Should FWC's Swift & Fleet be marketed towards Tacomas?

beef tits

You're right they all have issues. The difference is that Toyota admits it, and fixes things in a timely manner. Ford will let half the world go down in flames before issuing a recall.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
You're right they all have issues. The difference is that Toyota admits it, and fixes things in a timely manner. Ford will let half the world go down in flames before issuing a recall.
Huh? I've had three recalls on my 2015 F-150. All were minor issues that hadn't even impacted my truck.

You take a gamble on any vehicle regardless of make or model. It's all a crap shoot. Everybody seems to build pretty good vehicles today but, any manufacturer can have issues.

tacollie

Glamper
I don't think it is a crap shoot. They are all pretty good these days. I talk trash to my buddies with GMs, Jeeps, and Rams because it's fun. It has nothing to do with the actual vehicles ?

I think if you put a 1200lbs FWC on a Tacoma or a Ranger you won't see a big difference in longevity. I think a 1500 lbs camper on a Tundra or a F150 will have similar longevity. I would take a 10 year old Tundra over any super duty before 2011. 2011+ is a different story. I'm waiting for the 17s to come down a little more before I grab one.

Having a FWC I get to talk to a lot more FWC owners. Lots move up from midsize trucks but it's not because of the truck. It's because the small campers are small. That's why we didn't put a FWC on our Tacoma. Most the camper people I talk to replacing their 1/2 tons with 1 tons is to get a bigger camper.

bkg

Explorer
I don't think it is a crap shoot. They are all pretty good these days. I talk trash to my buddies with GMs, Jeeps, and Rams because it's fun. It has nothing to do with the actual vehicles ?

I think if you put a 1200lbs FWC on a Tacoma or a Ranger you won't see a big difference in longevity. I think a 1500 lbs camper on a Tundra or a F150 will have similar longevity. I would take a 10 year old Tundra over any super duty before 2011. 2011+ is a different story. I'm waiting for the 17s to come down a little more before I grab one.

Having a FWC I get to talk to a lot more FWC owners. Lots move up from midsize trucks but it's not because of the truck. It's because the small campers are small. That's why we didn't put a FWC on our Tacoma. Most the camper people I talk to replacing their 1/2 tons with 1 tons is to get a bigger camper.

I'd go so far as to say 08 for Super Duty, assuming it's gas...

I want a 2020+... I admit it... don't need it... but I want the 10 speed.

tacollie

Glamper

I don't like anything before the 6.2. The only reason I want a 17 is that was the first year the super cab windows roll down. Our dog rides in the back seat and the windows need to roll down. If I didn't mind the length of the crew cab I would have an f250 in the driveway.

Reactions: bkg

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Which model Ford are you looking at?
I'm watching what happens with Rangers. Absent a total loss accident my Tacoma is fine. Haven't even broken 100k yet (probably this month), so it should be awhile but I'm weighing whether I should put a gasoline engine, stick shift truck on ice to have an option in the back pocket in a future of self-driven cars that will not be allowed off highway.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I'm watching what happens with Rangers. Absent a total loss accident my Tacoma is fine. Haven't even broken 100k yet (probably this month), so it should be awhile but I'm weighing whether I should put a gasoline engine, stick shift truck on ice to have an option in the back pocket in a future of self-driven cars that will not be allowed off highway.
Oh yeah, you should be good for a while with that mileage! My '15 already has 100 K miles on it, haha

T-Willy

I've been eyeing FWC builds as my 50s approach and living space for foul weather becomes more attractive.

I would not run a FWC on a Tacoma. Dirt touring at capacity begs trouble. I've seen firsthand Tacoma suspensions ruined doing so. I much prefer plenty of payload freeboard touring.

Newer Super Duty 350s are attractive--they ride high, regular cab to retain a reasonable wheelbase, and then add 35s. With the exception of the camper and taller tires, you're more or less good to go from the factory and with plenty of payload to spare.

Also attractive are RAM 3500 chassis cabs for the ~75 gallon fuel capacity available with the Cummins.

rruff

Explorer

Other good things about the latest models: 7.3L gas, torsionally stiff fully boxed frame (just hard mount everything, don't worry about pivots).

If I had it to do over, I'd be very tempted to go with a F250 or 350. 7.3L, 10spd, 4.30 gears, locker... add 37s, mild lift.

phsycle

Adventurer
I'm weighing whether I should put a gasoline engine, stick shift truck on ice to have an option in the back pocket in a future of self-driven cars that will not be allowed off highway.

That will be a looooooooong ways off. Toyota is pumping out quarter mil Tacoma’s a year and Jeep is doing the same with Wrangler. 5-10% of it is manuals but that will give plenty of future supply.

If it were me, I’d sell it and put that $17-20k in mutual funds/investments.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
That will be a looooooooong ways off. Toyota is pumping out quarter mil Tacoma’s a year and Jeep is doing the same with Wrangler. 5-10% of it is manuals but that will give plenty of future supply.

If it were me, I’d sell it and put that $17-20k in mutual funds/investments.
But then what would I drive? We only have the one truck. What I kick myself over is selling the 1991 rather than keeping it and doing a restore. I don't want to make that mistake again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94