Slide In Campers and Weight Ratings....

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Ya'll get a new truck every other year anyways. Just get one with the correct sticker next time.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
I am running a set of timbrens currently. I don't think I'd try it without them or bags. I think I'll order a set of the Tuftruck HD rear coils and big wig sway bar and try that first. I checked a head of time and I am well in spec on tire weight ratings. They're load range E and max out at 4650 lbs at 80 psi. The camper dry weight is 2600#'s. I'm going to give it a shot for a few close trips and see how things go. It already feels pretty good, but I'd like to improve. Otherwise I guess a 1 ton dually is in my future

What tires do you have that have a 4650# rating? I've never seen LT tires close to that.

Try air bags,a bigger Helwig,and a Thuren rear track bar.The Thuren bar settles the rear of the truck,it gets rid of the wag,there are several people here using it.I suspect some better shocks might help as well,it's just my WAG, but the more controlled the truck's movement is the better it will handle,I would look at some Kings.

https://www.thurenfabrication.com/products/14-2500-rear-trackbar-kit.html

I didn't think about the rear track bar as an upgrade. I ordered some Super Springs today with a weight rating of 2460 lbs each. My OEM springs are rated at 1240 lbs each. I also ordered the Hellwig Big Wig sway bar. I currently have Thuren springs, shocks, track bar, and sway bar up front. It used to sit nose high until I installed the heavy winch bumper and winch.

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man
I've heard that BS for years, and its just that. BS
Even if brought to court by some money hungry lawyer, it wouldn't/shouldn't stand up.
Id love for you to prove me wrong.... as most people should pay more attention to the GVWR,
but the liability for running over GVWR for the average Joe just doesn't exist.

Escapee's disagree:
https://www.escapees.com/weight-and-safety-tip-gvwr/

GVWR in a non-commercial vehicle is nothing more than a MFG recommended limit.
It is anything but a legal limit. And to add to it, RV's are exempt from many legal restrictions.

I ran into a traffic stop in British Columbia a few years ago where the RCMP was pulling over RV's and checking weights. Any over (door post label) GVWR were ticketed and not allowed to continue. BC FAQ page:
https://www.cvse.ca/references_publications/pdf/MV3231(082003)GVWR.pdf

chet6.7

Explorer
I didn't think about the rear track bar as an upgrade. I ordered some Super Springs today with a weight rating of 2460 lbs each. My OEM springs are rated at 1240 lbs each. I also ordered the Hellwig Big Wig sway bar. I currently have Thuren springs, shocks, track bar, and sway bar up front. It used to sit nose high until I installed the heavy winch bumper and winch.

The rear track bar was one of the best things I have done to the truck. How much did you raise the front with the Thuren springs? Raising the COG and adding a slide in camper may have some stability trade offs. If I remember it correctly his springs are a lighter spring rate, around 25% . It will be interesting to see how the light front springs interact with the heavy rear springs. Do you have his Overland shocks?

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I ran a FWC Hawk shell (1000lbs) in the bed of my 2018 Ram 2500 Power Wagon this past weekend as we traversed the Padre Island National Seashore reaching speeds of 40+ mph down the beach. The addition of the Airlift Loadlifter 5000 airbags and DayStar cradles gave me the stability I needed in order to safely stabilize the load and eliminate the side-to-side rolling that would otherwise would have been present without them. I would not recommend that someone run a load of that weight and increased COG in a PW with its reduced payload capacity and much softer rate springs.

The rear track bar was one of the best things I have done to the truck. How much did you raise the front with the Thuren springs? Raising the COG and adding a slide in camper may have some stability trade offs. If I remember it correctly his springs are a lighter spring rate, around 25% . It will be interesting to see how the light front springs interact with the heavy rear springs. Do you have his Overland shocks?

His springs raised the front end 1 3/4". It is a much smoother ride over factory and handles much better. I am running his overland shocks in the front and bilstein 4600 in the rear. I originally had a regular spacer kit but when you see the angle of the coil springs, it gets scary so I swapped it. To keep with an unloaded daily driver, I plan on keeping the Thuren up front but might install front bags for when it is loaded, just to help stiffen it up a bit.

Last edited:

Sedonut

Adventurer
If you kill someone or remove a limb or two you can easily exceed the $250/500 limits of you policy. Those are the high limits by the way. My daughter the lawyer has a case now with $800,000 in medical bills , then you add damages for pain and suffering. Then you get some lawyer who asks someone with experience to look at the accident scene pictures and spots something. Like the one my daughter asked me to look at where a motorcyclist had lost a leg. Whoops, he took the front brake off his Harley, he loses. Your insurance will cover you , yea sure. You'll just be broke, forever.

might just be my truck,but i found flotation tires like that really kill gas mileage and don't carry a camper as well as ,say.a 275 /65/20

That might be true. I run the bigger tires because I need them where we go, but for pure efficiency, they are likely not ideal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Well after hearing someone say the irreplaceable cargo is riding in the truck (wife and kids) I just decided to cut my losses and start shopping for a 1 ton DRW truck. All my parts arrived so I'm out that, but I guess in the long run things should be safer. I am so damn mad at myself for not catching the weight ahead of time. I knew what I went up there for and it was a light weight pop up but the family didn't fit well. My wife and I were having so much fun shopping and got excited over this used camper that we could pay cash for that all rational thought exited my mind. You know what they say about hindsight. Thanks everyone for all your input!

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
pWXXAVL.jpg

Lance 990 is so much better on a DRW, anyways.

I'm a big time hater of campers wider than the truck.

Last edited:

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
If you kill someone or remove a limb or two you can easily exceed the $250/500 limits of you policy. Those are the high limits by the way. My daughter the lawyer has a case now with $800,000 in medical bills , then you add damages for pain and suffering. Then you get some lawyer who asks someone with experience to look at the accident scene pictures and spots something. Like the one my daughter asked me to look at where a motorcyclist had lost a leg. Whoops, he took the front brake off his Harley, he loses. Your insurance will cover you , yea sure. You'll just be broke, forever.

If you've got enough stuff to run $250/500 coverage you're a fool not to have a $2m umbrella on top. It's only a few hundred bucks and gives a ton of peace of mind and security.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior