Shiftpod tent

coop74

Old Camping Dude
At 6 feet long and 60 pounds in weight when stowed away, I don't think those glampers they are marketing to will have the vehicle to carry this beast. I've never seen someone bring an oriental rug camping like they've shown in their video either :)

My wife would if she saw it. As it stands now we take a large outdoor rug for under the easyup...

brushogger

Explorer
Check out Pelsue ground tents. I used to carry one as a telephone cable repairman. They're tough as nails, and stand up well to high winds. No floor, but has wide snow/sand flaps around the perimeter. Same basic design as the one in this post , but cheaper and lighter.

Richietherocket

Adventurer
The patch kit for $19 is a JOKE!
That is a bike patch kit that can be had for about $3 bucks at any bike shop.

So with that being said...if they are willing to charge 6x for a patch kit, I would guess that the tent should be about $150

LilPoppa

Adventurer
These companies redesign a familiar camping product, put "Pod" in the name, and sell them as some sort of game-changer. There was a link going around Facebook last year of an "Ecopod" that was basically an egg shaped camper trailer, but without the trailer part.

Dennx

Adventurer
I was in one of these during a 3 hour rain and it leaked like crazy. Every attachment point where the internal poles mounted through the fabric at the walls leaked as well as a few taped seams. It’s also a hot box during sunny days. It’s an awful tent.

Fronty2011

I just got the Shiftpod2. Its big, at 12'X12' and weighs 65lbs but pretty easy to set up. I have only been able to test it out in my backyard but it seems to be very well built and reflects heat good. I will be using it next month on a camping trip so I'll know more after that, even though we will be in 80° weather and not 108° like when I had it set up.
f40f4955d88b45c9806702cc5af1f2c8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Kerensky97

Xterra101
I will be using it next month on a camping trip so I'll know more after that, even though we will be in 80° weather and not 108° like when I had it set up.
I'm curious how it works out.

All their marketing shows it as being a festival shelter. But I think a lot of that crowd has different standards to somebody using it for camping. Leaking during rain, thrashing about in high winds, being unbearably hot after a full day in 90-100 temps. It's all fine when you're spending your day in a sweaty dance pit high on Molly but if I'm camping I need a shelter I can retreat to to escape all that.

I'm curious about how it handles a whole summer day of heat. Even with layers and layers of refletix, you still need good ventilation and those little portholes look miserable. It's cool it has ports for hooking up an AC unit but I don't want to include a whole infrastructure along with my overlanding setup.

Fronty2011

I will be using it next month on a camping trip so I'll know more after that, even though we will be in 80° weather and not 108° like when I had it set up.
I'm curious how it works out.

All their marketing shows it as being a festival shelter. But I think a lot of that crowd has different standards to somebody using it for camping. Leaking during rain, thrashing about in high winds, being unbearably hot after a full day in 90-100 temps. It's all fine when you're spending your day in a sweaty dance pit high on Molly but if I'm camping I need a shelter I can retreat to to escape all that.

I'm curious about how it handles a whole summer day of heat. Even with layers and layers of refletix, you still need good ventilation and those little portholes look miserable. It's cool it has ports for hooking up an AC unit but I don't want to include a whole infrastructure along with my overlanding setup.
I have a friend that has been using one for a while now. For wind and rain it probably beats anything else when you have it staked and the Fly/Blast shield on. It also has a center support for snow conditions. He said he puts a small fan that runs from a cheap solar panel in one window and the heat is not an issue. I cant wait to try it out, I have already set it up two times in my yard just to get an idea and set up the stakes. I'll probably set it up one more time before the camping trip to get the fan mocked up with the solar panel.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles