Should I buy a 1st Gen Sequoia?

Sal R.

I've got an 01 Sequoia. I don't like the 4WD system in it. Toyota dropped the ball with these in 01 and 02. I think they finally fixed them in 03. The issue is it's only in true 4WD (center diff locked) when the t-case shifter is in Low and the transmission is in first gear. That's it. Once you shift into second gear or reverse, it kicks the center diff lock out and now you're in AWD. Uhhhhhhh, thanks Toyota. Horrible design.

I've taken it out on the trail a couple times and it's scary to get it into a spot where you've wheeled it in forward in 4WD and have to get out in AWD. Not fun at all.

There is a mod available to add a switch to lock the center diff even in 4HI on 01-02s that duplicates the function enabled for later models.

FYI

Smileyshaun

Observer
they make fantastic family haulers and with the 5speed auto they will still creep up on 18 mpg even lifted . lots of storage places for stuff and the 3rd row actually has enough room for someone with legs to fit comfortably . I would still have mine but sold it to start saving more for a house
00505_fopOZVmVAqQ_600x450.jpg

Volcom

There is a mod available to add a switch to lock the center diff even in 4HI on 01-02s that duplicates the function enabled for later models.

FYI
Yeah, I've read the threads on how to wire it. Just sucks that Toyota didn't think about it when they built them. Toyota dropped the ball for sure.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Did they all have the third row? I ask because I used to have a third gen RAV4 that had an optional third row, and if you didn't get the third row there was an awesome storage compartment under the floor where the seats would have been, room for lots of recovery gear and more.

Volcom

You'll get no argument from me, bro. ✌

I really do enjoy it for everything else though! Perfect family hauler and I've taken it out for a 3 day expo style trip. Lots of dirt roads and big enough to sleep inside with the 3rd row removed and the 2nd row flipped up.

Sal R.

I really do enjoy it for everything else though! Perfect family hauler and I've taken it out for a 3 day expo style trip. Lots of dirt roads and big enough to sleep inside with the 3rd row removed and the 2nd row flipped up.

I know this! ?

IMG_20180418_112450.jpg

I saw on Dirtco's adventure thread that you were able to keep up on that back country trip.

I've only been desert road expo trips living in SoCal, so seeing that makes me confident I'll be alright for my trip up there in August.

sampson34

Hey Everyone!
I have enjoyed reading all the info so far! I currently have a 98 4runner for a rig and am looking at sequoias for a little bit more room for longer trips. Many that I have found had 240k miles on them. Would you have any concerns finding one with that high mileage?

Retired Tanker

Explorer
Hey Everyone!
I have enjoyed reading all the info so far! I currently have a 98 4runner for a rig and am looking at sequoias for a little bit more room for longer trips. Many that I have found had 240k miles on them. Would you have any concerns finding one with that high mileage?

It wouldn’t be a deal breaker, provided the timing belt and water pump were changed every 80-100k. Also would have to check the frame for rust. Other than that it’s the usual; maintenance records, general condition, carfax history, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sal R.

Hey Everyone!

Gen1 Sequoias suffer from the LBJ issue that plagues T4Rs and Tacos. At 240k miles, that is a key inspection item.

sampson34

Thanks for the info! I will inspect them a little closer. I also just stumbled upon a land cruiser that I want to check out as well. I am definitely leaning towards a sequoia as its a little bigger, but the land cruiser already has sliders and skids so that's a plus....

obsurfer

Hi all!,

I am new here and I am after a 1st Gen Sequoia as well. After some research it seems is the very best car that fits my needs.

I had a question: Does anybody know an exhaustive list of all trim options that the Limited version includes in 2003-2006 models?

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne