Sewing Thread....A discussion on making your own adventure textile gear.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
I am biased because I use a backpack for work. I transitioned from a hand bag years ago. I hand bag just doesn't work well, for me, when traveling through airports because I need and want my hands free.

I work in an office environment and I would guess 75% of people below 50 years old use a backpack. Thus, I think the trend is indicating hand bags are slowly fading into our memories.

This is very helpful! Thanks for taking the time to explain your experience and what your seeing in your would!

taugust

Adventurer
Paul, I have a few questions about this project. What foam and how thick did you use?

Would you be willing to walk me through the way you assembled this project? Not really a tutorial, just the order of operations to get it done. I think it would be a good illustration of how to assemble many other projects. It might help others too.

Another “one-off” project for a friend. Not planning on producing these but, it was fun to design and make!
I’m not familiar with the Magma, nested cooking system but it seems really solid.
Anyway, the case I designed for it is fully padded, Desert Tan 1000D Cordura Nylon (inside and out), #10 YKK zippers and 4 panel seatbelt webbing for the handles and straps. The handles are removable for storage so I created a small panel with elastic webbing that nests inside of the lid and orientates with the knob on the lid this way the handles don’t bang around inside or outside of the pans.
Fun project. Lmk if you have any questions.View attachment 728791View attachment 728792View attachment 728793View attachment 728794View attachment 728795View attachment 728796View attachment 728797View attachment 728798View attachment 728799

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Paul, I have a few questions about this project. What foam and how thick did you use?

Would you be willing to walk me through the way you assembled this project? Not really a tutorial, just the order of operations to get it done. I think it would be a good illustration of how to assemble many other projects. It might help others too.

Hi-

The foam is a standard 1/4" high density foam used in stiffening the sidewalls of textile products, making backpack straps and protecting contents. It's available from most fabric or upholstery supply companies.

I'm getting ready to headout for week in New Mexico so when I get back I'll writeup the assembly of the pot bag. If there's internet service or cell service where I'm at I'll try to get it done at night. Cheers.

taugust

Adventurer
I got some Cordura, thread and other bits, and did some testing to see how well my domestic machine would handle it. It turns out that I can sew 4 layers of 1000D Cordura with a double layer of binding nylon. That should be sufficient for most projects, but I am starting to look at used (or maybe new) Sailrite walking foot machines.

My question is how important/useful is have zig zag ability for these types of projects? The straight stitch only version saves a bit in cost. Am I likely to need that ability? My domestic can do ZZ.

williaty

I got some Cordura, thread and other bits, and did some testing to see how well my domestic machine would handle it. It turns out that I can sew 4 layers of 1000D Cordura with a double layer of binding nylon. That should be sufficient for most projects, but I am starting to look at used (or maybe new) Sailrite walking foot machines.

My question is how important/useful is have zig zag ability for these types of projects? The straight stitch only version saves a bit in cost. Am I likely to need that ability? My domestic can do ZZ.
1) Unless you really, absolutely, must pack up store the machine after each use (such as when living on a sailboat), the Sailrite Ultrafeed machines are bad value for money. To clarify: they are good machines and their after-sales support is best in the industry. They just cost quite a bit more than a really good condition used industrial machine. If you don't need to pack them up and you don't want a company who will hold your hand as you learn the machine, a used industrial off Craigslist or Marketplace will save you a ton of money.

2) I personally only use ZZ stitch in two things: Stretchy bits on clothes and sail repair. For the stretchy bits on clothes, honestly a basic domestic with ZZ will do better than an Ultrafeed. For sail repair, an Ultrafeed will do a good job but I'd much rather have a full-sized industrial machine with more harp space. And it'd be cheaper.

YMMV

taugust

Adventurer
Thanks for the reply. Since I won't likely be doing stretchy bits or sails, I can get by with a straight stitch machine.

taugust

Adventurer
Here is my version of Paul's storage bag for my Magma Cookset. It was probably not the best first real sewing project, but I learned a lot. Very challenging at times. This is actually the second iteration. The first was too tall, had very poor seams in many places, and other issues. I almost completely disassembled it (everything but the zipper), corrected the main issue (which was the foam was too close to the seams, causing interference), and resized panels, and started over. This one still has some flaws, but is much better.

The webbing handles and paracord are repurposed from some Jeep grab handles that I won years ago and couldn't use because I own Toyotas.
20221228_211230.jpg20221228_211258.jpg20221228_211335.jpg20221228_211420.jpg20221228_213636.jpg

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Here is my version of Paul's storage bag for my Magma Cookset. It was probably not the best first real sewing project, but I learned a lot. Very challenging at times. This is actually the second iteration. The first was too tall, had very poor seams in many places, and other issues. I almost completely disassembled it (everything but the zipper), corrected the main issue (which was the foam was too close to the seams, causing interference), and resized panels, and started over. This one still has some flaws, but is much better.

The webbing handles and paracord are repurposed from some Jeep grab handles that I won years ago and couldn't use because I own Toyotas.
View attachment 758339View attachment 758340View attachment 758341View attachment 758342View attachment 758343

Dude! That's awesome! Well done!

Yep, Toyota Mega Cruiser. (thats a stock photo of the one my friend has recently received)
Drool! I tried every which way to convince myself I needed one of those or the even rarer Dyna outfitted with the 15BFT and portals... I hope he get's it stinkin' dirty and often :ROFLMAO:.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior