Secret Pass adventure (NW AZ) Apr. 14-16 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Well, this is kind of shaping up like the Black Mtn trek as far as attendance goes. :p Our buddy Jack will not make it, so the crew is down to 4 vehicles, with a total of 6 people and 2 dogs. Now I bet our chances of seeing some bighorns are really good.

If anyone else cares to join us, there are now 4 slots available :)

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Aaron
Sounds good on the caravan!
I will try hard for 12 but it may be tight.
My directions show it as 3 hours to kingman from my place.

Chris,
My Brother in Law, Scott, had to bail so it's just me and Oliver.
So that means I have extra seats available if anyone wants to join.
I may be staying out longer than the group so if you ride in with me you may have to ride back with someone else.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
That is kinda funny Brian, it was showing 3.5 hours from my house, and it is closer than yours. Stupid internet maps. If you want to meet up at say I-17 and Happy Valley at around 12-12:30ish is cool with me. If we are on the road by 12:30 we should be fine. If anyone hitches a ride up with Brian and can not stay I will have an extra seat and a little room for gear on the way back. I will probably leave shortly after breakfast on Sunday though so as to not get home too late on Easter Sunday.

Brian, give me a call tomorrow or Friday morning and see if we can arrange a caravan up.

whitethaiger

Adventurer
BajaTaco said:
Well, this is kind of shaping up like the Black Mtn trek as far as attendance goes. :p Our buddy Jack will not make it, so the crew is down to 4 vehicles, with a total of 6 people and 2 dogs. Now I bet our chances of seeing some bighorns are really good.

If anyone else cares to join us, there are now 4 slots available :)

Yes, what is it with these trips that they are first fully booked and then nobody makes it.

That would be cool if we could see some bighorn!

Otherwise preps are going forward here: Got a bundle of wood, tested the shower.

I'm not sure yet on our approach, but likely we will come from the Bullhead City side. I'll study some maps tonight.

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Sounds great! Thanks for bringing some wood Uwe. Dang, I can't wait... this place is going to be beautiful.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Chris, I'll bring a bag or two of wood also. And I am with you buddy, I am very much looking forward to this.

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Chris,
Any GPS coordinates?

One of the maps I am using shows the trails we are getting onto splitting and going every witch way through the mountains and desert with no names!

But, I still have to consult my other maps and books.

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Aaron, if you already have the wood, then go ahead and bring a little. If you have to buy it, don't bother. Between Uwe and I we can bring enough for 2 nights.

Brian, I haven't had time to hunt down any coords yet, but I do have some from the Wells book, and I am going to try and actually make a track file from sat photos. But that will depend on if I have time so I wouldn't count on it. I will at least post the coords from the Wells book at lunch time.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Cool Chris, I will not buy any then. Due to the warm winter we had this year we did not stock up on any firewood for the house, so I would have to buy it. But, if you do feel like we may need it I am happy to pick some up.

whitethaiger

Adventurer
I don't have any paper maps for hiking, but I also wanted to go over some DOQ's to look for potential routes. How long should we make these hikes? Well, maybe I'll leave that to Chris after the KOFA training experience.... :Wow1:

We'll bring our hiking sticks, they make downhill and hiking on uneven terrain much easier. Even short hikes in the desert are serious business: Make sure everyone brings what they need on the hikes (water, comfortable boots, sun protection (hat, long sleeve shirt/pants), water, radio, mirror, whistle, energy bars, band aid, compass & GPS). What else? If you have any special medical conditions/allergies let the group know. I bring this up because I got stung in my foot by a bee last weekend out in the Mojave and we were probably 4h from any medical help.

As for getting there. I saw all those little roads, but I think you guys come as a group and we should have no problem picking up Chris on the 2m.

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Uwe, I am looking at some info right now regarding your route in from the west. I'll give you a call on the phone shortly.

Length of hike - whatever we feel like. I too am looking at the topos for some more ideas, but my primary goal is to hike in Secret pass canyon first, then maybe do some more of the stuff to the southeast of our camp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior