-->

Sad End to This Cautionary Tale, As Folks Start to Head Back Out Into the Wilds, Pls Be Careful

skfitz

Is that a shorter route?
No, it's not shorter. The key takeaway is that it was a route. see below

If they were bent on hiking to the road, why didn't they take Sheep Canyon?

No mountaineering equipment required for Sheep Canyon, and, if I recall correctly, the maps show it actually reaching the road, in contrast to Willow, which ends in a terminal loop.

skfitz

We don't know what map they had... I suspect it was different than the one you are looking at.
Is there a map that shows Willow (the route taken by Lofgren and Henkel) as a trail linking Mormon Point to where the couple broke down? If so, someone screwed up.

rruff

Explorer
Is there a map that shows Willow (the route taken by Lofgren and Henkel) as a trail linking Mormon Point to where the couple broke down? If so, someone screwed up.
Beats me!... but there are loads of maps that don't show any trails in the area at all... including the official park map.

Probably knowing nothing, they took the most direct and obvious route. The big error they made was continuing on when it got challenging instead of trying a different canyon.

AbleGuy

A Son of the Purple Sage

pith helmet

My wife and I keep small day packs/go bags for small hikes or in case of a fire or any other reason we’d have to quickly leave the vehicle in camp, something I feel is especially important in the fiery west.

I work in the SE woods and in my field vest is always water, food and a compass no matter how long I plan to be away from the truck. While where I work isn’t as remote or vast as places in the west, more than once I have come up on old half-covered abandoned hand dug wells and have known one timber cruiser who fell in one.

I have also been legitimately lost for an hour or two on overcast days when I just got disoriented, panicked a bit and committed to the wrong plan.

So glad this mans story ended well!

AbleGuy

A Son of the Purple Sage
I work in the SE woods and in my field vest is always water, food and a compass no matter how long I plan to be away from the truck. While where I work isn’t as remote or vast as places in the west, more than once I have come up on old half-covered abandoned hand dug wells and have known one timber cruiser who fell in one.
The emergency carry vest sounds like a great idea. These can so easily carry a lot of gear, and still leave room for your daypack.

What make/model do you have?

This could be an interesting separate thread…’Show Me Yer Vest.”

chet6.7

Explorer
The emergency carry vest sounds like a great idea. These can so easily carry a lot of gear, and still leave room for your daypack.

What make/model do you have?

This could be an interesting separate thread…’Show Me Yer Vest.”
Yes it would, I have been looking for a warm weather vest that is not a fishing vest.
Like this one below, any know what the brand is?
snapshotkkk.jpg

Verkstad

Raggarkung
Yes it would, I have been looking for a warm weather vest that is not a fishing vest.
If you want to carry alot of small stuff, you might look at a surveyor vest. Of course, you get hi-vis colours too.
To carry alot of stuff, perhaps a verktygsväst.
At my job its a million and one small things to constantly have at hand, I normally use a surveyor vest.
Sorry, dunno its manufacturer, I like that its made primarily of nylon mesh.
At that, its still fairly warm wearing as its loaded, holds more tightly to your body than just your shirt normally will.

Last edited:

NatersXJ6

Explorer
If you want to carry alot of small stuff, you might look at a surveyor vest. Of course, you get hi-vis colours too.
To carry alot of stuff, perhaps a verktygsväst.
At my job its a million and one small things to constantly have at hand, I normally use a surveyor vest.
Sorry, dunno its manufacturer, I like that its made primarily of nylon mesh.
At that, its still fairly warm wearing as its loaded, holds more tightly to your body than just your shirt normally will.
I wear a surveyor vest with more crap than I should carry in the factory too. I’ve looked into various “tactical”/Molle vests in the past as I wanted the flexibility of all the worlds pouches but I needed the hi-visibility ratings.