Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

I'm debating the Scout trailer over a used Hiker Off-Road trailer. Different beasts, I know. But, there is about a $5k delta between the two. I know the Hiker is truly capable of some serious off-road terrain. Most of my overlanding is on forest service roads. But, I do head out to Big Bend, CO, NM, and UT and plan on taking my trailer over rockier terrain. When you say it is not recommended for any serious adventure, what would be your metric for that? I do plan on a UT trip that will take in a full loop of the White Rim Trail (Canyonlands) and several other off-road trails in the area (Chicken Corners, etc.). Would the Smittybilt not be up to the task? I do find it odd that the Hike Off-Road weighs a few hundred lbs less than the Smittybilt. I guess more weight doesn't equal more strength in this case?
Mines been on the rubicon 3 times now, two moab trips, and about half dozen local so cal desert trails. My only complaint is that it should have a factory tire swing, aluminum tongue box and add about 8" to the main cabin. I added a hockey puck inside the coil spring to make the bumpstop effectively longer. When i have free time i will be doing a long travel suspension for it, something with about 10" travel, with some shock hoops and a little fender trimming and a custom progressive coil spring or air/coil setup. Currently it cycles about 7.5" of travel, most others dont even come close.

thardin68

I'm debating the Scout trailer over a used Hiker Off-Road trailer. Different beasts, I know. But, there is about a $5k delta between the two. I know the Hiker is truly capable of some serious off-road terrain. Most of my overlanding is on forest service roads. But, I do head out to Big Bend, CO, NM, and UT and plan on taking my trailer over rockier terrain. When you say it is not recommended for any serious adventure, what would be your metric for that? I do plan on a UT trip that will take in a full loop of the White Rim Trail (Canyonlands) and several other off-road trails in the area (Chicken Corners, etc.). Would the Smittybilt not be up to the task? I do find it odd that the Hike Off-Road weighs a few hundred lbs less than the Smittybilt. I guess more weight doesn't equal more strength in this case?
I love the trailer, for what it is...A baseline with tons of room for your own creativity. Out of the box I would replace the tongue jack. I would not even attempt to winch the trailer through some nasties (or dry pavement for that matter) with the stock tongue jack. Look at ARK. I got the 750 on Amazon prime delivered for $220. BEEFY, look at their torture tests. You may need to mess with some crossbars (add additional steel for an XL tent) figure out where to mount stuff (with a focus on weight distribution), etc. The "stock" locations which are easy drop in locations for things dont exactly make for the best "serious" adventure trailer. You could drop batteries and electronics in the tongue box, spare fuel / water / propane in the original spare tire location, Generator in pass side compartment and hit the "road", you will be fine. It wont like it off road (IMHO). Move things around to distribute weight over the wheel centerline and you will be good to go.

I also consider a "serious" off road trailer (Like Shutt or several brands much higher priced) to be good to beat the crap of out of the box. The idea that the tongue bolts onto the trailer, for me, is a clear indicator the Scout might not take the same abuse. Weld some reinforcements in to give you a comfort level. I weld a bunch, I know what wire to use with different metals, know about galvanized coatings, etc. I am confident I can make a few simple mods and weld some reinforcements that will completely eliminate any doubts I have in the trailer. The suspension design is pretty stout. I have no doubts it will perform and take some punishment.

For me, the Scout was the right choice as I could design and build the way I wanted from a reasonably solid baseline for cheap $$$$

thardin68

Mines been on the rubicon 3 times now, two moab trips, and about half dozen local so cal desert trails. My only complaint is that it should have a factory tire swing, aluminum tongue box and add about 8" to the main cabin. I added a hockey puck inside the coil spring to make the bumpstop effectively longer. When i have free time i will be doing a long travel suspension for it, something with about 10" travel, with some shock hoops and a little fender trimming and a custom progressive coil spring or air/coil setup. Currently it cycles about 7.5" of travel, most others dont even come close.
I'm going to have to look you up when I get out west! Good deal, great to see it used hard. Comforting to hear!

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Did you grind off the galvanized undercoat before welding? My buddy was welding on his and called me freaking out because nothing would stick , he though it was some kind of aluminum. I was like did you grind off the galvanized undercoating ? He called me a bad word and hung up on me.

I tore into it pretty good, and suspect that that thin layer was ground off, could off course still be some impurities in there.

Thanks for all of the replies folks! I’ll dig in and do my research, haha.

I have built about 7 of these. Its not a difficult assembly, just time consuming, most of which is unpacking everything then pulling it out of the crate, which i just chop off to speed things up. . all the hardware is bagged individually for each component. A regular metric socket set with the addition of a 21 and 24mm socket and box end wrench are all that needed. oh one allen wrench 6mm if i remember. Some green loctite can be applied after everything is torqued. you will need a torque wrench for some of the larger bolts need to be torqued to 165 ft/lb.

Its a great base to build on and thats what they designed it as. Add a solar power setup , a good propane grille and tank and your good to go. They are on the heavy side due to the all steel construction. They could shave some weight if they did an aluminum tongue box, doors and tongue cover plate, but that would bump up the cost. You get alot for the money and can still outfit it with a tent , fridge and power system and still be under 9k.

I know 4 wheel parts has a special at their truckfest shows, trailer , tires and wheels, tent, fridge, awning, recovery ramps and generator for $8700

geanes

Looks like Smittybilt increased the base price from $4999 without wheels to $5999 without wheels and from $6499 with wheels to $6999 with wheels. Curious what improvements were made to justify the $1k price increase on the base trailer or if it's just the increased tariffs for Chinese imports. The sub-$5k pricepoint for the features sure seemed like a great bargain.

dytrdr5

Looks like Smittybilt increased the base price from $4999 without wheels to $5999 without wheels and from $6499 with wheels to $6999 with wheels. Curious what improvements were made to justify the $1k price increase on the base trailer or if it's just the increased tariffs for Chinese imports. The sub-$5k pricepoint for the features sure seemed like a great bargain.
Last thing I heard is that they had switched manufacturing companies and/or facilities, this is what a friend of mine told me that works at 4 wheel parts

Well the new one has a much better tongue, better sliders for the drawers, using high end e-coating on a lot of parts. as you know there is that great 25% tariff this year, they are eating a large percent of that increase to keep the retail cost down. you are also only looking at the suggested retail of 5999, they removed the price protection so you can negotiate price with a retailer. You can find the kit with tires and wheels for 6250.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I installed an XO last summer. Awsome jack wheel. Much more solid than the stock one. If I recall it was about $300, but worth it imho. I had to drill 2 holes in the XO mounting plate as the stock mounting plate on the trailer didn’t line up exactly. Other than that it was bolt on.

I'm looking at using this. I just need to know if the jack that comes with the trailer has an internally swiveling extension tube.

Silverback07

Adventurer
I need to buy a new tongue jack. I bent mine a couple weeks back, my fault. Forgot to raise it and it got hung up in some soft dirt. Luckily it was only pulled about 4 feet but enough to bend it. I can still raise and lower it but its "jacked" up :) I've called Smitybilt about 4 times only to be on hold for 20 minutes and give up each time, not sure ****** they are doing, but its not answering phones. Even did the online thing and no reply yet.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
I need to buy a new tongue jack. I bent mine a couple weeks back, my fault. Forgot to raise it and it got hung up in some soft dirt. Luckily it was only pulled about 4 feet but enough to bend it. I can still raise and lower it but its "jacked" up :) I've called Smitybilt about 4 times only to be on hold for 20 minutes and give up each time, not sure ****** they are doing, but its not answering phones. Even did the online thing and no reply yet.

If you have a good trailer store like western impliments or any I suppose they will carry a replacement 30 inch long jack for about $60. I am looking hard on the ARK 7, and 950, I think it is called, but for $250-300, it is a bit hard to swallow. ( says the idiom just making a $700 CF tounge box... Ha ha ha ha ha)

Silverback07

Adventurer
I just need it to jack up high enough. I checked etrailers.com and can't find one. Before I venture out to locate one locally I'll see what SB says.. but at this point it nothing. ?

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer

I just got back from a trip down the Mojave Road and my trailer handled it very well. I was testing a few things out and had the front of the trailer loaded extremely heavily with five full Jerry cans, two bundles of fire wood, and a 20 lbs. propane tank. Yes, the tongue was too heavy in this configuration. Otherwise, the trailer handled it all very well and we had no issues. For those of you not familiar with the Mojave Road, it offers a wide variety of terrain: sand, rock, whoops, washouts, cross axle and modules, graded fire roads. The trailer was awesome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles