes and left with a plate. Whole process including driving between locations was under an hour. Other than waiting 6 weeks it was a piece of cake.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior