Running the TAT in a 4x4

brushogger

Explorer
This is also on our bucket list too. We're going to try the continental divide trail this summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

x32792

Adventurer
ahh too bad. Do you have them anywhere these days?

On AdvRider.com there is a rider called DR. Rock. He published the most comprehensive and photo rich TAT ride report I have ever seen....Take a look at that.

haven

Expedition Leader
here's the link to the index to Dr Rock's cross country ride(s). The Normandy Invasion is not as well documented as this trip is.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=344776

The plan was to ride as far as reasonable during a 2 week period, then stash the bike, fly home, and continue the next time a 2 week vacation was available. There have been 8 legs to the journey so far, including 3 legs to cross from New York to Reno, 2 legs up the pacific coast to Anchorage, 1 leg riding around Alaska and northwest Canada, 1 leg to Edmonton, and 1 leg south to Idaho.

The travellers camped often, but also stayed in motels. They packed very light, more like bicycle tourists.

The motorcycles used are Suzuki DRZ-400s, relatively inexpensive dual sport models. No autobahn-burning megabuck models here. Typical average speed is below 40 mph.

bob91yj

Resident **************
Good stuff Jeff!

I'd never heard of this trip before, why is it said to be East to West only?

Would a cage make it across that little wooden bridge?

I have a new found respect for anyone attempting overlanding on a motorcycle. I'm sure it's not typical, but the bike guys on my recent Death Valley trip took a beating.

Jeff@QuadShop

Explorer
Good stuff Jeff!

I'd never heard of this trip before, why is it said to be East to West only?

Would a cage make it across that little wooden bridge?

I have a new found respect for anyone attempting overlanding on a motorcycle. I'm sure it's not typical, but the bike guys on my recent Death Valley trip took a beating.

They say east to west because that's the way the roll charts are written. However, most people transfer the data to GPS so you can run it any which direction that you want.

The wooden bridge isn't actually on the TAT itself, it is an optional (and very hard) route called the Rainbow Trail. No chance of ever getting anything other than two wheels through that trail!

Actually I see more people doing adv travel on bikes than I do in trucks.

Ridge Runner

Delta V
I'm curious, where does the trail from Jellico go? I live in Oneida, which is on the other side of the mountain from Jellico and this is the first time I've heard of the TAT. I was just wondering if it runs through here or goes further south.

Jeff@QuadShop

Explorer
Actually the TAT has been rerouted in TN, the old route is to the north in purple/red. The new route is to the south in green and starts in Tellico Plains. They did this because the old route has been mostly paved since it was first mapped out.

tntat2way-L.jpg

OkieRunner

I am doing 3 days in Arkansas, mainly on the TAT, in a couple of weeks. I will try to take a million pictures and will do a writeup on here.

Ridge Runner

Delta V
Thanks, Jeff. The old route (horizontal part at the beginning) actually runs exactly where I thought it would. I'm not surprised at the beginning of the yellow portion, either, although one could easily still start at Jellico and ride to the start of the yellow route on backroads/trails.

Jeff@QuadShop

Explorer
Thanks, Jeff. The old route (horizontal part at the beginning) actually runs exactly where I thought it would. I'm not surprised at the beginning of the yellow portion, either, although one could easily still start at Jellico and ride to the start of the yellow route on backroads/trails.

The yellow track is not the TAT, it's jut a way to connect the old start and new start.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz