Scout Camper

Skiestasnolas

Some of the stuff EightySix brought up was interesting so I pinged Scout about it. Here is info that came back (within an hour...which is cool, including screenshots).

1- They have a Kenai already built, its going out for testing soon to the CEO & Ryan. The CEO gets way up into Northern Canada etc and puts the units through pretty rough conditions apparently. Delivery of ours will be in January sometime.

2- The roof/solar wiring: this is something they are already working on getting tighter and agree its an area of opportunity.

3- Sealant: the sealant isn't silicon but is a proper Manus-Bond 75 AM. They recommend checking the sealed areas of the camper twice a year at least. If water does get into the wall, it won't rot being composite.

4- Screws into walls: there are no wood screws or staples used in securing the cabinets to the camper (I didn't ask about wiring loom?). RTA style fasteners with metal strips in the walls allow the cabinets to be secured to the camper structure.

5- Marine flooring isn't secured to the floor but is on top of anti-slip material. This allows you to remove the flooring and shake out dirt/rocks etc. I didn't know this but having kids, I freaking love it. I noticed no slipping at all with this when using it myself...I assumed it was stapled or something.

So all in all, it sounds pretty solid. Its cool that this is the CEO's personal camper as well (he uses an Olympic) and that its definitely getting pushed a bit. Not just RV park camping in Cali. I'm stoked to hear its seemingly well built. That composite structure along with the high-end components is definitely a sweet setup. Again for us, nothing else even comes close simply because they don't legit sleep 4 people. Its in a market of its own.
I can attest that #3 will be very important. On pick-up day we opened the door to my Olympic at Apache in Portland there was water coming in. There was a bad storm the night before there were some small gaps in the sealant. They took the Roofnest totally off and resealed everything. I have not had any new water come in since then but I'll be checking the seals every year.

GeorgeHayduke

I also noticed when the temp drops around 32F the charging input goes wayyyy down.
Same on our Kenai, lithium ion batteries can't be charged when it's below freezing but they can output power down to like -5F. It actually made sense for us to run a battery warmer off the yeti to warm itself up so it start recharging.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
That's true. Lithium doesn't charge much in freezing temperatures. Question is: How cold was it in the camper? Did you have the heat going?

Skiestasnolas

That's true. Lithium doesn't charge much in freezing temperatures. Question is: How cold was it in the camper? Did you have the heat going?
My charging issues started when the inside of the camper was around 35-40F. Charging really dropped when we were up in the Sierra’s and didn’t stay in the Scout or run the heater (full sun but the inside of the Scout was probably in the upper 20sF). A few hours out of the mountains and back in desert and it was charging fine.

Quick tip.. If your Goal Zero 1500x ever becomes unresponsive or the lights on any of the individual units turns red - the first step is to reboot the battery. Hold down the “UNITS” and “INFO” until the battery starts to reboot. From what Goal Zero says most of the time that resets the battery and you’ll be up and running in about a minute. Unfortunately, my 12V unit never came back up.

Aubry

I have a Scout Olympic w/ the Yeti Goal Zero 1500x... A few weeks ago I lost power from the 12V output on a ski trip. The 12v output powers the heating fan, internal lights, and we had the fridge running on the 12V. We were able to switch the fridge to AC and use flashlights but the lack of a heating fan was no fun. Goal Zero support was quick but there is no reboot or fix for our problem...just a bad unit. Has anyone else experienced issues w/ the 12v output on the 1500x? I also noticed when the temp drops around 32F the charging input goes wayyyy down.

We are stuck for weeks waiting on a special "lithium box" from Goal Zero to ship it back...then a few more weeks before a new battery is shipped back. Not ideal.
IF YOU DECIDE TO SELL, CALL ME

Aubry

I can attest that #3 will be very important. On pick-up day we opened the door to my Olympic at Apache in Portland there was water coming in. There was a bad storm the night before there were some small gaps in the sealant. They took the Roofnest totally off and resealed everything. I have not had any new water come in since then but I'll be checking the seals every year.
If you decide to sell, call me!

Skiestasnolas

If you decide to sell, call me!
It’s been years but we are ready to sell. Check out the listing for the camper or the truck with the camper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior