Running the TAT in a 4x4

BirchHill

goat farmer
Just curious how much of the new part in TN is paved vs gravel? Any issues with doing the new part on 4 wheels? I would love to do this in the next couple years when the kids get a bit older.

Jeff@QuadShop

Explorer
Just curious how much of the new part in TN is paved vs gravel? Any issues with doing the new part on 4 wheels? I would love to do this in the next couple years when the kids get a bit older.

I don't know as I haven't run the new section yet but plan to in a few weeks. There will be no issues at all running in a 4x4, I will be driving my Mazda this time. 98% of the entire TAT can be done in a 4x4.

drgnhrt1979

Adventurer
I don't know as I haven't run the new section yet but plan to in a few weeks. There will be no issues at all running in a 4x4, I will be driving my Mazda this time. 98% of the entire TAT can be done in a 4x4.

I, as I am sure the rest of us, will be looking forward to hear back from your trip and an update on road surfaces to be encountered.

Chuck59

Observer

Please consider a report on your trip. I am planning a trip on the Tennessee portion this summer with my wife in our TJL / trailer / and our 4 legged children.

Bandit9

Observer
I stopped after the Rockies in Dove Creek, CO. That was on my WR450 dirt bike. I've been chipping away at the TAT state by state since 05.

I have a built up Jeep now. I also have some free time this winter. Was thinking about running the rest of the TAT in the Jeep from Dove Creek, Colorado to the Pacific.

With the Rockies behind me now, you think the rest of the way West is doable in Winter Time? Aside from a possible snow storm or two, I'm thinking it wouldn't be bad across Utah, Nevada, and most of Oregon, till you got into the central part of the state. However, I have only driven through all of those areas on Interstates. So I would like to hear from someone who has done the Monticello to the Pacific Ocean. Any significant passes to navigate after the Rockies?

ttengineer

Adventurer
Im affraid I too have been bitten by this bug. Im off to Overland Expo East here in a few weeks to look for some need upgrades to my Truck. My question is:

Is the TAT doable in a SRW Ram 3500? Ive got a Carli 3" Lift and 37s and Im affraid that the truck will be too wide to navigate parts of the TAT. For me,its only worth doing if I can run 98-100% of the trail.

x32792

Adventurer
Im affraid I too have been bitten by this bug. Im off to Overland Expo East here in a few weeks to look for some need upgrades to my Truck. My question is:

Is the TAT doable in a SRW Ram 3500? Ive got a Carli 3" Lift and 37s and Im affraid that the truck will be too wide to navigate parts of the TAT. For me,its only worth doing if I can run 98-100% of the trail.

I ran the Eastern portion of the TAT in my stock '01 Wrangler. I turned the 4x4 on only a few times. If it wasn't wet, the Eastern portion could be done in a Hugo or VW bug. The Western portion is more rugged and has narrow places -- Perhaps too narrow in places for a big truck. John H

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur

There are re-routes every year . . . but when I rode the western half in 2008, some parts of it were too narrow for a truck - even a small truck. I believe 54" was the max width on the section that comes to mind. By that I mean, there were steel posts limiting access.

But, given what the TAT is (a collection of existing roads & trails), there are nearly infinite ways around. Any part that is too narrow/steep/loose/muddy/whatever, you can probably find a way around it without too much trouble. And that's the beauty of it.

ttengineer

Adventurer
Are there major differences between Sams maps and GPSKevin?

From what I can tell, GPSKevin does not follow the same route.

Jeff@QuadShop

Explorer
Are there major differences between Sams maps and GPSKevin?

From what I can tell, GPSKevin does not follow the same route.

Correct, Kevin's tracks do not follow the TAT exactly. As a matter of fact, Kevin's tracks are far outdated and actually cross private land in more than one place. Sam has made the proper corrections to make sure the TAT doesn't cross private property or dangerous areas.
It's not just the TAT tracks on his site that are outdated, there are several on his site including the Trans Canada trail that could put riders in danger if they don't use the official tracks from the original sources!
I would not recommend using the tracks from Kevin's site. He's actually in some hot water for crossing BLM land without the proper permits!

Patriot

Observer
Don’t mean to resurrect an old thread, but has anybody done the TAT recently in a 4x4? We are planning on doing it next year considering it with a couple of tacomas pulling one small teardrop style camper.
Wondering about time that we should allow, considering leaving from eastern Tennessee and picking up part of our party in Tulsa trying to figure how many days we should leave for that portion of the trip at least, from what I've read that seems like the easiest part of the TAT, planning on purchasing maps from Sam C.
Thanks

Jeff@QuadShop

Explorer
Don’t mean to resurrect an old thread, but has anybody done the TAT recently in a 4x4? We are planning on doing it next year considering it with a couple of tacomas pulling one small teardrop style camper.
Wondering about time that we should allow, considering leaving from eastern Tennessee and picking up part of our party in Tulsa trying to figure how many days we should leave for that portion of the trip at least, from what I've read that seems like the easiest part of the TAT, planning on purchasing maps from Sam C.
Thanks

It's hard to say without knowing your speed averages but I'd guess 4-5 days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior