Show me your "Adult" rigs and how you keep them running.

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
I have a 50 year history with 'old' rigs. My first was only 16 yrs old when I bought it. 1949 Willys Ute Wagon-the world's first SUV. It had a GM 265 V8, 5.38's, Studebaker O.D., broke almost every dinky little drivetrain part at least once. Baja 1965:

1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 with homemade matching jeep trailer: Monument Valley 1967:

Down to the frame in quicksand. Salt Creek/Canyonlands.

1970 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ55 307 Chevy V8, Hone O.D. 4.10's, PowerLok L.S., 53 gal. gas tank, 160K miles driven.

lunch stop in Baja, 1974. The kitchen is up, the awning is out; ConFer Toyota specific jeep trailer. 83 gal. fuel capacity w/6 gas cans.

My beloved 1982 Jeep Scrambler CJ-8.

Everything done to it to keep it moving over terra like this: Helldorado Canyon/Moab:

My son has a 1973 Jeep Commando made into a stealth rock crawler: SOA; 304 V8; T-18, Dana 300 Texas Pattern with TerraLow; D44/D60 Detroits.

Here is a lineup of a few of the SOA jobs i did: my '82 CJ-8, a 1969 Jeepster; a 1983 FJ60: these should all qualify:

I had one more 'oldie': a 1980 Scout Traveller (118" w.b.) w/factory Nissan 3.3L turbo diesel, SOA, rr l.s. I cannot find a good pic of this one.
jefe

Last edited:

PhilipE

Observer
Here is mine its old enough to vote.
93 Dodge W350 dually. I bought it in 98. Upgrades over the years. Larger injectors, bigger turbo, larger exhaust, flatbed, 6 spd transmission, air ride rear suspension, complete body replacement due to rust from Midwest winters.

Bronco that was a good job on that console.

CaneCreek

Do you have a build thread for your CJ8? I have a '81 CJ8 with big plans to build. I want a little guidance to get me started. Mine is bone stock with 66k miles. 258, SR4 trans.

CaneCreek

Zeiderman

Adventurer
XJ.jpg

20 this year with 197xxx, still mostly stock, bought it 8 years ago for $1700. has been my DD and family hauler the whole time, and has always done everything I've asked of it. Since I bought I have replaced water pump, rotor to plugs, alternator, couple batteries, couple sets of tires (just put on Maxxis 31x10.5.15) (2) starters, new calipers up front, and most recently load leveler shocks in the rear. Other than that it's all factory original, and completely rust free. Will keep it forever for sure, it has just been to valuable function wise to ever get rid of it, short of burning to the ground. And now slowly building it, it's tough on a DD but we'll get there.

CaneCreek

81 Scrambler

I do not seem to be smart enough to post pics from Photobucket.

Stock '81 CJ8, 258 cu, SR4 trans, 66k on the clock. Step-dad original owner gave it to me to fix up. "just do not cut it up or get rid of it"

CaneCreek

onemanarmy

Explorer
I have a 50 year history with 'old' rigs. My first was only 16 yrs old when I bought it. 1949 Willys Ute Wagon-the world's first SUV. It had a GM 265 V8, 5.38's, Studebaker O.D., broke almost every dinky little drivetrain part at least once. Baja 1965:

1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 with homemade matching jeep trailer: Monument Valley 1967:

Down to the frame in quicksand. Salt Creek/Canyonlands.

1970 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ55 307 Chevy V8, Hone O.D. 4.10's, PowerLok L.S., 53 gal. gas tank, 160K miles driven.

lunch stop in Baja, 1974. The kitchen is up, the awning is out; ConFer Toyota specific jeep trailer. 83 gal. fuel capacity w/6 gas cans.

My beloved 1982 Jeep Scrambler CJ-8.

Everything done to it to keep it moving over terra like this: Helldorado Canyon/Moab:

My son has a 1973 Jeep Commando made into a stealth rock crawler: SOA; 304 V8; T-18, Dana 300 Texas Pattern with TerraLow; D44/D60 Detroits.

Here is a lineup of a few of the SOA jobs i did: my '82 CJ-8, a 1969 Jeepster; a 1983 FJ60: these should all qualify:

I had one more 'oldie': a 1980 Scout Traveller (118" w.b.) w/factory Nissan 3.3L turbo diesel, SOA, rr l.s. I cannot find a good pic of this one.
jefe

What ever became of the 55?

PhilipE

Observer
There you go scrambler.

044_zpsnjolrjwd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Joanne

Adventurer
I bought my son's Bronco from him when he needed a different vehicle. It's a 92 Bronco and ideal for some mine exploring I want to do. I stripped off the running boards and the brush guard. Not sure what will go back on. My big truck is in the background.

n222kw.jpg

The engine is tired so a friend and I pulled it out. A rebuild and back in as I can afford it.

2ahlch.jpg

The repair / build is money dependent so it will be a bit before it's out in the desert. Lots of little stuff needs to get done and a ton of maintenance chores. Should be a great ride when it's done. I had an 80's Bronco years ago and loved it. I think I'll feel the same about this one.

Joanne

ocblaze

image.jpg
image.jpeg

I just found this thread and since my Jeep is 37 years old it should count! I picked it up for cheap 2 years ago and I have been replacing things here and there since then. You wouldn't believe what a old carbed 3 speed Jeep can do to show all the new rigs, as long as the cruising speed is 60 mph! I love the upkeep the Jeep requires and the simplicity of the entire thing, I carry enough tools to rebuild my entire Jeep and they fit in a 50 cal. ammo box! I'm trying to figure out how to expand the cargo room of the Jeep while beginning a D44 swap for stability and strength upgrades.

Last edited:
My rig is almost a senior citizen at 46 years old I've owned it since 1990 and rebuilt it twice the second time adding a cummins 4BT 3.54 gears and truTracs front and rear and a 203/205 T case The trailer is based on a 1958 Alaskan camper so it is nearly qualified for social security! I've added a York compressor for OBA with a 7 gal. tank a ramsey 8K winch 65 gal fulel tank 2 spare tires full gauges mounted in an F-600 dash bucket seats in front moving the sliding bench to the rear that allows easy storage under and behind for lots of gear.An overhead console for AM/FM-SD card stereo with Bose speakers and a CB and soon a vintage under dash AC...actually there is very little that came from the factory in'68 still on the truck.The trailer is based on an 8' Alaskan camper that we upgraded the water tankage to 22 gallons and replaced the icebox with a frige and a small solar system to keep the batteries charged.They are both still "works in progress" but we are very happy with them so far I am getting ~16 mpg for the truck and trailer when loaded to 12,000 lbs combined weight which is 6 mpg better than the truck got empty with the 390 :Wow1:
Someday if I can ever afford it it will get paint and body work done but that is beyond my skill sets so it may be a long time before that happens but it is rock solid reliable as it sits so I can live with its rough looks

100_1441.jpg

100_0466.jpg

100_0977.jpg

100_1378.jpg

DSCF3857.jpg

100_0351.jpg

100_0278.jpg

that thing is a beast!!!! haha

C W

Here is my 1996 Ford Bronco that I sold earlier this year. It had a 351W, lockers, & sat on 33x12.50R15's. The only parts ever replaced were rear window motors, and an alternator. It had over 255,000 miles on it when sold. And yes I do miss it...
attachment.php

Zeiderman

Adventurer
Here is my 1996 Ford Bronco that I sold earlier this year. It had a 351W, lockers, & sat on 33x12.50R15's. The only parts ever replaced were rear window motors, and an alternator. It had over 255,000 miles on it when sold. And yes I do miss it...
attachment.php
The Juice is loose. That's awesome.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Got my latest project in today! Its a roof mounted console to hold my light switches and a pair of sun glasses. Hey, you can't be cruising without those! I designed it myself to fit the visor shelf but had to have it made in 4 pieces and then screwed together. It came out PERFECT! I was afraid it might be too tall or that the pieces would warm and the holes wouldn't line up. Have to say, I LIKE this piece. Now I can finish rewiring all my aux lights and switches how I really wanted them all along. The sunglasses fit perfectly and the switches line up just how I wanted them to.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Now the bad news. This little project won't get finished up until next week. The girlfriend and I have plans for this weekend and tomorrow I plan on replacing the seals on the 8.8 and going over everything back there in preparation for this 800 miles road trip towing a trailer the whole way. Gotta make sure things work. I may try to hit up the wiring Friday. It just depends on the weather.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles