Scepter Jerry can question

Also, I don't think they can ship Non Carb Fuel cans to a California address. Making the declaration that they are not for fuel storage clears the Carb Police ban. Just like the race fuel cans are now called Utility cans. Nothing in the title calls it a "fuel can". Fuel is the keyword.

aaen

Adventurer
Hmm, sounds like I need to buy a pallet of these cans throw them in the box of the truck and bring em down to the US. I pick them up regularly her pin Canadafor 65Cdn or about 40 USD for new cans.

jgaz

Adventurer
Hmm, sounds like I need to buy a pallet of these cans throw them in the box of the truck and bring em down to the US. I pick them up regularly her pin Canadafor 65Cdn or about 40 USD for new cans.

Aaen, You might be half joking, but if you had a partner in the US you would sell them all and quickly I’d bet. If I ever drive back to my former home in Michigan again that’s exactly what I plan to do. I’d cross the bridge in Sarnia Ontario, stop at Princess Auto, and grab all I had room for.

Oh, and stop for Chinese at a great little dive bar while I was over there.

Last edited:

jgaz

Adventurer
Aren't the cans in the 2 links selling for about 40 each delivered?
This thread started talking about the Scepter, plastic, MFCs. The cans the gentleman purchased from Roverparts were the NATO, Metal, Wavian brand fuel cans. They were purchased at good price, I might add, considering they are the genuine Wavian can.
The cans I joked about “importing” from Canada are the Scepter units that seem to be preferred by many in the Overland crowd and are somewhat difficult to find regularly in the states for a decent price.

slowtwitch

Adventurer
I like the Nato/Wavians. Easier to rig a lock onto. No threads to muck up. Plastic in the sun degrades. I think a lot of the scepter buzz is internet fueled irrational exuberance.

aaen

Adventurer
Oh trust me I am not joking. I have thought about doing this for awhile with a guy I know. We have talked about it a few times. I'd just go to the source and buy pallet, screw Princess Auto. Plus I do not like the nato colours, mine are red, much more preferred and draw less looks from people as they do not look like your typical sceptre can (green with red plastic piece) so they do not go missing often.

This thread started talking about the Scepter, plastic, MFCs. The cans the gentleman purchased from Roverparts were the NATO, Metal, Wavian brand fuel cans. They were purchased at good price, I might add, considering they are the genuine Wavian can.
The cans I joked about “importing” from Canada are the Scepter units that seem to be preferred by many in the Overland crowd and are somewhat difficult to find regularly in the states for a decent price.

rayra

Expedition Leader
I like the Nato/Wavians. Easier to rig a lock onto. No threads to muck up. Plastic in the sun degrades. I think a lot of the scepter buzz is internet fueled irrational exuberance.

Well, you're wrong, and badly. The milspec MFCs (which the scepter jugs are) stand up to a tremendous amount of use and abuse. We used them every wrong way you could imagine in the Marines in extreme conditions at both ends of the thermometer without design failures that I'm aware of. The only failures I ever saw were human induced, when some idiot got hold of a cap wrench and grossly overtightened them. Then the caps crack. Or the grit that got in the designed gasket-less seal makes permanent damage to the sealing lip / groove, because someone failed to make sure the mating surfaces were clean.
Those plastic scepter NATO-spec jugs - MFCs and MWCs have been in use all over the world for at least 30yrs. And that's why they became favored in the off-road crowd, long before 'Overlanding' became a fad.

They just work. And they are thick enough that they work for a very long time. And you have to misuse them to make them balloon. Fill them as full as you can make them.

And the guys (still) talking about illegally importing them in violation of US regs, good luck to you, seriously. We need as many good cans as we can get down here, since our own government is so determinedly stupid. But the 'import'(smuggling) prices get ludicrous, even before they are converted into Canadian pesos.

And that's all part of why the scepter 'civilian' jugs are taking off down here. $25 - HALF the price - for a 'civilian' 20L jug that is far thicker than any old Blitz or other similar plastic jug ever was, even though the 'civilian' version is only 2/3 as thick as a mil-spec MFC.
Same goes for the 'water' versions (which are identical in the 'civilian' version, just different colors and internal spout), which sell for $19, vice things like LCI's 20L MWC, which go for about $25ea last time I looked.
The only problem with the 'civilian' scepters is that they are a different shape, fatter / wider bottom and don't fit in NATO jerry can holders.

MCX

TalesFromTheDesert.com
No I would not recommend the No Spill cans for off-road use. These are more like the typical utility cans with a special easier to use spout. Instead of looking at overpriced hard to get Scepter cans why not look at getting some genuine NATO metal cans. Yes they are heavier but much easier to find and cheaper.

One of the better sources for genuine Wavian made NATO cans:
http://www.roverparts.com/nxt/?Category=ACC.+-++OFF-ROAD&Subcategory=Jerry+Cans

There are other sources out there for NATO type cans but most are overseas knock offs.

I use the No Spill plastic cans with some very rigorous off-road in the heat of the desert and have never had any issues.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
The Atlantic British cans are good but they open a bit rough and I wasn't cognizant of the pressure change from sea level to 10k+ feet. Shot a hell of a stream of gas six feet over my shoulder, covering me as well. Hopefully I won't make the same mistake again but they still make me nervous.

SameGuy

Observer
The Atlantic British cans are good but they open a bit rough and I wasn't cognizant of the pressure change from sea level to 10k+ feet. Shot a hell of a stream of gas six feet over my shoulder, covering me as well. Hopefully I won't make the same mistake again but they still make me nervous.
impressive that they hold pressure so well. Not that anyone wants a gasoline shower, but I was planning on making my rack with them laying on their spines, pretty sure they will remain leak free in that configuration. I have heard of people burping them from time to time when gaining altitude or heat, hopefully that will do the trick to keep the pressure from getting out of hand.

Lucky j

Explorer
The septer nato bung strap are related to fuel type. Did not know that before I bought some replacement ones. Got greay starp with a K on it, took me a few weeks to realized that it wqs for Kerosen.

When I got my can at a surplus store for 9,99$ can a piece, i also got a spigot original metal for 20,00$ can. Was for diesel, but made a simple welded mod and it was perfect until I lost it last year.

As for the gasket, mine was probably for diesel, got some to replace them cause they were wornout. But never got any real issues with original or replacement ones.

Only real draw back is that you need the seperate spigot and have to remember to bring and keep clean of debris. Pretty much only used these around the house and on travel. But for only 3-4 kolpin 2 gallins thank for small machines and motorbike.

Just love my used septers.

pluton

Adventurer
impressive that they hold pressure so well. Not that anyone wants a gasoline shower, but I was planning on making my rack with them laying on their spines, pretty sure they will remain leak free in that configuration. I have heard of people burping them from time to time when gaining altitude or heat, hopefully that will do the trick to keep the pressure from getting out of hand.
Well...now you know to go slow opening gas cans when the altitude has changed.
My NATO steel cans that are 6 or 7 years old remain leak-free when carried on their side, which is my standard procedure in order to minimize vehicle height. Scepter fuel cans...based on the 4 or 5 different ones I owned... leak more vapor than the NATO steel cans, and will noticeably stink up any closed space.

Kerensky97

Xterra101
I've carried the old Wedco plastic 5 gallon gas cans on their side offroad and never had any leaks even when they swell from altitude changes (and they're easy to vent). The gasket on that old thing is worse if anything than on the plastic Scepter's and LCI. It's all pretty simple plastic-gasket-plastic seals, as long as you keep them clean, the gasket isn't rotted, and you don't cross-thread they will be fine. They're not quite as resilient as the military cans but the military cans are really overkill unless you're dropping a pallet of them out the back of a C-130. Plus you don't have to carry a messy "Donkey ********" metal nozzle that will inevitably get lost. The $35 scepters will do all you need, are legal, and cost half as much.

I will always take plastic over metal cans, there's a reason the military stopped using metal. Have you ever had to handle them after they've been in the summer desert sun? Conductive, scorching hot metal is not what I want to see ignitable fumes coming out of. And even if the temp is below their spontaneous combustion point you don't want to be tightly holding blistering hot metal with your bare hands for the 5mins it takes to drain the gas into your tank. So add gloves to the list of extra accessories you need for metal cans.

The only drawback with the Scepters is the crap CARB compliant nozzle, but you can buy better replacement nozzles to swap out. If you're not worried about breaking the law with non-compliant Military cans, getting rid of the locking CARB nozzle isn't an issue.

Attachments

• wedco-gasoline-gallon-plastic-gas_1_24cf077181ab516ee88aeccd3dadcbf2.jpg
    wedco-gasoline-gallon-plastic-gas_1_24cf077181ab516ee88aeccd3dadcbf2.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 31

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz

Members online