"Safari Cab" modular hardtop project

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Here's a fun toy... My 16-year-old son Alex built us a flash app that allows you to pick the Jeep color, and the color of the roof and sides of the hardtop. Just click on the screen image below and the application will load in a new window, then you can click on the color names and see the Jeep and top in the colors you pick.

Disclaimer 1: Just because I have seven different hardtop colors in the app doesn't mean the company would offer it in all of those colors. Most likely the offering would be restricted to just a few colors, so let us know what you like best.

Disclaimer 2: I took the RGB values for these colors from the PaintScratch.com website; they're a company that provides color-matched touch-up paint and they show a sample of each color on their website - if you don't like how the image on the screen matches your Jeep, hey, I used what they provided :).

If you find some colors or color combinations for tops that look really good, let's hear what you think...

---------------------
Questions about the Safari Cab? Try here first: Safari Cab FAQ
---------------------

Last edited:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Talented family!

I am digging the light grey with white top personally

LtGrey.gif

Flyn G

Observer
Here's a fun toy... My 16-year-old son Alex built us a flash app that allows you to pick the Jeep color, and the color of the roof and sides of the hardtop. Just click on the screen image below and the application will load in a new window, then you can click on the color names and see the Jeep and top in the colors you pick.

Disclaimer 1: Just because I have seven different hardtop colors in the app doesn't mean the company would offer it in all of those colors. Most likely the offering would be restricted to just a few colors, so let us know what you like best.

Disclaimer 2: I took the RGB values for these colors from the PaintScratch.com website; they're a company that provides color-matched touch-up paint and they show a sample of each color on their website - if you don't like how the image on the screen matches your Jeep, hey, I used what they provided :).

If you find some colors or color combinations for tops that look really good, let's hear what you think...

---------------------
---------------------

You have got to be a proud Papa!

Small request if it is at all possible, could we get two more buttons that would populate the side and top as the chosen body color for those of us who are considering painting the top to match?

I did a work around using black but it just isn't the same...

thanks bunches!
FlynG

jscherb

Expedition Leader
You have got to be a proud Papa!

Small request if it is at all possible, could we get two more buttons that would populate the side and top as the chosen body color for those of us who are considering painting the top to match?

I did a work around using black but it just isn't the same...

thanks bunches!
FlynG

Thanks! Alex did a nice job.

I knew that request was coming :). I didn't do it because the way this Flash works internally is that there are separate images for each color of each part. I'd have to add about 22 more roof images and 22 more side panel images, and the swf file is almost 600k already.

I assumed everyone would know that it would look good painted body color and they wouldn't have to see it.

Flyn G

Observer
Thanks! Alex did a nice job.

I knew that request was coming :). I didn't do it because the way this Flash works internally is that there are separate images for each color of each part. I'd have to add about 22 more roof images and 22 more side panel images, and the swf file is almost 600k already.

I assumed everyone would know that it would look good painted body color and they wouldn't have to see it.

That's OK, I figured there must have been a reason but it never hurts to ask either.

Flyn g

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I roughed out the inside roof ribs this morning - these will add strength to the roof panel and will be part of the support structure for the rook rack. One rib is shown against the rear of the roof master; the ribs will be made from fiberglass, and they'll be fiberglassed in place. The approximate position of the rear bars of the roll bar is shown by the circles; by nice coincidence the XJ rack rails are at the same spacing. I've designed supports to go between the top of the roll bars and the bottom of the ribs to enable the roof rack to carry a decent amount of weight.

For the LJ, I plan three ribs - one just ahead of the main hoop of the roll bar, one just behind the speaker pods, and the third a few inches forward of the rear of the roof. The rib I roughed out is about 1 1/2" wide, I might make them slightly wider so lights or something could be mounted in them.

RoofRibs2.jpg

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
DEAR MYSTERY COMPANY...

I just had a nice idea, which if yall have not already thought of, I hope you would consider...

If you build this top (which I sincerely hope you will) won't you also consider building this top in a SOFT top as well? You could even go so far as doing the color interchangeable sides (but would not have to).

I am just thinking how much I really like this top, the extra room, and I REALLY like the look, so having this top on in a soft top would be a major bonus for me. I would likely be very interested in replacing my soft top (which needs to go soon anyhow) with a soft version of this just as much as I am considering selling my factory hard top to pick up one of these hard tops.

Jeff, I hope you do not mind my mentioning this on your thread. I thought others might want to comment, though we all know you are not looking to make a soft top, I just like the styling and once I got used to it I would hate to have to take it off every summer and go back to the dopey looking factory tops. If you want me to delete my post I will do that for you.

Brian

jscherb

Expedition Leader
DEAR MYSTERY COMPANY...

I just had a nice idea, which if yall have not already thought of, I hope you would consider...

If you build this top (which I sincerely hope you will) won't you also consider building this top in a SOFT top as well? You could even go so far as doing the color interchangeable sides (but would not have to).

I am just thinking how much I really like this top, the extra room, and I REALLY like the look, so having this top on in a soft top would be a major bonus for me. I would likely be very interested in replacing my soft top (which needs to go soon anyhow) with a soft version of this just as much as I am considering selling my factory hard top to pick up one of these hard tops.

Jeff, I hope you do not mind my mentioning this on your thread. I thought others might want to comment, though we all know you are not looking to make a soft top, I just like the styling and once I got used to it I would hate to have to take it off every summer and go back to the dopey looking factory tops. If you want me to delete my post I will do that for you.

Brian

Brian,
No problem mentioning it, it is sort of on topic and the company reads all these posts so it is a good way to connect with them.

I do have a little experience building custom soft tops, I did the one below for my Retro Wrangler, although I don't think I want to tackle a full-length soft top...

RetroWrangler6.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
This morning I'm working on fine-tuning all of the module joints so they can bolt together in any configuration with perfect panel alignment. I was at a point where I had two rear corners attached to the LJ side panel, and was reminded of a concept drawing I did a while back, so I thought I'd post it.

You could arrange the modules in a configuration to make a nice camper that would go on top of a couple of Jeep tubs back-halved and joined together... if you made it the full length of the LJ roof panel you'd have plenty of room to lay down and sleep (7'), or a shorter one could be made.

Anyway just for fun, here's a photo I snapped this morning along with the old concept drawing... probably you wouldn't use this window configuration for a camper, but I was just doodling with my drawing program that day...

SafariCamper2.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Design question for the day: How important is it that the Safari Cab can be disassembled?

I've been going over the details of what it will take to get the tops into production with the fiberglass shop guys, and they made a suggestion that could reduce the cost and assembly time of the top, but their suggestion means that the sides would be permanently bonded to the top.

So I need your input: is it important that the top could be disassembled into a separate roof panel and side panels, or would it be acceptable if the whole thing was permanently bonded together like other tops on the market?

All along I've done the design and mold master work so the tops could be disassembled, but since the fiberglass guys made the suggestion, I'm asking for your input now. Please let me know what you think.

Here's a photo I snapped today of the nearly complete LJ side panel. This is how I would plan to mold the sides for my top - all in one piece. This is also most likely how the sides for the production tops would be molded. All I've got to do to finish the woodworking phase of the project is the finalize the upper door surround to for the right door gap, I'm working on that today.

LJSide1.jpg

BTW the good news on the discussions with the fiberglass shop is that we could be getting them to turn out prototype parts pretty soon (instead of my doing the molds and prototype parts myself at home).

---------------------

99wj

Adventurer
it was good, and you went and made it so much better with that camper, that thing is an awsome concept

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
I really like the idea of having the tops come apart in the same manner that Series LR tops do.

Then you can buy different sides and roof sections in order to mix-n-match for an estate top or a pickup cab or something in between or whatever.

I also like the idea of knocking it down for storage. I expect my my Jeep will be soft top all the time except on extended travels or winter time.

$0.02

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
...Then you can buy different sides and roof sections in order to mix-n-match for an estate top or a pickup cab or something in between or whatever...
If the company molds the side panels in one piece like I showed in the photo above of the LJ side, there wouldn't be too much "mix and match" ability. Mix and match would only happen if the company molds each piece separately the way I've made the master parts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior