Scout Olympic vs Kenai

kamicrazy99

I’ll echo what many before me have said about how helpful this thread has been. I’m on the waiting list for a Kenai and am excited for a (hopefully) Q1 2022 delivery.

Those who have a Kenai, how are you securing it to your truck? Mine will be going on a Ram 3500 but I cannot seem to find load ratings for the OEM tie downs.
I don't have a Kenai, but my Ram 2500 box tie downs bent from a sled deck, so wouldn't trust them. When I was considering Kenai I was trying to figure out a different way myself.

TheFrazz

I don't have a Kenai, but my Ram 2500 box tie downs bent from a sled deck, so wouldn't trust them. When I was considering Kenai I was trying to figure out a different way myself.
I went out and took a closer look look at the OEM tie downs and I definitely agree. The actual loop appears to be solid but there isn’t much from keeping it from pulling through the thin piece of material. Eye bolts it is! Thanks, guys.

GeorgeHayduke

We're using the OEM tie downs on our Ram 2500. So far it's been mostly fine but I've noticed a few issues. We have a spray in bedliner and it was rough enough to quickly cut through the rubber on the ratchet hook. Still holds fine, but now the hooks are rusting.

We used the Happijack tiedowns on our previous Northstar camper and I felt like those had more control of the camper because the attachment points on both the camper and truck were further outboard and had better leverage to control rocking motion of the camper.

The rear Happijack tiedown point connects to the sheet metal bumper which flexed a ton. The OEM tiedown points are much more solid in comparison, so I'm less as worried about flex and more concerned about the geometry of the tiedown angles.

TheFrazz

We're using the OEM tie downs on our Ram 2500. So far it's been mostly fine but I've noticed a few issues. We have a spray in bedliner and it was rough enough to quickly cut through the rubber on the ratchet hook. Still holds fine, but now the hooks are rusting.

We used the Happijack tiedowns on our previous Northstar camper and I felt like those had more control of the camper because the attachment points on both the camper and truck were further outboard and had better leverage to control rocking motion of the camper.

The rear Happijack tiedown point connects to the sheet metal bumper which flexed a ton. The OEM tiedown points are much more solid in comparison, so I'm less as worried about flex and more concerned about the geometry of the tiedown angles.
Very interesting! What year is your 2500? My 3500 is an ‘18 with a spray in bed liner and the rear most tie down appears to flex the metal and liner when I push or pull on it. I can’t imagine it taking much abuse but maybe it’s the liner flexing.

Retepick

I haven't noticed any air intake, especially since the fan is blowing out. I'm guessing it'll be fine in the winter. Put a silicon bead around the seal to the ceiling and also around where the hose screws into the vent. I video'd the whole install (mostly) if you end up wanting to see it.. I got a straight fan housing as you can see in the pics. I also needed extra hose, about 4ft I think. There is a hose splice in the middle for the bug screen. In mine its hidden behind the fold up toilet cover counter. I think we have the toilet dialed in now, but we'll be on a 4day/3night trip this weekend with the 4 of us. Should be a good test.

Maybe my favorite mod is that damn Sirroco II gimble fan. Its SO nice having a low-draw gimble fan able to run for an hour or so when sleeping or when its stuffy in the camper. Its a big deal having some air circulation when running the heater too as it doesn't heat evenly being a fireplace. The gimble fan solves all that in spades and folds out of the way. I used 18awg wire and the basic crimp connects with a pigtail 5mm connection below the fireplace (wiring is there already). Also put some half inch heat shrink around the outer crimp connection so the slice isn't showing.

A couple of other notes:
1- The 9in lodge griddle doesn't work on the stove. Not enough air flow for it to keep the flame lit on the cramped right side.

2- We are putting up a knife/utensil magnet to the left of the stove to hold cooking items. Its too "nested" in that lower area for my tastes

3- Two sleeping bags stuff into the big compartment to the right of the battery area. We keep the kids bedding stuffed in there which is sweet because we don't have stuff just lying around, everything is stored.

4- Got a 12ft quick connect propane hose for running the stove outside (on either side of truck mind you) and the Joolca. Might have to adjust the Joolca connection, testing that today.

5- Everyone needs more water storage. Kenai has 9gal and we use about 4-5gal a day with 4 of us. I'd like to have 25Gal with us. I looked into unique solutions to put water in the truck cab in dead-space to keep the extra weight forward not backwards. Frontrunner makes a footwell 10gal tank that might work well (I have kids in the back) but sold out. Their jerry cans are nice but the spigots suck and leak and they are spendy. So my plan now is I bought two Sceptre cans on amazon for 44$ each and they might literally be bullet proof. Buddies have dropped them out of Heli's before in military. Plus they come with an O-ring in the top cap and have a great reputation for not leaking. My plan is try and lay them on their side at the kids feet. That would give me 19Gal. I'll likely also bring the big square blue jug (with spigot) and seatbelt it between the kids for 24Gals. Should keep them from fighting too. Double use and all that. Hoping it works but was less than 100$ for a try. If anyone has better built in solution, I'd love to hear it. One last thing, the Scepter cans are about as good as it gets but they don't come with a spout. Getting one is oddly spendy and the tank is still gravity fed which takes up precious table space. BUT...check this out! I'll be testing it this week, looks sweet and cheap for 13$ and no table needed. (link at bottom). Also I just picked up one of these...they look incredible for transferring water easily: Super Siphon (or Safety Siphon on amazon). You just dunk it in once or twice and then it siphons 3 gal per minute without ever having to suck on the end, amazing.

6- I ordered a Lolo Rack with their new integrated swing out. SUPER sick swing out rack in that the rack directly attaches to the swing arm (not a hitch attachment) and it swings to the drivers side...away from the awning, compartment storage, gas outlet. Spendy but they are local so the price isn't bad without paying shipping. Kids, BMX, DJ's, MTB's...it'll all attach just fine which is what we need. No other rack can handle all of the bike styles we wanted plus also have an integrated swing. Hopefully it works out.

7- We've gotten good at the Roofnest tent opening and closing. If you leave the windows open upstairs it doesn't billow. Then you can use the elastic cord to suck it in...pull on that cord to REALLY bring the material in as you close the tent. Then sit on it and latch. Done. I'm not looking forward to being up there if its windy and icy/snowy tho...not so sure we'll be using it in that situation anyways. Also we have a mattress cover on it and just sliced it on the diagonals for the inner hatch. Works.

8- I bought a 4ft RV utility house for the grey water. Its perfect length and screws onto the sink vent fitting outside. I run the hose down into a junky jerry can thats in the wheel well area inside the bed. Its a perfect fit and allows me to capture 5 gal of grey water without hassle or dedicated tanks. Very simple and super handy so we aren't dumping it on the ground there.

Again, this thread is amazing. I am very interested to hear about your experience with the Airhead toilet, and I will be Getting my scout in August but the toilet is probably being delivered afterward (3 month wait). Mine is not coming with the RTT, so i think i will probably install myself (eek, hopefully that goes ok). I bougt the Kenai new-used (but cant pick it up until august, currently sitting at my uncles house 1500 miles away). And yes, a video of the install would be amazing!

GeorgeHayduke

Very interesting! What year is your 2500? My 3500 is an ‘18 with a spray in bed liner and the rear most tie down appears to flex the metal and liner when I push or pull on it. I can’t imagine it taking much abuse but maybe it’s the liner flexing.
Ours is a 2016, as far as I know they didn't change the bed between those model years. We have a shortbed, if yours is a longbed maybe the distance between sheet metal reinforcements is longer and allows for more flex? Idk, just speculating...

svinyard

You are a brave guy getting that RTT installed yourself lol. I'm not that handy in the least. I DEFINITELY think the RTT is freaking amazing tho. It just wouldn't work for us without it. I've been really impressed by the RoofNest for sure too.

I'll send you a photo/video album that documents the install process as well as the electrical work to install the fan switch. So far the install has been freaking sweet. Not sure I'd change a thing. The airhead (with the 2gal liquids bucket) fits so perfectly, its almost like the designed the space exactly for it. Certain thing fit within a 1/2in and its just super clean. Now an update on the thing. I can't tell you how handy it is to have the thing. We use it at our kids sports practices all the time, mostly for just taking a wiz without hitting the gross porta-potty. I can easily dump the urine in 5 mins and its just no big deal, no dump station...simple.

We've put around 5 days of solid waste into (a few trips) and I just emptied the solids bucket yesterday before our long weekend trip. I learned a couple of things. After everyone is hip at ensuring to not get urine in the solids bucket (easy) the rest is just a balance between how much coco fibre is used to balance the waste load. Too little coco (only one brick for us) left it stinking out of the vent (once I sealed with silicon). I then added another brick and then also added extra dry coco fibre after using it. This allowed it to entirely desiccate/dryout easily, but it also used up the capacity a bit quicker than it should have.

So, I went to empty it yesterday and had an M95 mask on and gloves. I double bagged two compostable tall trash bags that we use at home. I opened the thing up and it was definitely full, nearing the very top of the bucket. The good news is that there was literally ZERO yuck smell. It was all dry like coco fibre. So bizarre. I even took my mask off and stuck my nose near the bucket. I'm guessing this is because we had extra coco fibre and also it wasn't in constant use but only weekend use. Regardless, I was stoked that it was no big deal at all to empty...I just put the bags over the top of the bucket, flipped it upside down and away it went. It went out in the trash can today. Easy peasy. I'm sure it won't always be that easy but this time it was. The urine bucket is easy to dump and we make sure to dump it every day...apparently having it over fill and get that into the solids bucket is the worst thing ever. That 2gal fills up fast and we'd likely be pushing it to get 2 days out of it. Again it easy and we spray the bowl down with some stuff similar to simple-green.

Again, this thread is amazing. I am very interested to hear about your experience with the Airhead toilet, and I will be Getting my scout in August but the toilet is probably being delivered afterward (3 month wait). Mine is not coming with the RTT, so i think i will probably install myself (eek, hopefully that goes ok). I bougt the Kenai new-used (but cant pick it up until august, currently sitting at my uncles house 1500 miles away). And yes, a video of the install would be amazing!

Retepick

You are a brave guy getting that RTT installed yourself lol. I'm not that handy in the least. I DEFINITELY think the RTT is freaking amazing tho. It just wouldn't work for us without it. I've been really impressed by the RoofNest for sure too.

I'll send you a photo/video album that documents the install process as well as the electrical work to install the fan switch. So far the install has been freaking sweet. Not sure I'd change a thing. The airhead (with the 2gal liquids bucket) fits so perfectly, its almost like the designed the space exactly for it. Certain thing fit within a 1/2in and its just super clean. Now an update on the thing. I can't tell you how handy it is to have the thing. We use it at our kids sports practices all the time, mostly for just taking a wiz without hitting the gross porta-potty. I can easily dump the urine in 5 mins and its just no big deal, no dump station...simple.

We've put around 5 days of solid waste into (a few trips) and I just emptied the solids bucket yesterday before our long weekend trip. I learned a couple of things. After everyone is hip at ensuring to not get urine in the solids bucket (easy) the rest is just a balance between how much coco fibre is used to balance the waste load. Too little coco (only one brick for us) left it stinking out of the vent (once I sealed with silicon). I then added another brick and then also added extra dry coco fibre after using it. This allowed it to entirely desiccate/dryout easily, but it also used up the capacity a bit quicker than it should have.

So, I went to empty it yesterday and had an M95 mask on and gloves. I double bagged two compostable tall trash bags that we use at home. I opened the thing up and it was definitely full, nearing the very top of the bucket. The good news is that there was literally ZERO yuck smell. It was all dry like coco fibre. So bizarre. I even took my mask off and stuck my nose near the bucket. I'm guessing this is because we had extra coco fibre and also it wasn't in constant use but only weekend use. Regardless, I was stoked that it was no big deal at all to empty...I just put the bags over the top of the bucket, flipped it upside down and away it went. It went out in the trash can today. Easy peasy. I'm sure it won't always be that easy but this time it was. The urine bucket is easy to dump and we make sure to dump it every day...apparently having it over fill and get that into the solids bucket is the worst thing ever. That 2gal fills up fast and we'd likely be pushing it to get 2 days out of it. Again it easy and we spray the bowl down with some stuff similar to simple-green.
Yes, i think i am a bit brave. I am waiting until August to discuss with Ryan from Scout, he says that they may offer to add on the RTT after market. so I will email him at the end of the summer and see what they are planning for RTT additions before i go with it. but for me its vitally important, as you said it changes the entire dynamic of the camper .

the toilet looks so clutch! I am excited to install it and try it out . I think the Airhead toilet and Joolca shower are far superior to those supplied by scout. otherwise Scout seems to offer top of the line. I think i would err on the side of too much coco, rather empty often then have a stinky trailer. i could not imagine anything worse than a scout that smells like an outhouse . and thanks again for the videos and photos! i downloaded all of them to my computer.

Another question for you or anyone else on the thread. the Kenai i found in Montana did not come with the stove. Is the best stove the one that comes with the camper? (dometic 2 burner i believe ) . or is there a better stove? i know it needs to be a low pressure propane stove.

Also, does everyone use aftermarket bolts or are the bolts that come with the truck sufficient to keep the camper in the bed?

thanks again everyone, and especially svinyard for help with the Airhead. so excited to get the camper. finally found a 2500 HD chevy to carry the thing.

nickw

Adventurer
I didn't get a chance to scroll through the entire thread....but how far off the back does the Kenai hang on a 6.5' bed (Ram 2500 in my case)? I want to use a motorcycle hitch carrier and wondering if I have the room from back of camper to handlebars of bike. I have not looked into hitch extensions but std. moto trays concern me enough without the additional leverage.

nickw

Adventurer
We've been enjoying our Kenai for about a month now and took it on a multi-week trip around UT and AZ in early March. We're still thrilled with the camper and think it was the best choice for us given what was on the market. Some observations from that trip:

Heating: The coldest night we had got down to 15F and the Dickinson heater kept the cabover bed in the high 60's which was very comfortable. The aisle and back cabinet areas did get pretty cold though with some frozen condensation in those area. The fireplace effect creates great ambiance, but the drawback is that it's hard to get any of that heat down lower in the camper. It would be tough for a dog sleeping in the aisle to stay warm. On high, the heater puts out 4,500 BTUs, while other heaters in truck campers that I've seen are typically 15,000 or 20,000 BTU's. I think it's a testament to the insulation that you can get away with a smaller heater, and it helps the propane last longer.

Cooking: I was pleasantly surprised with the dometic stovetop. It works great for cooking and the outside propane hookup was convenient in as well. The fan + open window above the stove provided adequate ventilation. The voile straps holding it in place are a little crude but very effective.

Fridge: The dometic fridge functioned great but is a little too big for the spot they gave it. It's hard to access the straps to really tighten it down and it rocks a bit without being secured. If you do get it strapped down, you can't open it easily because the lid hinge design needs more rear clearance and you bump against the window trim.

Propane use: We got about 4-5 days out of each of the 10 pound propane bottles when running the heater for ~12 hours a day and cooking about 1 meal a day. Seemed reasonable to us.

Floorplan: The floorplan is really excellent for our uses. The aisle is wide enough for consenting adults to pass each other and plenty long enough for multiple people to stand and do things. We often had one person standing at the stove/fridge and another person standing in the mudroom area using the counter above the toilet. Storage abounds both inside and out. The Kenai feels really spacious on the inside and the extra height makes the cabover bed quite comfortable. The dinette and Lagun table are comfortable and versatile and the shelf on the passenger side is handy.

Build quality: The camper does feel like it was a bit rushed. There are some bubbles in the exterior skin, some places where caulking looks sloppy, aluminum shavings where everywhere, and a couple plywood voids in unfortunate places. However, none of these issues seem serious and we're understanding of the situation with COVID and early production runs. Scout has been really responsive with any questions/concerns we've raised with them.

Jacks: The jacks have some strong pluses and minuses. They remove super easily which we plan to do for every trip and the integration between the jacks and tiedowns seems well thought out. The jacks have two settings for width, one is super wide (I assume for a dually) but the other setting is a really tight squeeze on our Ram 2500. Tight enough that I'd be concerned about aftermarket wheels with different offsets fitting. The camper is also pretty wobbly when unloaded from the truck, even with the jacks at their lowest setting. Scout actually emailed us telling us not to load or unload the camper until they release a fix for the jacks so they're aware of the issue and working on a fix.

Electrical: We ran completely off the goalzero and solar panel for about 10 days and never plugged into shore power or the truck. Our typical usage was interior lights, cooking fan, phone/laptop charging and ~12 hours/day of heater fan. Most mornings we woke up to the battery in the high 70% range and were back to close to 100% by the end of the day. For our use, the charging and storage seem well balanced, although we were disappointed to discover that Scout doesn't give you the ability to charge the goalzero when you're plugged into the truck (the truck plug only runs the clearance lights).

Tiedowns: The tiedowns are convenient and keep a streamlined look which we like. Being fabric instead of metal, they do stretch and we had to tighten at least one each day. So far no issues with the strength of the hooks on the truck bed.

Rooftop Tent: The RTT continues to be one of the coolest features and we're getting better at closing it while keeping the fabric tucked in. One quirk that we discovered is there's not a great way to protect the foam mattress while preserving the hatch access. We've yet to locate a mattress cover with a donut hole in it :).

Size/Weight: The Kenai works well enough on our Ram 2500 6'4" bed, although a longer bed would be preferable as the COG is behind our rear axle. The RTT also noticeably raises the center of gravity and an aftermarket sway bar was pretty crucial with the coil sprung rear suspension on current Ram 2500's. We tried both keeping the tailgate on and removing it and decided to remove it. Removing it eliminated a nontrivial amount of weight behind the axle and gave us access to our spare tire.

View attachment 649068

View attachment 649073
Off topic - but what size tires are you running?

GeorgeHayduke

Off topic - but what size tires are you running?
They're 285/75R18 Cooper AT3 XLT's. Very pleased with their traction, durability, and load capacity (4080 pounds!).

I don't have it loaded up at the moment to measure overhang relative to the hitch, but the Kenai is 92" long.

nickw

Adventurer
They're 285/75R18 Cooper AT3 XLT's. Very pleased with their traction, durability, and load capacity (4080 pounds!).

I don't have it loaded up at the moment to measure overhang relative to the hitch, but the Kenai is 92" long.
Thanks - looks good, do they fit in spare tire location?

eyemgh

Remember, your tire weight capacity is pressure dependent. That tire has to be at 80 psi to hit that number.

bharl

has anyone installed the YETI LINK VEHICLE INTEGRATION KIT? or know if there is there a factory exterior outlet to make the connection?

also, anyone add a YETI TANK EXPANSION BATTERY yet?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior