Smittybilt Overland XL RTT-New product.

DCH109

Adventurer
So you put that monster on a Kia? How does it handle? I am still looking at this as my Extreme is going to be to small for 3.
Does it had over alot when closed? how is the wind on the highway?

g0ld3n

So you put that monster on a Kia? How does it handle? I am still looking at this as my Extreme is going to be to small for
Does it had over alot when closed? how is the wind on the highway?

It handles great, you can feel it a bit on a real windy day but other than that dont really notice it. It fits over the roof and does not hang over the front or sides at all. It does sleep 4 comfortably, we are adding the annex this year so it will have even more room.

Last edited:

g0ld3n

Just curious solar for daytime and what not? Or do you have a battery to run led at night?

We have a 20,000ah solar battery pack from Amazon for the lights, it hangs outside the tent during the day and sustains the lights at night for about 6 hours. We have LED inside and under the ladder. Also use it to charge the phones on multiple day long trips. Want to upgrade to zamp solar panels eventually so I can charge my laptop off the grid.

jls4

Just ordered the XL from 4WP. $906 shipped to their store in Richmond, VA, which is two hours from me. Smittybuilt said it won't be in Richmond until mid May. I'll be adding the extra warranty, as I just found out about it in this thread.

FWIW, it'll be mounted on a 4th gen 4Runner sr5.

Mr. T

I have had my Smittybuilt RTT for a year now and went camping one weekend every month for six months last summer and plan to do the same this year starting this May. I am very happy with the RTT except the standard mattress does not give me and my wife the comfort we like. So I use a 3 inch air mattress on top of the standard one.

Attachments

• IMG_0972 resize.jpg
    IMG_0972 resize.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 36

saleenlimited

looking to purchase a XL for a custom trailer build. Going to try and mount the RTT as low as possible for travel but then raise for camping. Anyone know what the "sweet" height is for the annex to be used?

Raisinhead

looking to purchase a XL for a custom trailer build. Going to try and mount the RTT as low as possible for travel but then raise for camping. Anyone know what the "sweet" height is for the annex to be used?

I’m doing the same. Planning to mount the tent around 3 - 4 ft, then raise to 6ft +. How are you planning to raise yours? I’m still trying to decide.

geanes

I’m doing the same. Planning to mount the tent around 3 - 4 ft, then raise to 6ft +. How are you planning to raise yours? I’m still trying to decide.

@saleenlimited 80-84" seems to be ideal. Less than that and the "tub" doesn't form correctly leading to possible water intrusion. Having said that, mine is at 76" and I experienced zero water intrusion over 7 days camping in Colorado with torrential rain/wind every day. I set mine up on a Pac-All Trailer. I needed to lower the rack so I could get the trailer in the garage and better behavior on road/trails while being able to lift the rack for camp deployment. Originally planned on running linear actuators, but didn't have time to install prior to Colorado trip. Instead, I welded on a Harbor Freight drop-leg jack on each corner of the trailer and then welded on "tabs" to the vertical arms of the rack. This way, I simply rotate the trailer jack to an inverted position, remove the Grade8 pins from the rack and then crank each corner a little at a time until the rack is at it's deployment height (12" delta). Takes only about 5 minutes to crank up by myself (have to walk around the trailer continuously in order to lift evenly). Much easier with 2 people cranking opposite corners. Once the rack is at deploy height, I reinstall the Grade8 pins, rotate the jacks 180degrees and then use them to stabilize the entire trailer. Rocksolid setup IMO. First night camping above Salida, major storm rolled through with 50mph winds. Tent and trailer weathered it wonderfully with no issues at all. Anyway, for less than $200 I have a tent rack that can be raised/lowered quite easily with minimal fuss.

Attachments

• D26AEEB5-7414-4AB4-9D9F-CB6E7F9C5F3A.jpeg
    D26AEEB5-7414-4AB4-9D9F-CB6E7F9C5F3A.jpeg
    354.1 KB · Views: 57
  • Salida camp.JPG
    Salida camp.JPG
    147.1 KB · Views: 56
  • Silverton Camp.JPG
    Silverton Camp.JPG
    181.2 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

saleenlimited

geanes- thanks a bunch for the info and pictures! Im still debating about how to raise and lower it. I was originally thinking of a manual crank boat winch and cables but that may get over complicated. I have see others us a scissor style jack in the center. Also though about linear actuators. Interesting setup with the trailer jacks and serving 2 purposes!

Attachments

• closed.jpg
    closed.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 20
  • up.jpg
    up.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 22

geanes

geanes- thanks a bunch for the info and pictures! Im still debating about how to raise and lower it. I was originally thinking of a manual crank boat winch and cables but that may get over complicated. I have see others us a scissor style jack in the center. Also though about linear actuators. Interesting setup with the trailer jacks and serving 2 purposes!

Thanks! I really like the jacks frankly and their dual purpose. Sent back the linear actuators to Amazon. In an ideal world, I'd have welded on t-handle release pins at the corners (https://www.mcmaster.com/t-handle-quick-release-pins). But, the Grade8 thru-bolts work fine.

Cowboycove

I actually planned to build my Trailer to where i can raise my rtt as well. I rigged up a temp frame earlier this year but took it apart. I used a harbor freight scissor jack in the center to raise it. Manually it's heavy so i use an impact with a socket to fit the jack. It raises real fast. It goes up semi uneven because the tent is so big and the jack was centered. but with light lifting with your hands you can Level it out. I predrilled holes on all 4 posts when it was leveled. Simply anchor it with a pin or bolt. Once locked i slightly lower the jack to release tension but keep it there for extra stability. That way the weight is on the 4 posts. I posted the trailer i used as my platform.

@geanes and @saleenlimited

Attachments

• IMG_20190525_143044.jpg
    IMG_20190525_143044.jpg
    322.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20190525_200034.jpg
    IMG_20190525_200034.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20190618_132024.jpg
    IMG_20190618_132024.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 36

Joronimo

Sorry if this was covered, but can you leave bedding in the tent when folded? I'm thinking sheets plus 2 pillows and a decent thickness blanket. We are in AZ so not really cold but it would help. Im interested mainly to reduce setup and amount of "stuff" that has to be shuffled around and carried in the vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94